GPX 6000, Anyone Tried It Yet In The Worst Ground?

Thanks for the information, both of you. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

The 6000 will yodel just like any detector near power lines until you put the GPX14 DD coil on, then it defaults to Cancel mode and it is pretty much hush quiet after that unless you use the inbuilt speaker.

The inbuilt speaker itself causes EMI interference with the 6000?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jasong said:

I have been using my SPO1 and GOG headphones so haven't tried the speaker much.  Gee thats no good, cheers for the heads up.

Jack

3 hours ago, jasong said:

I get a smoother threshold using the Headphones.

I asked the question and appreciate any experience people have with the 6000 in areas with Really Bad black sand and high numbers hot rocks of small size down in the ground.

Mr. I Brake, Don't make assumptions, I found a .9 Once Nugget 6 inches down in that area years ago, in an 8 inch round hole on bedrock, with enough black sand in the hole to make multiple 3 inch black balls on the magnet I have on the handle of my digger. My Whites GMT gave Magnetic Iron readings in the 70's, and initial Probability of Iron at over 70%, But it was a Good strong signal, and knowing high black sand can effect target I.D I dug it..!

The purpose of asking the question was to get input as to if the 6000 would likely do better in bad ground, I suspect that at least smaller nuggets in the area are BEING MASKED by the Black Sand and Small Bad Hot rocks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I get a smoother threshold using the Headphones.

JP would you say it's from the speaker causing EMI though?

I've only got limited time on the GPX6000 yet but also found that the headphones sound smoother. I thought that the speaker sounded a bit "overdriven" which caused the threshold to sound rattier i.e. it seemed very loud even in low volume settings (was a pretty quiet day too) with it's limited volume range from memory when I did try it? I guess people have been asking for inbuilt speakers that are loud so that's what we got 😜 I didn't really notice what I'd say was more EMI type noises?

For mine the headphones are smoother because you seem to have a lot more range in the volume? I set the detector on only the second volume bar then had the headphones set at around half way. I found that plenty loud + smooth enough for me. Turn the detector & headphones right up & you get the same "overdriven" effect?

Plenty of scope for those who use boosters/amps/enhancers to get even more range out of it but I don't think you'll be needing them for straight out loudness. 

The "breaking up" you're hearing is probably the amplifier circuit distortion.  turning down the volume is the only way to eliminate that...A distorting amp will eventually overheat the voice coil inside the speaker and cause permanent damage to , and possibly total failure . And YES I have learned this the hard way on a major scale !. LOL but I wasn't laughing then....

- Or high volume speaker coil inductance affecting the detectors high gain receive electronics? 

• Thanks 1

OK , guess it could be possible !  ( my area of experience here is primarily pro audio,,,+ tron school.. )  thx for that clue  , makes sense  . Speaker is a long way from pickup coil but real close to the controller circ ?

• Like 1

I really the fact that the 6000 has such a good speaker system as i wear earbuds and not headphones so i would do just fine without any thing over my ears or in them .