GPX 6000 - Tips, Tricks, Technical Questions

Hey NE I spoke to a bloke who has 6 and runs in my area. Apparently his 6 is noisy as all hell in the default auto1 no threshold. He has to put it in threshold on mode to tame the machine. I thought it would have been the other way round so did not try it in the field. Anyway will wait till I am back on some mineralised ground to test it out.

30 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

Apparently his 6 is noisy as all hell in the default auto1 no threshold

Yeah, that is strange.  

Is it noisy with the coil sitting still or only when moving?  What about moving along but not touching anything?   I’m probably not asking anything you haven’t worked out already but just wondering if it is EMI, ground noise or knock sensitivity when scrubbing a coil over the ground.  

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

The Equinox made the GPX6 noisy when closer than about 7 metres. 

The GPZ made the GPX6 noisy when closer than about 15 metres.  

The GPZ real close made it sound like the NYPD had just arrived.  

So not too different to most detectors I would think.  

Were these noises heard after auto tuning both of the machines?  Could you pick out a manual channel where it was silent on the Nox or GPZ?

I have a friend who insists the Nox will make any non-Minelab detector noisy.  He won't detect with me on the beach or in the desert if I am using a Nox.  He likes to use his GB Pro.

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I have a friend who insists the Nox will make any non-Minelab detector noisy.  He won't detect with me on the beach or in the desert if I am using a Nox.  He likes to use his GB Pro.

I think maybe he hates getting his ars whipped by the NOX?

• Haha 8

After doing a quick noise cancel I was able to run the Nox next to the Gold Bug 2 without any apparent interference. Did this a lot when trying to see if the Gold Bug 2 could pickup any crumbs the Nox missed. The Nox was quite impressive.

• Like 1

I use my mini Gold Monster quite a bit around my GPZ, sometimes at the start of the day if I have already turned on my GPZ and done it's noise cancel procedure and later fire up my GM to narrow down the location of a difficult target the noise that comes out of the GM from interference from the GPZ is very unnatural, the first time it happened I thought my GM had failed as the noise it was making is so weird.  The GM does a noise cancel on power on but it doesn't appear very effective.  The GPZ can noise cancel out the weird UFO sounding GM though and once done it lasts the rest of the day with the GM's constant power cycling and noise cancel process so it never shifts back into a noise cancel setting that affects the GPZ. 

The Equinox seems to play a bit better with the GPZ as I just use it in 40kHz which seems pretty good around the GPZ and still great on small gold, multi-IQ not so good as you would expect. 

I would think it'd be the same with the GPX 6000, run the Nox on 40kHz or 20kHz if you had to so it's frequency range isn't so large for best results.  I wonder if instead of checking 200+ noise channels the GPX 6000 is going 10, 20, 30, 40 skipping larger segments than doing each individual number like the previous GPX and GPZ do before settling on the quietest number thereby speeding up the process. It's noise cancel seems more on par with the Gold Monster and Vanquish with their quick power on noise cancel process.  Very handy having such a quick noise cancel though.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Were these noises heard after auto tuning both of the machines?

Morning Mitchel.  

I didn't bother to be honest.  When he would walk over with either machine and the GPX6 would start to make noises I would just turn it off.  So quick to turn on and off it wasn't worth the while of noise cancelling. 

And there is no manual selectable noise cancel channel - only auto  👍

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:55 AM, Northeast said:

Yeah, that is strange.  

Is it noisy with the coil sitting still or only when moving?  What about moving along but not touching anything?   I’m probably not asking anything you haven’t worked out already but just wondering if it is EMI, ground noise or knock sensitivity when scrubbing a coil over the ground.  

The machine did settle somewhat at idle but any movement sent it bonkers. I was careful not to scrub the coil as per Jp recommendations on the forum. Power lines are around 200m from the diggings and my sdc has never been affected by emi at this location. The sdc has suffered from ground noise depending on how wet the ground is. I would be interested to see if anyone else has found the 11 mono unusable in the default threshold off. Also why turning the threshold on is reported to tame the machine. 

54 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

The machine did settle somewhat at idle but any movement sent it bonkers. I was careful not to scrub the coil as per Jp recommendations on the forum. Power lines are around 200m from the diggings and my sdc has never been affected by emi at this location. The sdc has suffered from ground noise depending on how wet the ground is. I would be interested to see if anyone else has found the 11 mono unusable in the default threshold off. Also why turning the threshold on is reported to tame the machine. 

could be emi....try the coil somewhere with less emi.

I have noticed that my machine can struggle at times in moderate to high areas of mineralisation.  I have been working in Auto+ (no threshold) and in difficult and doing a noise cancel / ground balance regularly generally settles it down.  However emi does slowly creep back in slowly until I repeat a quick noise cancel and GB on the fly.

I also detect in manual @ 12 o'clock position with threshold and in difficult and have gone down slowly below that in sensitivity (if it really is a sensitivity control) with success, as I find the little gold targets just punch through so hard.  I find I can manage these settings with my coil not being bump sensitive, or going off on tree roots or black charcoal from our recent fires.  I believe the noise that slowly returns is due to the ground that I am in which is very patchy and changes very quickly in thick vegetation.

I would like to add that I dont use the speaker but wired headphones through an SPO1, taking on board the informative post by JP recently as being a cause of EMI. It doesnt bother me being tethered to the machine, fact is I am so use to it I dont even notice it.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1