GPX 6000, Anyone Tried It Yet In The Worst Ground?

Knomad

In southern Arizona I know of a few areas that have Black Sand as much as a foot deep, and it seems more conductive than average black sand as well, I also know of places where there are Small Very Hot Rocks in Mass.

The Black Sands areas I have tested using every possible mode and setting available and with 6 and 11 inch coils with a Nox 800, and even something the size of a shotgun shell setting Right On The Surface is invisible, same using a Goldbug Pro, and just a slight signal using a TDI SL, Nothing at all even with the TDI if even level with the surface, the ground is not just noisy, the sand literally acts like an electromagnetic dampening field..!

The Small Hot Rock Areas I tested with the same machines and with different sized coils, the larger rocks I can just move, but the small ones range from about 1/8th to 1/2", many hot enough to clear with a magnet, but that doesn't help with the rest still in the ground, these small rocks Mast non iron targets enough to limit a 1/4" target to just 1 to 2 inches depth.

QUESTION -- I see many tout the new GPX 6000, and I have no doubt Minelab finally made an Ergonomic detector, BUT has anyone tried it on the worst ground of the type I just described?  Any Suggestions?  I believe these area have at least some good potential, but are almost Undetectable in the most promising spots.

• Like 1

Have I run the machine in pure magnetite a foot deep? No, and I doubt it would function if I did. I have run the GPX 6000 in very hot magnetite laden serpentine based northern Sierra ground, the hottest I can find, and the detector runs like a detector in really hot ground. Exactly like my GPZ used to run, not perfect, but handles it.GPX-6000_17-Coil_ProductImage-3.png

• Like 8

That's some info, Thanks Steve.

I'm on the fence about ordering a 6000, if I could test one in these Extreme Ground conditions it would tell me if the new ground analysis on it is truly a leap ahead.

MINELAB -- You really need to test your New Baby in The Worst Ground Conditions to perfect the new programming, contact me and I can help.!

On 4/25/2021 at 11:05 PM, Knomad said:

In southern Arizona I know of a few areas that have Black Sand as much as a foot deep, and it seems more conductive than average black sand as well, I also know of places where there are Small Very Hot Rocks in Mass.

The Black Sands areas I have tested using every possible mode and setting available and with 6 and 11 inch coils with a Nox 800, and even something the size of a shotgun shell setting Right On The Surface is invisible, same using a Goldbug Pro, and just a slight signal using a TDI SL, Nothing at all even with the TDI if even level with the surface, the ground is not just noisy, the sand literally acts like an electromagnetic dampening field..!

Sounds like you are new to the gold nugget detecting hobby. You are detecting the wrong spots if you are in black sands  i.e (magnetite, ironstone, manganese, hematite etc.)  that are a foot deep.

Move on, and prospect different areas.

• Like 7

Phase Tech--Really enjoyed your video-thanks.  I do have a question of you or anyone for that matter.  Is the 6000 effected by power lines as bad as the early Minelabs were.  I couldn't get within 200 yards of power lines with my 3000 or my 4500.

I purposely but for a brief 1/2hour run the 6000 over a very variable patch with ironstone impregnated slate and a fine covering of chert fragments, in difficult but auto2 it picked up two scraps of gold on a horse trail. Linear detecting as could not swing side to side due to the grass cover. The 6000 chattered a wee bit and needed a bit of use of the quick trak button but handled that ground whilst recovering gold better then any detector I`ve used, impressed me big time. It is one area I`ll be back to later in the year when the cattle have taken the grass off.

Edit... the ease with which mode changes, emi cancel, sensitivity etc by just a simple button press makes the 6000 easy to alter for ground variation. I suspect it will be a long time in the future before such ground can be worked by detectors without constant attention by the user, the 6000 just makes that attention so easy and quick.

Edited by Norvic
Addition
  • Like 8

Whoops dam this high latency satellite internet we must`ve posted together JP. Wonder it didn`t put it all on one confusing post🤪

• Like 2