GPX 6000 - Tips, Tricks, Technical Questions

33 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Questions about 7K vs 6K comparison. 

I have both and have a simple question for those who ask the above question. Why would we take the time off of enjoying our hobby to do so? Give me a better incentive then weight in the pocket???? 

The only incentive you would get is knowledge and information that you did not have before performing any tests.  All it would do is satisfy a curiosity you may or may not have.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

The only incentive you would get is knowledge and information that you did not have before performing any tests.  All it would do is satisfy a curiosity you may or may not have.

Good answer AFN, go back to my first 6K impression thread, my curiosity was well and truly quenched after running the 6K over where the 7K with its 2 coils and many X coils had been. Last few years I swung to X coils because they lifted the 7K to another level, mind you suffered a lot of grief being open about the level lift, now because I`m an early adoptee I have MLs new 6K and it like all new ML detectors, X coils etc etc have lifted my detecting another level. TDetectors are tools it pays me to have the best tools, I always have.

• Like 7

What we heard thus far from Steve, Norvic, JP and others is more than enough to convince me that the 6000 is an exceptional detector. No Youtube needed for me.  I trust Steve's judgment that for the US the 6000 is all you need. After all, he was part of the development team and I haven't even used one, so who am I to say anything. Come Friday next week and I will see for myself. And who knows I might put my 7000 up for sale the week after. Or maybe not. I am a hoarder and have a hard time getting rid of something that I truly cherish. But the word is that the 7000 might still be of some use in Australia. And since I continue to threaten Norvic that I will pay him a visit, I might as well keep it for a while longer 🤠😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

'm still in awe of how good my GPZ is, it shocks me the depth I'm getting little tiddlers. 

I was in awe too about the Z then the X coils on them now the 6K, ML have without exception done it again. I never need an excuse to buy the latest ML, every big kid should just do so.🤪 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Youtube is just another information source just like DP, except with Youtube you get to watch for yourself to make your own determination, especially when you can see how people are performing the tests vs how you might do it differently.

First person singular pronouns might be a little less offensive in the above quote which definitely does not speak for me and what I believe.

I watch detecting testing videos on YouTube for two reasons=information about the features on those detectors and possibly to get an explanation for what a feature actually does. Otherwise, I rarely believe that the information during head to head performance comparison videos is applicable to me or is really valid no matter how much I might trust the detector user. I spend a lot of time watching Aussie gold prospecting videos just for their entertainment value. 

I am also an avid marksman and I spend lots of time watching firearm related videos for the same reasons as detector feature videos.

The one big factor that none of these videos can answer is how these detectors or weapons feel in my hand after an hour, two hours..........a week of using them for 4 to 8 hours a day or after 50 to 100 rounds fired. Is my shoulder killing me, my wrist, are my hands and shoulders bruised from recoil.......?

I just read all of this thread again after coming home from a three hour impromptu wild coin and jewelry target hunt with some of my fellow club members. 5,000 feet elevation in 95 degree heat. I was using the Equinox. I came home with 183 targets.......thats more targets than minutes spent hunting. I can do a similar amount of targets (if there are that many) using the Equinox in a 6 to 8 hour gold prospecting hunt with the Equinox or Gold Monster 1000. There is no way I can dig that many targets in a day with the SDC 2300, GPX 5000 or the GPZ 7000 where I hunt which is mountains, ravines, rarely any flat areas that are more than 30 x 30 yards. I often swing a detector sideways, and up and down over boulder strewn areas. I physically can't swing those detectors for more than 2 hours untethered in that terrain. Tethered, I will lose at least an hour or more of time just getting untethered and tethered back up. The amount of detector fatigue is not fun.

I have enjoyed swinging the 4lbs QED in those areas even though I know that it is missing plenty of targets. I can easily swing a GPX 5000 with a Sadie coil in those areas too but ground coverage/depth really suffers.

If I have a patch that I know I am going to grid or chain..........the weight is no big deal. If I am searching for new patches (which is what I do most of the time) weight and manuverability is a huge deal.

My local dealer will be getting his shipment of GPX 6000s around July 4th. Before I buy one I am going to spend some time getting a feel for this detector's weight, ergonomics, etc. I have gone on the opinions of others concerning the GPZ 7000 and the SDC 2300 as far as swinging them. They did not work for me and my detecting terrain.

I really don't care if the GPZ 7000, GPX 6000, GPX 5000, SDC 2300 is the best at whatever. All of those detectors will hit the gold I am normally after fairly easily. So for me it is simple, if I don't enjoy swinging them, I won't use them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I really don't care if the GPZ 7000, GPX 6000, GPX 5000, SDC 2300 is the best at whatever. If I don't enjoy swinging them, I won't use them.

I am a betting man Jeff, I`m tipping you are going to love the 6K, not because it replaces the EQ, it wont, but because it is the most easiest PI to swing in your and my billy goat rugged environment, Steve is as usual on the money with his 6K review except I extend his conclusion to include most of OZ.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

using the Equinox in a 6 to 8 hour gold prospecting hunt with the Equinox or Gold Monster 1000. There is no way I can dig that many targets in a day with the SDC 2300, GPX 5000 or the GPZ 7000 where I hunt which is mountains, ravines, rarely any flat areas that are more than 30 x 30 yards. I often swing a detector sideways, and up and down over boulder strewn areas. I physically can't swing those detectors for more than 2 hours untethered in that terrain.  The amount of detector fatigue is not fun.

I really don't care if the GPZ 7000, GPX 6000, GPX 5000, SDC 2300 is the best at whatever. If I don't enjoy swinging them, I won't use them.

we have the same kind of terrain and think alike!  Between the trash, brush, and terrain I seem to almost always end up using my beloved Monster before it's all said and done.  Not out there to beat myself up more than I already do, takes the fun right out of it.  A guy definitely needs VLF and PI so hopefully the simpler, lighter, and hopefully deeper 6 will send the SDC into retirement (nobody seems interested in the one I have for sale).....  Looking forward to the 6...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

You have to stop being offended when people ask questions or want specific data driven performance answers.  Its not intended to offend you or what you have given as reviews or answers.  

I dont think he is offended in any way...he is just giving advice......as far as you tube videos go when I seen the 6000 banging at small gold deeper then the 7000 it was an eye opener...did you miss those videos? I want to say more but will hold off for now 😄

strick

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

I am a betting man Jeff, I`m tipping you are going to love the 6K, not because it replaces the EQ, it wont, but because it is the most easiest PI to swing in your and my billy goat rugged environment, Steve is as usual on the money with his 6K review except I extend his conclusion to include most of OZ.

+ 1 on that 

My local areas here can go from mountainous, rugged terrain to steep gullies to wide open flat areas. There's a huge variety of ground conditions & topography.

The 6k seamlessly handles it all with the ergonomics making it easy to use in different terrain to boot.

I don't disagree with the GPZ7000 still being the top dog but personally for me, here in NSW Australia, the GPX6000 is making it seem unnecessary & cumbersome for a lot of my detecting areas. Just my opinion.  

• Like 6