X Coil Questions

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I am more than happy to have a discussion on the subject of X coils because it is relative to what we do, so long as people understand there is also risk involved. Think of X coils like a remap of your diesel turbo charged engine, there is an inherent risk in modifying your car away from the manufacturers specs and if the engine blows then the responsibility falls on you the owner. There are millions of vehicles out there that are performing reliably every day with an engine remap, I am one of those people who has done it and appreciate the improvement in my vehicles drivability. X coils are basically a remap of your GPZ, but it requires a bit of risk and you need to find a guy who can do the mod for you so you can safely participate. 

JP

That little snippet brought the whole X-Coils thing into perspective for me atleast and now you have me thinking 🤔

Hi Steve,

Love my 22" X-coil for the GPZ 7000. Made my own adapter, was easy to make, hardest part on it is probably burning off the red coating on the wires to get the solder to stick 😉.. But so far love it...

P.S. the adapter Minelab has on their coils looks like a double high speed switching diode, part # PMBD7000, in a SOT-23 package. The diode has an SMD code on it W5CAG.  More than likely a crypto chip, as they make the Crypto chips in a SOT-23 format also.

Dave

DaveXcoil.jpg

• Like 7

I have 15 and a 20in spiral wound DOD coils.

I ran them last year and im happy with their performance.

I did not have any problem with following the instructions to make the addaptor.

Edit add detail>

I have not ran the stock coils since.

Below is an example of Aussie lingo and how it can be missunderstood by foreighners

Screenshot_20210426-104646_Messenger.thumb.jpg.6e7dd866b858d1a7f8d756b14a3705af.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Below is an example of Aussie lingo

Teddy Long Legs - such a way with words  😆

I'm very surprised you let that stay up Steve.  I'm even more surprised you liked it  🤣

31 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Teddy Long Legs - such a way with words  😆

I'm very surprised you let that stay up Steve.  I'm even more surprised you liked it  🤣

That is exactly the way a good friend is acquainted here though. Much of our banter here would get a gun drawn on you in other parts of the world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The previous post by jrbeatty and the link he provided are the kind of posts and reports that I come to this forum for. I joined this forum after the linked post was started and honestly had never seen it before.

JR told his story without any bravado, bullshit, or opinionated ranting. It was factual and incredible at the same time. I don't know if there are still places in the US where gold like that can still be found, especially with an entry level, lightweight PI like the latest iteration of the QED........... amazing. I am happy finding sub gram gold nuggets at most of the places I hunt. Anything larger is a real blessing.

I enjoyed the great photos of Reg and the benign looking landscape where much of the gold in the photos was found. 

I also appreciated his calm and informative section on X Coils. I did not realize that they were available for ZVT and more traditional PI detectors. I will have to pay more attention to this brand of coils in the future especially in relation to PI detectors. 

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to X Coil Questions