Detector Training

If you TRULY want to be a AU GETTER, and not merely a "nuggetshooting wannabe", get training from a qualified trainer, as well as from the better nuggetshooting "how to" books and YouTube videos. There are NO shortcuts to success in the goldfields. 

• Like 7

Wow!  Thanks all for the fantastic responses to my post.  I look forward getting training.  I'm also very interested in joining the GPAA or maybe even the LDMA.  It would be nice to hear your feedback on how worthwhile that would be.  Should do a separate topic post if I want to know more about the associations?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUgetter said:

I'm also very interested in joining the GPAA or maybe even the LDMA.  It would be nice to hear your feedback on how worthwhile that would be.  Should do a separate topic post if I want to know more about the associations?

From my viewpoint (and location), the GPAA has helped me learn about finding gold.  It's more than just about helping members but also non-members (especially pre-adults) so it has a service organization contribution as well.

In particular I've taken advantage of the organization's claims, of which there are many (60+, from memory so don't take that literally) spread over the Western states including Alaska.  There are a couple private properties in the East that the GPAA pays for access to as well.  Other benefits include a bi-monthly magazine, local club meetings, initiation packages (gold pan, how-to videos, gold vials, etc.).  Outside of the pandemic they conduct half a dozen shows around the country each year (those are open to members and non-members alike).  From what I've seen (and certainly in my area) the majority of members are into gravity gold recovery, not metal deteting.  However, there are many metal detectorists among the membership including Kevin Hoagland who is a (paid) higher-up (I think his title is 'Director of Research') and a well known knowledgeable and successful metal detectorist.  He writes articles about detecting for gold as well as many other topics in the bi-monthly magazine.  He has at least one article in every issue, usually more than one.

In most (all?) western states you also have the options of joining state-wide clubs not associated with GPAA and even some local clubs.  What all of these types of organizations share is a commonality among members for the hobby/pasttime/endeavor of searching for and finding naturally occurring gold.  You can get lots of good advice (and occasionally some not-so-good advice) from other members, for free.

In my case the advice and help I received from other GPAA members did not come close to the instruction and knowledge I got from taking Gerry's class.  It was an elementary introduction whereas Gerry's class is more like an intermediate lab study.

• Like 3

AUgetter,  1st off, thanks for taking the time to post to Detector Prospector site as there is a wealth of knowledge being shared.  I would have replied sooner, but was actually in NV over the weekend testing some new MD'ing toys.

I feel detector knowledge is the most important part of ones success and time in the field with known successful gold hunters speeds up your learning curve.

If you have not purchased your gold detector yet, then speaking with real dealers who use and sell a variety of gold detectors from the top brands, is your 1st step.  Dealers prices for most machines are the same as internet, but our knowledge in the field at finding gold is what separates the few good dealers from the masses of offerings just to sell.

When you get time call a few known gold detector dealers to get some input and then call me.  I may not give away the barn, but the knowledge my staff and I have...can not be beat.

You know, that name you have is half the battle right there.  You're already thinking right AU.

• Like 7

Good stuff GB and Gerry.  I really appreciate the detailed responses.  I'm excited.  Tomorrow I'm picking up a very nice, slightly used one ton truck to pull my 5th wheel.  My old one was getting a bit long in the tooth.  This new one has a lot of bells and whistles and most importantly, is 4WD, so I will have an easier time reaching good gold and relic hunting areas. 4 months to go!!

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I would have replied sooner, but was actually in NV over the weekend testing some new MD'ing toys

Gerry, 

Does this mean that the GPX 6000 has landed in the USA?😀

Bill

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 2:46 PM, Arch Stanton said:

Are there any experienced GMT users in southern AZ willing to give a few pointers on using this machine and hunting for nuggets and meteorites?  

Arch,  I'm not in AZ., but this video I did might be of some help to you.

As for some personal hands on training 1 on 1, I'll have a Field Staff member down there this next winter and he trains on both gold nuggets and meteorites.  I was with him in Jan down there and hunted those space rocks for a couple days,  we did quite well.

20210113_104451.jpg

20210113_115613.jpg

20210113_182624.jpg

20210114_075526.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1