Epic Hot Spot Hunt Satisfies My Minie Ball Ocd

2 hours ago, kac said:

Need a little red wagon to start lugging lead like that.... More mini balls than I find sinkers!

Did you figure out where they were shooting from?

We tried to figure that out.  No luck.  We suspect the firing line drops had been previously cleaned out by others, unfortunately.

Figures.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By phrunt
      Well, today I was having a bit of a go with my CTX 3030 and come across a target that seemed odd, it was a big target I knew that with the abundance of Target information the CTX gives and the Target Trace pinpoint is cool.
      I dug it out of interest more than anything, I'd never normally dig something like this but it was rather deep and weird, and I think I found Batman's Binoculars?
      Does anyone have any idea what this is, it's heavy, solid metal...

• By Steve Herschbach
      It should be getting obvious the GPX 6000 is a great nugget detector. I think it also has great possibilities for beach detecting for jewelry.
      If somebody was to ask me about relic detecting, I’d tell them the same thing I say about the GPZ 7000 - way too sensitive to tiny ferrous. There is such a thing as too sensitive, and the fact that the GPX 5000 can be set up to miss the tiniest ferrous is actually an advantage. The 6000 will bang hard on the tiniest slivers of ferrous stuff, like almost invisible bits of hair thin wire.
      However, it might be something those who already have the machine might want to play with, and I have already been learning a few discrimination tricks while beach detecting. Anyone familiar with the Minelab PI detectors knows you get two main tone responses, either a high tone, or a low tone. The simple way to think of what these tones mean is high tone = small or weaker / low conductive targets, and low tone = large or stronger / high conductive targets. The dividing line between the two is not fixed, but varies with the ground balance setting. This means people in lower mineral ground will not get the same results as those in high mineral ground. It’s a complex subject, one I go into great detail at here.
      The GPX 6000 has one bit of magic for this task. The Normal/Difficult ground setting button. It allows a change in the tone response by simply pressing a button. I do not know the details of Normal vs Difficult, but it changes the timings enough to flip the tone response on many targets. I found I could use it to get four different target classes.
      Hi tone normal, high tone difficult = Aluminum foil, misc aluminum, wire, most bottle caps, misc small ferrous - low VDI targets. Small gold. Hi tone normal, low tone difficult = Nickel range targets, larger aluminum. Larger gold. Low tone normal, low tone difficult = Zinc penny range targets. Even larger gold. Low tone normal, high tone difficult = Quarters, dimes, copper penny, high VDI targets, nails (larger ferrous). Silver rings. The results closely mimic my coin detecting results with other ground balancing PI detectors, but with a big difference. With all the other machines I had two classes of targets. High tone small stuff, low conductors, and low tone large stuff, high conductors. This new method delivers four target classes, potentially a big step up in discrimination capability with a PI. Ferrous can show up in any of the ranges, just depends on size and type.
      By digging the fourth category, it’s basically just high conductive coins, and nails. No zinc pennies or aluminum screw caps. Not good if you have lots of nails, but I will be doing this in a park soon, as many parks are not loaded with nails. Others might be, so it’s site specific.
      The other big caveat I already mentioned. This assumes bad ground, with a ground balance setting to match. The GPX 6000 is automatic and sets its own ground balance. You have no way to set and lock it, unlike a TDI. So I have no idea where the tone shifts will occur in other ground. The good news is that you really don’t need a PI as much in low mineral ground. This might allow people to get more depth on silver coins in really bad ground. The DD coil also skews results, depending on which mode it is in, salt or cancel.
      In other words folks, I’m looking for people who are willing to experiment, and document. I will be doing more of this and adding new information here as I go. Any adventurous souls, please do the same. There is a definite crude discrimination system included with the GPX 6000, by way of an easy button push. Let’s figure it out, and it may open up some new detecting possibilities. 
      I blew it on my first go at this, as I dropped finds into different pockets of my pouch, to separate them by category for a photo, along with the trash. Then I got home and by habit just dumped it all in my sieve to sort the sand and trash out - oops. So will do better at that next time. Bottom line is I got real good at calling out the coins before digging. There are some real possibilities here for the adventurous types - PI naysayers need not apply! 
    • By schoolofhardNox
      Ok, so I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the GPX 6000. It got delivered lightning fast and I was really pumped up in getting it so fast. I called and booked some time at the Native American village I hunt at a lot, for this Thursday. The machine was supposed to get here on Tuesday but arrived on Saturday. I was like a little kid in a candy factory!!!! So I charge the battery a while up to 8 volts, and assemble the machine which is a breeze. What a nice looking, nice feeling unit. Even the packaging is thought out well. Here we go. Pop that battery in, hit the power button, watch the circle spin and then it happened. I get the dreaded devil symbol - 😈  "!" Exclamation point. Not the one with the coil pictured too, just a single, flashing "!" The worst symbol on the machine. Yes, I tried both coils with the same results, and I tried to do a factory reset, but you can't do it. You can't even shut the machine off with that symbol flashing, you have to remove the battery. So I think you know where this is heading... unless there is some miracle fix that they can come up with, it looks like I will be shipping this machine back to the dealer or to a Minelab repair center. It didn't even make a sound while I turned it on....silent from the beginning. I'm thinking this machine knows how hard it's going to get used during my hunts and decided to bail on me 😆 So needless to say I will be pulling out that old outdated (but EXTREMELY durable) GPX 5000 for a general hunt at the Native village. Really bummed out about this. I would think that the machine should have been tested before it got shipped. but with high demand come these types of problems. When I do get it working I'm going to run a post about how it does beach hunting in the fall and small relic hunting at the village site. With no discrimination, I may not use it anywhere else, unless I'm in the mood to dig.

• By F350Platinum
      Mowed the top of The hill over the river I call Mason Jar Hill because of all the Mason jars I have dug there. I beat the heck out of this area with my 11" standard Equinox coil. Today I went back to see if the 10x5 would make a fool of me.
      It sure did 😀
      1932 female dog tag, lucky watch fob from GRIT Family Newspaper in the 1930s, thimble made of aluminum, B&O railroad button, I think a grommet ring, .32 ACP live round, harmonica reed fragment, belt buckle lock.
      The ring was a solid 13 and pretty much right on top of the ground. It was gold colored when I picked it up, and cleaning it just made it more and more gold. It's probably not pure (10k) as a bit of tarnish came off when I tried silver polish, but it just got even brighter. The inside is highly polished and smooth and the outside appears to have a casting seam surrounding it. I thought it might be a pipe cutoff but it is smooth and waxy feeling. No purity marks, the story of my life so far. 😵 It is small, according to my wife about a size 5.

Here's a pic of how the GRIT good luck charm was used:

Here is a pic of the reverse:
      Like I wrote in another post, I may not take this coil off. 😀

• By CVISChris
      Second day on the small flat but this time with the DEUS..   It pulled a few good targets using Fast with the XY screen.  The Mexican Real and the pistol tool were maybe an inch apart and the DEUS heard them both.  The more I use the Deus the more I like it.  Cool two piece button in 3 pieces was just under the grass.  I am having trouble reading the date on the coin so maybe somebody can see better than me?  

• By abenson
      Spent 4 days in Nevada last week and hit 4 different places that consisted of a Military Fort and 3 ghost towns all on private property. Found a nice assortment of stuff. Coins are pretty crusty but should clean up OK. The holed looking coin turn out to be a ration token that has been counter stamped a bunch of time. It reads U.S, Subsistence Department on the one side and had One ration on the other.