GPX 6000 - Tips, Tricks, Technical Questions

Auto+ certainly isn't for the faint hearted in areas of moderate to high ground mineralisation or EMI prone.

It is still my favourite setting in most areas though if I can keep it fairly smooth on the run. If it's too much I drop back to Auto or Manual 5/6 seems to run very nicely for my area. Even at the low "sensitivity" manual setting it hits hard on metal targets. I found some bits of subgram gold yesterday in manual that a stiff breeze would blow off your hand. I later tested them in the lowest manual sensitivity & was still getting a strong signal in that setting 2-3" above them.

JP did mention that the sensitivity is the same regardless whether your at 1 or 10 with other magic happening in the adjustment so to me manual "sensitivity" is more of a smoothing type audio control?

Below one of the test specs:

20210520_191200.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

JP did mention that the sensitivity is the same regardless whether your at 1 or 10 with other magic happening in the adjustment so to me manual "sensitivity" is more of a smoothing type audio control?

That's an interesting observation. Is this really so? This would suggest that dialing down on sensitivity but keeping the 11 mono would be a better choice than switching to the 14DD when needed, to not loose too much depth. Unless of course it's so bad that even at sensitivity 1 the 11 mono would not be stable.

• Like 1

Probably similar to an SDC and its sensitivity controls.  And in an essence the SDC has a threshold on or off situation too because even though there are like 10 settings everyone either uses 3 or 1.

6 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

That's an interesting observation. Is this really so? This would suggest that dialing down on sensitivity but keeping the 11 mono would be a better choice than switching to the 14DD when needed, to not loose too much depth. Unless of course it's so bad that even at sensitivity 1 the 11 mono would not be stable.

I think thats what the manual implies. They say "Generally, a Double‐D coil should only be used if noise cannot be managed by using a Mono coil with the Noise Cancel Procedure" and it (DD) should be used in areas of known high EMI or conductive ground"

They way I read it, is that the mono should always be the first choice. Try auto, if quiet, try auto+, which they add has extra depth in low noise conditions.

The manual goes on to say that manual sensitivity can be reduced either to control EMI or ground noise.

So yes, I would drop sensitivity in mono first before putting on the DD if I can 🙂

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kingswood said:

I think thats what the manual implies. They say "Generally, a Double‐D coil should only be used if noise cannot be managed by using a Mono coil with the Noise Cancel Procedure" and it (DD) should be used in areas of known high EMI or conductive ground"

They way I read it, is that the mono should always be the first choice. Try auto, if quiet, try auto+, which they add has extra depth in low noise conditions.

The manual goes on to say that manual sensitivity can be reduced either to control EMI or ground noise.

So yes, I would drop sensitivity in mono first before putting on the DD if I can 🙂

Thanks, yes this has been my understanding as well. It's just that I probably would have changed to the 14DD way before having to go all the way down to gain 1 with the 11 mono 

21 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Thanks, yes this has been my understanding as well. It's just that I probably would have changed to the 14DD way before having to go all the way down to gain 1 with the 11 mono 

Yeah I agree....I dont think i would get as low as 1 either....

Its been my experience so far, even with pretty bad EMI, that just dropping it a bit has helped with the mono.

That been said, the auto settings are great! Sometimes a tad noisy, but regular noise cancels do work.

• Thanks 1

I have gone down to the 10 o'clock mark just on the first small segment of the menu but only after identifying a target and before digging.  This does quieten the machine a bit and targets still hit hard the same as when I was running in the 2 o'clock position.  

Cheers

Jack

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, kingswood said:

Well the 6000 in auto bangs hard on ironstone speccies 🙂

Wow, niiiiiiice piece!!  Congrats  😀

• Thanks 1