New 800 Gets Me Two Bucket Listers

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'll dig a 14 and end up with a 22, no other metal in the hole. Is this just a quirk of the Equinox?

I've not experienced this.  How deep are these targets or does it happen independent of depth?  I wonder if your soil characteristics are contributing to this.

What I've experienced is that the same target type (e.g. silver dime, Indian Head Penny) will give a tighter distribution of digital TID's when shallow to moderate (say 3-5 inches) but deeper, the dTID spread broadens.  For very shallow targets I may get a single dTID but that usually isn't the case for me as depth gets more than a couple inches.  (I hunt with recovery speed = 4 which may have something to do with this, though.)

I've never studied how target orientation affects dTID's but I do think it has an effect, and possibly a big one.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've not experienced this.  How deep are these targets or does it happen independent of depth?  I wonder if your soil characteristics are contributing to this.

What I've experienced is that the same target type (e.g. silver dime, Indian Head Penny) will give a tighter distribution of digital TID's when shallow to moderate (say 3-5 inches) but deeper, the dTID spread broadens.  For very shallow targets I may get a single dTID but that usually isn't the case for me as depth gets more than a couple inches.  (I hunt with recovery speed = 4 which may have something to do with this, though.)

I've never studied how target orientation affects dTID's but I do think it has an effect, and possibly a big one.

I'm pretty sure I find them either deep or on edge. Indian heads are the noisiest coins I dig, with Zincolns a close second.

• Like 2

Love it dog!!

That's the way to bang'um out!! Fate got the right machine in your hands!

On that button bonanza, I was thinking a discarded piece of clothing, or spill, contributed to the tight proximity! After all the cleanup, give us a few more close-ups of your treasures!

Great job!!💰👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm pretty sure I find them either deep or on edge. Indian heads are the noisiest coins I dig, with Zincolns a close second.

Zincolns' dTID broadening and variation (from one specimen to another) is understandable due to the galvanic corrosion changing the shape (through loss) and possibly the same cause affecting other conductive properties.  I don't know if that is the case with IHP's, though.  There has been speculation of variation in composition but AFAIK that hasn't been verified.  Best way I know of to do the following is to air test coins that have never been in the ground.

• Like 3

I was thinking thats a lot of big targets for a place that you have hunted to death...then I seen that there was multiple buttons in the hole...yes the Nox will punch deep...your gonna love it. 

strick 

• Like 2

Yup I think its a keeper!!! GB, your correct. The zincoln's do do break on some weird spots depending on corrosion and ground conditions. The IH's with the 1864 year and bronze make up produce a different tone, VDI wise they are only a couple of points off. Over all my equinox and yours will most definitely react in much different ways, depending on soil and coin or target corrosion. Testing and digging to your liking will always produce results that are much different from our fellow detectors. Basic set up's are a help but they do not guarantee the best performance for all of of our area's. Heck, I usually have to change programs in almost every place I hunt. Granted, I still have hundreds of hours to go figuring this machine out, But judging how the Minelab people designed the equinox I'm pretty sure that drifting far from factory settings is just a big mistake. Other than tone breaks, Tone sounds, recovery speed ( I use 4) and sensitivity (I use 17) From the limited hours I have on this machine, I don't see the need to go crazy. Most people spend more time over complicating programs than finding better places to hunt. All that being said, I really think that the equinox is a game changer (I didn't believe that prior to owning one) In a way that I can not explain. It does things that are much much different than other machines. BUT that will not help if you don't take the time to listen to what it's telling you.

• Like 5