Detector Training

I will be retiring in 3 months...yaaaa hoooooo!  I have been detecting for relics for about 2 years.  I plan on buying a new or used Minelab detector in the next couple of months and trying my hand at gold detecting. I will be roaming around in a custom 5th wheel set up I've been working on for the past year.  My question is, how advantageous would it be for me to take gold detecting training from a store I buy from or from a private party that offers it?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AUgetter said:

I will be retiring in 3 months...yaaaa hoooooo!  I have been detecting for relics for about 2 years.  I plan on buying a new or used Minelab detector in the next couple of months and trying my hand at gold detecting. I will be roaming around in a custom 5th wheel set up I've been working on for the past year.  My question is, how advantageous would it be for me to take gold detecting training from a store I buy from or from a private party that offers it?

As mentioned, getting training from a dealer is the best way to go.  It is offered by several well-known and capable dealers including Gerry’s detectors in Idaho, and Rob’s detectors, Chris at Arizona Outback and Bill at Nugget Shooter in Arizona.   Definitely go for training which they offer for free with purchase of many of their detectors, or at least go to one of their paid classes if you buy elsewhere and don’t have a good source for training with it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

First of all AU; Welcome to the forum! And congrats on soon joining many of us in the retired ranks!!

💰GET THE TRAINING!!!💰

If you are former or current military, Gerry (as in Jerry; not Gary) gives a 15% discount, and loves to chat!! The others are great too, but I don't know about a discount with them! And to be fair, I've only had dealings with Gerry so far!!  Best to call them all and inquire; and get to know them! They will be your best sources for success!! And that's no exaggeration!! Wish you much luck🍀, and keep us updated!👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a graduate of multiple trainings.  Each class taught me something else.  

First there is the training you get on a specific detector.  It sounds like you are taking an economical route and getting a pre-used detector.  You will save enough on it to more than pay for a couple of 'get to know your detector' trainings.  Before you schedule them look at several YouTubes on your detector.  Just make sure you select a gold detector.  Dealers have those used and traded in also and they will have checked them out before they sell it to you.

Second type of training is where to go.  This may also determine where you buy your detector.  Get training from a place you like to stay.  You can join GPAA and go to any of their claims in several states but that doesn't tell you where to go on those claims.  Detectorists will be friendly and give you some pointy fingers and say 'there is gold all over out there.'  That doesn't get you some of the practical help you need.  Where is that 5th Wheeler going to take you for most of the time?  It probably won't be in Arizona this summer.  Go north and see Gerry if you are anxious for summer hunting.  Call several shops and see what they have for sale.

I tried too long to learn on my own and be secretive about where I was going to look and I wasted time.  Pay someone a couple hundred to take you out to a gold patch and it will be worth it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The only place to go would be Gerry's Detectors, Boise Id., as they are some of the best people for what you are asking.

Just remember to make sure that you understand your detector before they let you go home and ask plenty of questions. There are no stupid questions when it comes to detecting, believe me I have asked many of them and have always got good answers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They say get the best detector and the best trainer it will save you a lot of time and frustration. However any training is better than none, I know how much I could of saved if there were courses available. A limit amount books were around back then and they help a lot. Now you are retired you will think you have plenty time to detect but you would be wrong. It is very additive and you are growing older every day.😁

• Like 3

Also learn how to research and where to find gold.  That is probably even more important than learning your detector because if you don’t put the coil over the gold you will find nothing.

• Like 5