X Coil Questions

Hopefully with a little prodding from JP, Minelab will take another look at concentric coil options for their next GPZ incarnation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you JP for that very balanced report. 

Whatever Ilya and his team have done is certainly working. These coils have basically given the GPZ the super sensitivity of an SDC ( or dare I say it the GPX 6000 ) but with the raw power of ZVT !

Some of the little bits I have been getting at prodigious depths rechaining my old patches have left me scratching my head  !

Rick

• Like 9

Well, I got tired of waiting for ML to offer a smaller GPZ coil and ordered an X-coil. I've never done any electronics soldering before and followed Simon's and Rick's detailed instructions, along with Chet's new procedures to make a patch lead using my 19" GPZ coil. I ordered the required plugs and accessories for the project. Took my time, checked with my ohm meter as detailed in the instructions, secured with double-walled heat shrink and everything worked perfectly on my 15" x 10" coil and the GPZ 19" coil worked great....nothing trashed or disabled. 

Bill

P.S. Latest on FB X-Coils page. WOW!

Even JP stated "Pretty impressive"! Rick Bryant using an X-coil 17" concentric. Some are saying the new concentrics will work as well as the new GPX 6000.

"Rechaining an old patch. Another 2.5 grams today in 8 pieces with the 17 CC, including another crumb that won't move the scales that read to 0.01 grams 😉 Clear signal at 1 inch in HY Normal and still there in Difficult. Gobsmacked at how good this coil is 😃"

image.thumb.png.a787b10ab161bbe3cbf08e6beb9ab573.png

• Like 6

What an interesting turn this discussion has taken. Some people might have been right all along then, when all this started. Me, I am just disappointed that no authorized and ML-endorsed procedure exists to have the plug made, by an authorized ML repair shop, including warranty. Sure, do it yourself obviously works for many and this is great for them. However, I am one of these guys who does not take any chance with a 10k investment but rather trust the engineers who built it the way it is. I am on the NF12 waiting list (will it ever come to the US?.....) and will get my 6000 any day now. I hope I won't have a huge disadvantage then, only because I am relying on products that are made by professionals without the need for helping out myself.

• Like 4

GC Aye I don`t think you`ll have a major disadvantage waiting for the 6000, but I suspect from your questioning you may be heading in the direction of early adopters and will evolve into helping your self out in the future, tis the spice of life.  

• Like 3

You are right, Norvic. For some reason I just can't jump over my shadow just yet. But this could all change when I come into your neck of the woods 😁

• Haha 1

I've just been informed that the 26" GPZ Concentric I ordered will now be a 30" The designers believe this will be the ultimate manifestation of the ZVT CC and it should have some serious depth. 

I replied that I will now have to grow a right arm like a lobster. Oh well! what the heck! 

Exciting times! Could be like the old "Bismarck" days all over again?

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 2

• The title was changed to X Coil Questions

I have been using a 15 inch x coil for over a year in WA. I went back to all my old patches and was thrilled with the results. Not only could I hear new targets but they were often clear loud signals on area’s I gridded. I became aware of issues from a couple of prospectors in the Pilbara that blew their boards but so far so good for me. I would sometimes have issues were the machine would start generating false signals especially under trees and I would have to turn off the machine for a while. This sometimes helped and sometimes didn’t. Eventually I discovered that if I ran her on semi ground balance I no longer had any issues. I also use electrical tape on the patch lead connector to stop it from coming loose. This is my first post though I’ve been following for years, cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

James re (. I became aware of issues from a couple of prospectors in the Pilbara that blew their boards but so far so good for me.)

Question did they do their own patch leads? or get an experienced person to do the plug/socket/patch lead?

7 hours ago, PeterInSa said:

James re (. I became aware of issues from a couple of prospectors in the Pilbara that blew their boards but so far so good for me.)

Question did they do their own patch leads? or get an experienced person to do the plug/socket/patch lead?

This thread tells about some of the early adopters and covers the 'period' when the prospectors you referenced  'blew their boards' so to speak.  They did try to make their own patch leads in the field and it is my understanding there was an error/short in a lead made by a tech in WA.  It is a bit of a blur to me now but I was following it at the time.

As a result of their problems and some of the other discussion about fine wires and temperatures I sought out a tech when I got my 15x10 X-coil.  I've used it without patch lead problems.  It didn't exactly make my old patches new again (probably more my fault) but I've found gold with it and I've not put the original or the 19" back on the Zed.

I've stated in other threads I backed over my Zed shaft with a 4Runner tire and broke the lower shaft but it didn't break the X-coil or affect the adapter.  My 19" then became a lower shaft donor as well as the chip donor.

Mitchel

• Like 1