Not A Good Sign That You Are Going To Have A Good Day At The Beach...

Pins are no different on the old Minelab sovereign and Excalibur shafts (set low). I've broke a few of them over a 12 year period but never a Whites. I broke them because of me leaning on them when digging which will cause stress cracks then a eventual fail. Where is my Buddy Dew, that's his number one thing to break. 

SNAG-0007.jpg

• Like 5

I don’t think any shaft will hold up to being a crutch. Coil ears as well. Don’t see the 12 1/2” coil ears ever breaking on the Impulse but the new clevis design may now apply pressure differently on the shaft. I’m sure that Fisher will come up with a solution though. Give me that Minelab ISO rod “ clevis “ any day !

• Like 2

I’m not sure there’s a part I’ve not broken on a water machine.  Joe knows me best he’s fixed a lot of um for me.  I’ve split coils, broken ears, shafts, cuffs.... but hey from it all I’ve learned a lot.  I can also say I never broke anything to my knowledge when dirt hunting.   That’s why I’ve always said .... plan for ... stuff breaks in the water especially...  thank goodness we find some gold. 

• Like 5

Here are some more pictures of the break.  From what I see, there was salt water intrusion around the pins that were supposed to be sealed in epoxy.  I hope that this was an isolated case and not the norm.  

The broken shaft was received by FT today (April 29) at 10:23 AM.  I have yet to receive my replacement, nor have I heard anything more from FT about it.  I would have thought that the replacement would have been sent out on Monday also.  I was  in contact with Russ, Felix and Alexandre all on Monday and nothing since.  On a good note, I got gold ring #7 with my Equinox yesterday.  

IMG_9965.jpg

IMG_9964.jpg

IMG_9963.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like the holes for the pins are pretty deep and drilled. Lets see what they come up with, but I would think pinning (and only drilling) on one side would be enough and leave less of a chance of failure at the pin location than there is with holes coming from both sides. Or just epoxy the fitting in the shaft.

I have had two Excal coil mounts come loose from the shaft (fell out). I epoxied them back in and neither one has had a repeat.

• Like 1

Is that coil connector a SOLID piece?  I wouldnt want it drilled from just one side.  Ive found when using those spring clips a single will allow movement with torque no matter the shaft lock over time it will wear.  To me it seems a little epoxy added would do the job along with just one of those pins.  Sometimes chit happens.   Havent seen Orka Gold post about his lower shaft that didnt come with his small coil yet either .... they seem slow on repairs but this may well be the times we are living in currently.  Its taking longer on a lot of things now days.

2 hours ago, vive equinox said:

alexandre or someone else, do you know if there will be customer service in europe when it is delivered on that continent?

Yes there is an importer in Europe who takes care of this.

It is he who will manage the exchanges and guarantees.  It is located in eastern Europe.

6 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Havent seen Orka Gold post about his lower shaft that didnt come with his small coil yet either ....

Hello Dewey. It shipped on 4-28. Anxious to see how it performs. BUT... check out my latest post today.