New 800 Gets Me Two Bucket Listers

Most excellent! Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

That is quite a haul for a hammered place across the road!  I wonder what you will find when you get used to the detector!  haha  (You may want to dig lower numbers because I've found that deep targets come up when you get them close or out of the hole.)

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hats off, nice run.

The Nokta's can get really noisy and probably why you missed many of those, very easy to go tone deaf if the gains too high. I'm still learning on the Kruzer and had it a year and finally got it where I like. Of course mos the time I go back to my old Tejon to give my ears a break 🙂

You may want to check out one of the eliptical coils from Coiltek, they may pan out really well in high trash areas and poking around in the woods.

• Like 2

Wow, that's better than I've done in (my best) 90 hours!  So much for a gradual learning curve.  😁

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

custom tone breaks

Curious where you set these.

Most useful old coin hunting settings for me are the 800's many tone break, pitch, and volume options for 5 tones (oh, and the adjustable recovery speed).

Can't wait to see your early silver coin find.

• Like 2

That was quite an amazing hunt. I hate to say it, but I am not surprised. The Equinox 600 and 800 can really detect some deep targets and they don’t just detect them. Lots of VLFs can do that. The Equinox 600 and 800 can actually give the user enough information to accurately identify the conductivity of those deep targets and they can definitely give enough information to encourage digging them. I have owned and used all of the current major intermediate level VLF detectors except for the Anfibio and have tested them in the field against the Equinox on wild targets and in my test bed. Sure, any decent detector coupled with an experienced detector operator can find targets that others have missed. But when I go behind myself with an Equinox on ground I have detected with other detectors...............I really can’t believe it sometimes and I rarely have my Equinox on full power.

• Like 4

Fantastic hunting and a great write up. Loved seeing all the pictures.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 2

Outstanding hunt! The Equinox is a beast of a machine, I don't think you'll regret getting one. When you find those large coins it really wakes you up! Remarkable mix of modern and colonial.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

That is quite a haul for a hammered place across the road!  I wonder what you will find when you get used to the detector!  haha  (You may want to dig lower numbers because I've found that deep targets come up when you get them close or out of the hole.)

Mitchel

This is very true. They're "gettinbetters" 😀I'll dig a 14 and end up with a 22, no other metal in the hole. Is this just a quirk of the Equinox? I have also noticed that when you get a bunch of tones (default tone breaks in Field 2) over a target if you hear any ascending tone in the mix you should definitely dig it.

• Like 3

Little update, I got to looking at 2 of the large cents, because they looked a little small. Well after a little cleaning, One turned out to be a Connecticut copper and the other is a draped bust. Sadly they are in really bad shape.

• Like 4