Jump to content

Thinking Out Loud Here...


Recommended Posts

Do you think that the GPX6000 should have been classified as a GPX?¬† Steve mentions in his review that it was "like" the SDC he always wanted.¬† So maybe this should have been called the SD6000 (gotta keep the price in the name ūü§£)¬† Or maybe this should be the GS6000 for Geo Sense, a new line of detectors.¬† I do not know the the history of the SD vs GP vs GPX in technology but I think Minelab might have gotten a better response if they named it different and showed it off as a "different new" detector vs an upgrade in the GPX lineup.¬† Unless of course it really does belong in the GPX line up.¬† I have never used a GPX so I am just guessing here, I started detecting when the SDC came out, my first detector.¬† Would love to hear some philosophical technical input here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


To me the new 6000 looks a lot like the GPX line of detectors.  It can be seen in how the coil cable wraps around the shaft, interchangeability of coils, control box below the rear arm cuff and such.  It also has a ground balance button on the handle.  Previous GP and SD models were similar in appearance and function. 

 

I really think the SDC 2300 is the one that was mis-named.  It has an entirely different look, folds up, fast sampling for small gold sensitivity, is waterproof, etc.  It should have been the model with an entirely new name in my opinion.   Like wih the current GPX 6000 designation, I think Minelab are capitalizing on the well known model names of previous models to help people feel confident in them from the start.  Not a bad strategy for marketing, though it can make things confusing as with the case of the SDC and now a bit more so with new models with how newer technologies blur the lines between models even more.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Do you think that the GPX6000 should have been classified as a GPX?¬† Steve mentions in his review that it was "like" the SDC he always wanted.¬† So maybe this should have been called the SD6000 (gotta keep the price in the name ūü§£)¬† Or maybe this should be the GS6000 for Geo Sense, a new line of detectors.¬† I do not know the the history of the SD vs GP vs GPX in technology but I think Minelab might have gotten a better response if they named it different and showed it off as a "different new" detector vs an upgrade in the GPX lineup.¬† Unless of course it really does belong in the GPX line up.¬† I have never used a GPX so I am just guessing here, I started detecting when the SDC came out, my first detector.¬† Would love to hear some philosophical technical input here.

Since its Australian designed, why not the SDC7768? (AU$) Never understood why some think Minelab has been naming these close to whatever the US cost is... 

 

I think you’re right though, maybe a SDC, what does that stand for anyway?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps the SDC was actually the mistake...

My experience detecting is strictly for gold (and trash...) with Minelab SD and GPX machines. After watching Nenad's videos,¬†it looks¬†like the 6¬†performs (and looks!) like a hot rod GPX-5. That sells me, the fact that Minelab slapped together a spicy¬†SDC/GPX love child.¬†...And operation of the machine¬†ūü•ī

Gimme gimme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

I think you’re right though, maybe a SDC, what does that stand for anyway?

 

The SD series was the Super Detector so:

SDC = Super Detector Compact?

I originally thought that the GPX6000 should have a prefix change too as a new series & look but it is still just a technology advance on the GPX5000 + PI technology.

As a GPX it's probably more still in the right bracket of the Minelab range for marketing & standard technology base.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AussieMatt said:

The SD series was the Super Detector so:

SDC = Super Detector Compact?

I originally thought that the GPX6000 should have a prefix change too as a new series & look but it is still just a technology advance on the GPX5000 + PI technology.

As a GPX it's probably more still in the right bracket of the Minelab range for marketing & standard technology base.

Yes SD was super detector and SDC was super detector compact, at least from my basic research. ¬†I always assumed the SDC was an SD in a compact form. ¬†I¬†am not sure what the GP stands for on the old ones or the added X. ¬†I assume the Z in GPZ is for Zero Voltage Transmission. ¬†I don‚Äôt think they were named based on there looks otherwise the GPZ should have been named the CTZ since it looks just like the CTX3030. ¬†The prices though can not be coincidental with the name in US dollars but sure is interesting that the Equinox models,¬†Vanquish models and now thhe GPX6000 are pretty much spot on. ūüėā

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Do you think that the GPX6000 should have been classified as a GPX? 

 It might not look like a 5000 but I believe a lot of 5000 elements (timing/settings combinations) were incorporated into the automation algorithms of the Geosense. I am sure Steve and JP can speak to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SD stood for super detector, GP stood for Ground penetrating, GPX stood for Ground penetrating extreme. If you look back at all of the sd models,gp models and gpx models, the number did in fact resemble the price even if they did not mean for it too. Give or take roughly $500. Even the X-terra series the price was close to the number of the detector model. 305,505 and 705. When you got the gold package the price shot up to roughly $1000, because it had extras. The SDC was a slightly different operating frequency, a very fast one. I knew as soon as it was released they were coming out with a GPX 6000 that the price was going to be around the $6000 mark. I am sure the GPX 6000 is majority a GPX in nature with some features of SDC, GM 1000 added to it  because the technological advancements of simplicity is what they are finding people want. To be able to turn on and go, and not having to worry about are they in the best timing for the area they are detecting. It levels the playing field to a point between those that are experienced and those that aren't. That leaves each person's ability to slow down while detecting and desire to dig every target being the factors that enable someone finding alot of gold and someone that finds some gold but not as much. Steve summed it up in the Novel thread regarding this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...