GPX 6000 - Tips, Tricks, Technical Questions

3 hours ago, geof_junk said:

What depth do you think you would of got those nuggets with a gpx5000, gp3000 or a QED and what is the percentage gain do you think you got with the new GPX6000.

Evening geof.   Unfortunately I think I am going to give a non-descript answer but I will try as best I can.  

I've never used another GPX/GP before so I am just unqualified to answer those questions, I'm sorry.  I know I've found gold with the GPX6 near Stanley that a GPZ and an SDC on a Gain of 5 had missed (and more lead shot  😖). And that was a spot we had pounded!

The GPX6, to me, is an obvious improvement to the QED in the spot that I worked last Friday.  Only a small area and one that I had really covered well with the QED and a Detech 11" spiral wound coil.  Not only 17 more bits of gold but numerous lead shot and iron junk.  I think this could be put down to the GPX6 simply being hotter on targets in general but specifically being more able to 'see' that porous type of gold.   

Depth advantage?  All of those targets were shallow so hard to give depth comparisons.  Again, probably due to seeing the type of gold better?  Although, now that I think of it, the GPX6 was finding different sizes of lead shot everywhere and at good depth (6-8 inches) and that is a more standard type of target.  

What I do know is that I have confidence in my detector again.  Very much like what I had when I had the GPZ.   I felt like that thing could find any bit of gold within cooee of the coil and I feel like that again.  Confidence in your machinery - so important  😉

Not sure if that helps at all...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhaseTech said:

Okay here's a little tip. Twice now I have found "lead shot" only to realise it was a perfectly spherical ball of ironstone, with you guessed it, gold inside. Only when rubbed/scratched hard and not revealing that dull lustre of lead did I realise there may be gold inside. If you're not sure, put it on a flat bit of quartz and tap it with your pick.  

I check all those targets regardless, I’m yet to have any turn golden but the possibility is always there. Either a quick scrape on the pick or a thud with the pick sorts them out.

• Like 2

Always check what you think as junk, because it may not be the the case. I have mentioned in another post that a bit of rust looking target turned out to be a 2 oz nugget.

Thanks Northeast for your reply. Let hope other prospectors post their experiences to save the rest of us in deciding what to do.

• Like 3

PS....  This nuggie started a detector gold rush at that location.  I returned to that spot 2 weeks later and the location looked like a war zone.  I'd told 2 people the location of the find and that's all it took.  Learned another lesson after that which is why I tend to hunt alone now and try to keep quiet in the future......

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 2

17 hours ago, oneguy said:

PS....  This nuggie started a detector gold rush at that location.  I returned to that spot 2 weeks later and the location looked like a war zone.  I'd told 2 people the location of the find and that's all it took.  Learned another lesson after that which is why I tend to hunt alone now and try to keep quiet in the future......

I learnt early on that lying is good in the gold game 🙂

"getting any?"

"nah, nothing...just a couple of small ones"

"Where did you get them?"

"Well you know when your heading out north about 6 km's and theres a track up on your left that goes to an old windmill with a broken fence near it?"

"Yeah i know that spot"

"Well its nowhere near there".....

Some of my spots, I literally have about 6 different ways in and out so people cant pick my tracks.... 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingswood said:

I learnt early on that lying is good in the gold game 🙂

"getting any?"

"nah, nothing...just a couple of small ones"

"Where did you get them?"

"Well you know when your heading out north about 6 km's and theres a track up on your left that goes to an old windmill with a broken fence near it?"

"Yeah i know that spot"

"Well its nowhere near there".....

Some of my spots, I literally have about 6 different ways in and out so people cant pick my tracks.... 🙂

It really good to just show what you got when you are leaving, but make sure no one went past your locations when you were there. Then you say you were 🦨 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 5:49 AM, Northeast said:

Porous/wiry stuff - I think Gerry is going to be happy.  The GPX 6000 does indeed seem to hit on stuff that others may struggle on.   Many of the pieces in the first pic are either stupid small or are quite porous.  Many of them aren't solid pieces - they are quite light for their size.  The 3rd pic - the piece at the left end of the tweezers has some real wiry stuff in there and I think 'stuff all' gold would be a good description of gold content.  

Wrap-up - I'm loving the 6000 the more I use it    😀 

Northeast,  You are getting me excited my friend with those comments and finds.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge as you/we all learn.  

I'll have one in my hands when the time is right, but customers come 1st.

Thanks again.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2021 at 10:51 PM, Gold Catcher said:

Thanks, Northeast. Great review! When you compare Normal vs. Difficult do you think you loose a lot of sensitivity in Difficult? You said you still heard the small stuff well, even with the 14DD/difficult? I don't mind hearing targets a bit softer as long as the threshold is stable. 

PS: Finally someone who likes listening to the threshold like me 🙂  Don't like it gone.

Ran the 6000 over the test patch in Inglewood , vs 7000 .5000.4500.

the 6000 smashed every target in normal but struggled on the 2 big ones in difficult compared to it , but would have still pulled me up . could not detect anywhere really well in normal though .   so i suppose dug ground and planted targets are a bit like aussie govt covid vaccine information   😝🤪🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 2