Little-big Coin

I had not heard of a trime till found this site. Is it a slang name for 3 cents. I see it is smaller than out 3 pence  (slang ... thruppence) our smallest sterling coin. 3d --16.22mm compared to 3c -- 14mm. The 3d was my most common silver coin find but the hardest to detect but it helped that a lot of people missed them. 😂 

• Like 1

Welcome to the Trime club! Heckuva Barber, the only ones I've ever found were in our coin collection. 😀 Might put one in a Ziploc and bury it to see how they act. But then I'd be detecting a coin in a Ziploc... 🤔 I didn't know what a Trime was either until I joined.

Great finds.

7 hours ago, geof_junk said:

I had not heard of a trime till found this site. Is it a slang name for 3 cents.

I think it's specfically the silver 3 cent piece, at least here in the USA.  We also had a nickel-copper 3 cent piece which superceded the silver one.  That wasn't very popular either.  Finding either is an accomplishment but the silver one is so tiny that it's even a better feather in one's cap than a nickel 3-center.

In the mid-19th Century the USA experimented with several non-standard denominations:  2-cent, 3-cent and 20-cent.  None came even close to catching on.  They all share a pattern -- the first few years had (relatively speaking) high mintages but their failure to be popular led to a few years of low to very low mintages and eventually their demise.  The years of mintage were:

2-Cent (95% copper) -- 1964-1873 (10 total, with almost 75% being in the first two years),

silver 3-Cent (90% silver) -- 1851-1873 (23 years, but 1864 and later are all rare),

nickel 3-Cent (25% nickel) -- 1865-1889 (25 year, but from 1877 on all are rare except 1881).

20-Cent (90% silver) -- 1875-1879 (5 years, all quite collectible and except for two with mintages specified below, rare to extremely rare.)

Of special note for the 20-center is that of the above oddball denominations it's the only one to bear a mintmark (i.e. only one minted outside of Philadelphia).  All five years had coins minted in Philadelphia.  1875-S and both 1875-CC and 1876-CC are the exceptions.  The 1875-S has by far the highest mintage (1.115 million) followed by the 1875-CC (0.133 million).

I've never read of a metal detectorist finding a 20-Cent piece.  Anyone here ever found one?   You don't even hear of it being a bucket lister and most people, detectorist or not, probably don't even realize they ever existed.  Quite an asterisk in the history of USA coin minting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 3 cent nickel version hits in the foil range so most are passed up.I have found 2. One was with the infinium and the other with the x-terra  70 with the 18kz. 9'' concentric which hits them better then the standard coil.They both were in the same park.Clad hopper got one that just gave his Explorer a thud sound because it was  so  deep.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

...x-terra  70 with the 18kz. 9'' concentric which hits them better than the standard coil...

By 'standard coil' do you mean the 7.5 kHz 9" concentric, which has the same outward appearance as the one you used, just different inards?  That 18 kHz version must be an unusual (as in very uncommon) coil.  Most 18 kHz users were after natural gold, I assume, and went with other options (such as the 5"x10" DD and 6" round DD).

Given all the coins you've found there in the greater Buffalo, NY region I thought you might be a person who has found or heard of someone finding an elusive USA 20-cent piece.  No such luck?

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

By 'standard coil' do you mean the 7.5 kHz 9" concentric, which has the same outward appearance as the one you used, just different inards?  That 18 kHz version must be an unusual (as in very uncommon) coil.  Most 18 kHz users were after natural gold, I assume, and went with other options (such as the 5"x10" DD and 6" round DD).

Given all the coins you've found there in the greater Buffalo, NY region I thought you might be a person who has found or heard of someone finding an elusive USA 20-cent piece.  No such luck?

Yes.  The 7.5 9'' concentric.No  Us   20 cent but   one found a 20 cent piece from a  Canadian  territory.The 9'' on the 18kz coil was good on small gold rings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

...Found a 20 cent piece from a  Canadian  territory.

1858?  I think that was the only year Canada (national mint) produced a 20-cent piece.  But I found prices for 20-cent pieces from both New Brunswick (1862 and 1864) and Newfoundland (several years between 1865 and 1912, but most years didn't have any minted).

Do you still have it?

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

1858?  I think that was the only year Canada (national mint) produced a 20-cent piece.  But I found prices for 20-cent pieces from both New Brunswick (1862 and 1864) and Newfoundland (several years between 1865 and 1912, but most years didn't have any minted).

Do you still have it?

It was not mt but a guy  I know.I think it was from Newfoundland.This guy also found I think over 10 trimes in one park in  a small eastern Lake  Ontario city.He also found a  1 dollar gold coin made into a love token.I wonder if that counts for Tom in  California to be in the gold coin club.  One time before Clad hopper has his Explorer this guy( who found the 20  cent  coin) found about 15  Barber coins to his 0 in 1 hunt in a old Rochester park.  I think he sold him on how good the  Explorer was for coins  compared to his Garrett 2500.Clad hopper is 6 short on his 1000  career  Indian.They are hiding this year from him since he has not found one yet but are getting in the way of my coil since I have about 10.Speaking of trimes me and my buddy guided   Mike Moutray which lead him to his first ever trime during   his  travels.It was also the day i found my 2 gold coins and the guy who found the 20 cent  coin found a 1917-s Standing  liberty quarter in Au condition.It was quite a day for all of us. Clad hopper was in Vegas for business during this hunt so he missed all the fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I think (the Candian 20-Cent piece) was from Newfoundland.

Likely that is as unusual/difficult of a find as a USA 20-Cent piece, particularly because it was found here in the USA.  I realize Canada isn't far from you and that the closer to the border the more likely to find Canadian coins.  But their 20-Cent pieces weren't popular or common, either, AFAIK.

Sounds like you have quite the group of detecting friends up there in your area.  Nice that you share the experience so generously.  "...In Vegas for business..." -- I've used that excuse on more than one occasion, too.  😏

• Like 1