GPX 6000 - Tips, Tricks, Technical Questions

2 minutes ago, Calmark said:

Kingswood, since I see you have other Minelab detectors, perhaps you'd do a little experiment for all of us using the new 6000 to scour your new patch and then hit it AFTER with other detectors.  Most reports are of the exact opposite.  People rush back to old patches with the newest technology like the 6000 and find what's missed.  I'd be very interested to see what your 6000 missed if anything when you go back with the "old" technology.  

100% will 🙂 I plan on chaining it with the 6000, then chaining back over it with the GPZ19" 🙂 That will be next weekend 🙂

• Like 6

That sounds like a great plan.  I look forward to a report.  Best of luck and keep on those nuggets! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kingswood said:

Just to add, that the manual mentions increasing sensitivity until false signals occur when using the mono. From reading the manual, I still get the feeling that reducing the sensitivity with the mono to reduce the EMI would still punch deeper than the DD. I think..

That would be interesting to know. How much can the sensitivity on the 11 mono be lowered to still have an edge over the 14 DD under EMI conditions?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

That would be interesting to know. How much can the sensitivity on the 11 mono be lowered to still have an edge over the 14 DD under EMI conditions?

Well it pinged a 0.61g at about 10 inches with sensitivity on 6, and it was a pull you up kinda signal.

Dunno the answer...will experiment later 🙂

Is it a gain sensitivity setting??? If its like the zed, it is still sensitive on lower settings, just stops extra noise.

Steve might know....

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kingswood said:

If its like the zed, it is still sensitive on lower settings, just stops extra noise.

Agreed. In HY/Normal the gain of the Z can be lowered substantially with not much impact on target signal strength (I sometimes go as low as 4...), although I then boost with Volume a bit. The 6000 also has Volume control, but it would be really good to know if this is just threshold volume or target strength Volume like on the Z. If the latter, then lower gain on the 6000 could equally be compensated by increasing the Volume a bit. But I doubt this is the case. It just might be the threshold Volume. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 9:43 PM, kingswood said:

Well it pinged a 0.61g at about 10 inches with sensitivity on 6, and it was a pull you up kinda signal.

Dunno the answer...will experiment later 🙂

Is it a gain sensitivity setting??? If its like the zed, it is still sensitive on lower settings, just stops extra noise.

Steve might know....

I think this post from JP should answer it:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/15854-gpx-6000-vs-gpz-7000-recommendation-for-us-prospectors/?do=findComment&comment=163003

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Threshold - used it.  Didn't test no Threshold.  Believe it or not I actually enjoy listening to a Threshold.   And I can't trust no Threshold

Thanks, Northeast. Great review! When you compare Normal vs. Difficult do you think you loose a lot of sensitivity in Difficult? You said you still heard the small stuff well, even with the 14DD/difficult? I don't mind hearing targets a bit softer as long as the threshold is stable. 

PS: Finally someone who likes listening to the threshold like me 🙂  Don't like it gone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

A few short breaks for water, apples, bananas, chick peas and sardines - tasty detectorist menu 🤣

Sardines (especially the ones in tomato sauce) on hot toast with a sprinkling of pepper make for a fantastic filling and nutritious breakfast (no I’m not being sarcastic, I grew up on the stuff and love them, plus they have the benefits of eating fish) Also spread on crackers while out and about make for a good belly filler. Just don’t let the missus near you afterwards or she might gag.

Back on topic, that’s a great little write up @Northeast and full of great information once again.

• Like 3