Not A Good Sign That You Are Going To Have A Good Day At The Beach...

I have sent an e-mail to Felix at FT with these pictures.  Hopefully they just send me a new rod ASAP.  This is what happens when you hunt wet sand and California surf.  Or it could just have been a poor quality made rod.  Hoping for that latter as the wet sand California surf is the only place I have to use the Impulse AQ and don't want to have to worry about this again.

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

IMG_9951.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 4

Cuniagau, man that sux. I feel your pain. I hope Felix is on top of this for you !
I agree with midalake. I also have already read of others breaking. In my opinion the clevis shaft should be a bit longer and if they are hell bent on pins for movement go with only the top pin. It clearly broke at the pin. I think I read they were going to fill with epoxy but just like your bones the tube should be stronger hollow. Not to cast sand but Minelab has the strongest ISO rod going I think. Longer insertion into shaft, and no pins. Maybe a different type plastic or nylon composite. I have heated and removed many Minelab clevis to reinstall in longer CF lower shafts I make and only use waterproof epoxy to cement in place. Clearly they have an issue that they should look at. JMHO . Good luck everybody and super moon getting tides off well here in Virginia.

• Like 1

They just need to use a better plastic formula. They should have used Marelon. It's pretty much unbreakable.

• Like 2

You got it to the right person it seems.

• Like 1

Mine broke just like yours during the minus tides. I did a quick repair until the new one arrived. Wooden dowel, epoxy and nylon nut and bolt. Good luck hunting!

• Oh my! 1

They should have just glued that post instead of running a pin through that causes a weak spot. Even though that post is solid it is still just plastic.

• Like 2

Yikes! Thanks for posting the failure, now I'm a little worried since I've been hunting the wet sand hard all month and I sweep the sand with my coil. I think I'll order an extra rod for back up just in case..

• Like 1