Not A Good Sign That You Are Going To Have A Good Day At The Beach...

I have sent an e-mail to Felix at FT with these pictures.  Hopefully they just send me a new rod ASAP.  This is what happens when you hunt wet sand and California surf.  Or it could just have been a poor quality made rod.  Hoping for that latter as the wet sand California surf is the only place I have to use the Impulse AQ and don't want to have to worry about this again.

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

IMG_9951.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 4

Cuniagau, man that sux. I feel your pain. I hope Felix is on top of this for you !
I agree with midalake. I also have already read of others breaking. In my opinion the clevis shaft should be a bit longer and if they are hell bent on pins for movement go with only the top pin. It clearly broke at the pin. I think I read they were going to fill with epoxy but just like your bones the tube should be stronger hollow. Not to cast sand but Minelab has the strongest ISO rod going I think. Longer insertion into shaft, and no pins. Maybe a different type plastic or nylon composite. I have heated and removed many Minelab clevis to reinstall in longer CF lower shafts I make and only use waterproof epoxy to cement in place. Clearly they have an issue that they should look at. JMHO . Good luck everybody and super moon getting tides off well here in Virginia.

• Like 1

They just need to use a better plastic formula. They should have used Marelon. It's pretty much unbreakable.

• Like 2

You got it to the right person it seems.

• Like 1

Mine broke just like yours during the minus tides. I did a quick repair until the new one arrived. Wooden dowel, epoxy and nylon nut and bolt. Good luck hunting!

• Oh my! 1

They should have just glued that post instead of running a pin through that causes a weak spot. Even though that post is solid it is still just plastic.

• Like 2

Yikes! Thanks for posting the failure, now I'm a little worried since I've been hunting the wet sand hard all month and I sweep the sand with my coil. I think I'll order an extra rod for back up just in case..

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Carolina
      Mailed my detector to California today. Going to find out why it won’t turn off at times or won’t turn on at times outdoors in 80+ degrees. Indoors 70 degrees works like it should. I will post the results.
    • By geof_junk
      But not looking forward to the last 2.

A Man's Age - as Determined by a Trip to Bunning's  (Bunning's is an Aus. large retail hardware outlet.)

You are in the middle of some kind of project around the house --.
      Mowing the lawn, putting in a new fence, painting the living room or
      whatever.
      You are hot and sweaty, covered in dust, lawn clippings, dirt or paint.
      You have your old work clothes on.
      You know the outfit -- shorts with the hole in the crotch, old T-shirt with
      a stain from
      who-knows-what and an old pair of tennis shoes.

Right in the middle of this great home improvement project you realise you
      need to run to Bunnings to get something to help complete the job.

Depending on your age you might do the following:

In your 20's:
      Stop what you are doing. Shave, take a shower, blow dry your hair, brush
      your teeth, floss and put on clean clothes.
      Check yourself in the mirror and flex.
      Add a dab of your favourite cologne because you never know, you just might
      meet some hot chick while standing in the checkout lane. And you went to
      school with the pretty girl running the register.

In your 30's:
      Stop what you are doing, put on clean shorts and shirt. Change shoes.
      You married the hot chick so no need for much else. Wash your hands and comb
      your hair.
      Check yourself in the mirror. Still got it. Add a shot of your favourite
      cologne to cover the smell.
      The cute girl running the register is the kid sister to someone you went to
      school with.

In your 40's:
      Stop what you are doing. Put on a teeshirt that is long enough to cover
      the hole in the crotch of your shorts.
      Put on different shoes and a hat. Wash your hands.
      Your bottle of Brut Cologne is almost empty so you don't want to waste any
      of it on a trip to Bunnings
      Check yourself in the mirror and do more sucking in than flexing.
      The hot young thing running the register is your daughter's age and you feel
      weird thinking she is spicy.

In your 50's:
      Stop what you are doing. Put on a hat; wipe the dirt off your hands onto
      your shirt.
      Change shoes because you don't want to get dog c**p in your new sports car.
      Check yourself in the mirror and you swear not to wear that shirt anymore
      because it makes you look fat.
      The Cutie running the register smiles when she sees you coming and you think
      you still have it.
      Then you remember the hat you have on is from Gunmart's Bait Bar
      and it says, 'I Got Worms.'

In your 60's:
      Stop what you are doing. No need for a hat anymore.
      Hose the dog c**p off your shoes. The mirror was shattered when you were in
      your 50's.
      You hope you have underwear on so nothing hangs out the hole in your pants.
      The girl running the register may be cute, but you don't have your glasses
      on so you are not sure.

In your 70's:
      Stop what you are doing. Wait to go to Bunnings until the Chemist has your
      prescriptions ready, too.
      Don't even notice the dog c**p on your shoes.
      The young thing at the register stares at you and you realise your balls are
      hanging out the hole in your crotch.

In your 80's:
      Stop what you are doing. Start again. Then stop again.
      Now you remember you need to go to Bunnings. Go to K-Mart instead and wander
      around trying to think what it is you are looking for.
      Fart out loud and you think someone called out your name.
      You went to school with the old lady who greeted you at the front door.

In your 90's & beyond:
      What's a bundings ? Something for my garden?
      Where am I ? Who am I ? Why am I reading this ?
      Did I post it ? Did you? Who farted ? 
    • By tvr
      Walked down to the local watering hole; brackish water bay tributary, pretty well cleared out over the years but a bit trashy with bits of iron. Ran delay 7, sensitivity 7, threshold 4, volume 8, ATS 6.5, reject 6; mostly all metal but some tones and mute to check targets.
      Initial reaction is that it is a little easier to hear the edge modulation with the 8 inch than with the big coil. I walked away from several targets that were very pronounced double tones then had a more subtle edge that I told myself to walk away … but dig to verify. That was the little fish hook. The odd shaped washer, to the right of the fish hook, fooled me; it sounded pretty good in all metal and in tones. The rest of it is all non-ferrous. Some of the small targets fell through the scoop several times before I finally capture them and got them in the pouch. This set up finds fairly small targets well. Tones seem to be more pronounced to me with this coil than with the big coil with some similar settings, yet I think I still hear iron better in all metal than in tones ... maybe some setting tweeks would change that around but I'm pretty happy in all metal.
      I did have an interference issue. A boat about 100 feet from me fired up and the AQ talked and talked. Stepped through the frequencies and no help there. I was shallow enough the detector head was above water so I went deep where the detector electronics were well under water and, surprise to me, that did not help either. Dropping the sensitivity down to 2 made it usable. Once he lowered the boat lift, backed off and motored away I could turn the sensitivity back up and hunt with a very quiet AQ.
      Did have a great blue heron land on the beach and walk into the water. Got about 30 feet away from me so I stayed still and watched it turn its head looking for minnows, catch and eat them. After a few minutes it walked around the beach corner towards the boat lift then flew about 2 hundred yards down the water.
      A good afternoon in the water.

• By Mikeguard01
      Didn't get out this past week since I was under the weather.
      Started out with the detector being really unstable. Water got into the coil connector. Blew the water out of the connector and tightened the back-shell and everything was good to go. I also have noticed when I'm in shallow water she's a little noisy and a lot of falsing (water way below the connector). She's pretty stable when completely covered. I do run my machine hot in all metal.
      One old beach I hunt always has sand piled in to the one side. No sand movement in this area other than more accumulation. For years I said there has to be targets just out of detection range. Well not for the AQ. I did find a few targets in this area. I had to work slow since these targets were pretty close to the depth limit and I was running hot. A few pieces of crusty Silver and a nice 10K ring dated 1946.
      HH
      Mike

• By cjc
      Really liking the audio information of this detector.  If anyone wants to look around there's a great video on the reactivity that shows what it will do.  Seeing this showed me how differently the machine is responding well to elongated targets if you change your sweep direction, "feel" around and listen for the double tone  or anything that is not centered.  For a pulse I dig very little with this detector.  While there are certainly hoop earrings, crosses and other targets that would probably sound similar, overall the potential is there to really develop some accuracy.  I also like how it "discriminates" between non ferrous and anything that's blending into the ground--including caps (wide / narrow).  My beach is very sanded in now but the potential for getting 20" gold with this machine is very exciting.  The video shows that  its a detector that learning and using your basics with will pay off. 
      cjc

• By okara gold
      I've been using the 8 inch coil exclusively in the salt water for about 18 hours now. It is definitely quieter than the 12.5 inch. I am running with a delay around 8 or 8.5 and today 9 because of some bigger swells coming in right up against the shore. Played around with some higher delay settings and things quiet down even more. If walking parallel to shore in the water, there is still some "noise" when sweeping from the shallows to deeper water as can be expected. Coming back from deeper to shallow...all is quiet.  Coil sweep speed and height control still play a key part in keeping the threshold smooth. It seems more sensitive to smaller objects and some iron will still give a double blip in all metal. Sensitivity was set at 6 and ATS around 5.
      I'm wondering... Say you run the big coil with a delay around 11 and the small coil with a delay around 8... which one would have better punching power on ring size objects?