Ace Apex Software Update 1.28

On 4/28/2021 at 3:34 AM, Dancer said:

Just for the sake of argument.     Myself and plenty others have and do own (including Garretts) that are not updateable.   They were made right the first time,  Of course some needed sent back for some tweaking.     Going back through history , they produced terrific finds.  Now we buy a machine that has to be (updated) with aspects that should have been included in the first place.   Like the ones listed in this thread.   Where as, even many machines from all price ranges got it right (more or less) the first time.    It's not a advantage when we go hunting and having to worry "Wonder if I missed a update?"    The Apex is a great shot in the arm for Garrett sales.   An Ace on steroids.     The biggest update would be water proof to 10 feet.   This is where the,    No Updates   All Terrain Pro series has been Garretts wheelhouse.      So same price range, no hassle .  No tip toeing around water.

I could not update my old dial phone either. That's because you do not update analog - you rewire it. Updates have only become important now that a detector is actually a complex program running in a microprocessor. I'd no more buy a new model digital detector that can't be updated, as I would buy a cell phone that can't be updated, and for the same reasons. This is not grandpas metal detector.

But no worries, just my recommendation, and one I plan to follow personally from here on out. I'm sure lots of low end detectors will continue to be sold without an update function, and that's fine. I really only mean brand new models, which these days are almost sure to need an update at some point.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2021 at 12:21 AM, palzynski said:

Yes I agree . I have a little story about this . Once I was in a "sea of iron nails"  with my deus hf set at 30khz and there was an other guy , that I never met before , who arrived at the same time with an Ace , I dont remember which model  . Two hours later we compared our finds , I had 15 small coins in my hand and he had found ... nothing.    I was really disappointed for him actually btw ...  Conclusion in this area you absolutely need a specialized high freq machine if you want to find something .  You would find very few with a machine running under 15khz there .. .

This was a very interesting ( and not planned )  field test , which simply means that you need the right tool for the right job.

Concerning the software update yes I consider it as a very interesting feature , even if sometimes I get excited when microsoft blocks my PC with a windows update and I have something urgent to do lol ... 🙂 

Palz  yep no doubt your deus smoked the Ace 250.    And it takes a pretty experienced  hunter to master that machine.   But that same day if you and the owner of the 250 swapped machines. My money would be on Palz hands down, hunting the Ace.    Not knowing either of you guys, what do you think?   

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 6:21 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I could not update my old dial phone either. That's because you do not update analog - you rewire it. Updates have only become important now that a detector is actually a complex program running in a microprocessor. I'd no more buy a new model digital detector that can't be updated, as I would buy a cell phone that can't be updated, and for the same reasons. This is not grandpas metal detector.

But no worries, just my recommendation, and one I plan to follow personally from here on out. I'm sure lots of low end detectors will continue to be sold without an update function, and that's fine. I really only mean brand new models, which these days are almost sure to need an update at some point.

Well ,people still use land line phones for security reasons.  Cell's are more convenient, but the whole world listens in.    Now as far as machines go. You got to remember that a lot of guys grew up with and take to advanced electronics more than others.   I shouldn't make any statements about these newer machines that I haven't hunted.    But I'm wondering Steve, take your top 3 up dateable machines. Am I wrong to think that the difference between them, is a pretty thin slice.    One thing I'm pretty sure about is that.    Head to head you could out hunt me with a AT Pro while I swing a Deus or maybe a Nox.     2 out of 3 times at least.

Hi Dancer ,

Actually I should have said that if my Deus HF is running at 14khz in this area and despite my experience, I would  find nothing .  You start to find things there at frequencies above 20khz , either you are experienced or not, and whatever the detector.  The only exception is the Teknetics T2 14khz that is performing well with its FA mode, this detector has something special ...🙂

The funny thing is once you know the correct settings , the Deus is very easy to use , even by a beginner and even on these nail beds . The Deus is far easier to use there than an equinox/vanquish for example , With a Deus you dont hear the irons because it filters them , and it just beeps on the good targets.  The pb with the Deus is the number of settings, for example 11 detection modes . The beginners are messed up with all the settings and for example they often use the wrong detection mode . Btw it took me 2 years to understand that the Deus Fast mode was the best mode for my kind of hunting.

For beginners , the Orx is simpler and a better choice than the Deus to my opinion

btw I dont remember why we are discussing about the Deus settings in the Garrett forum 🙂 ...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

For those of you who hunt saltwater beaches with the Apex I can confirm that the update does give better stability in the wet.  I used my updated detector at Santa Monica Beach in Los Angeles this weekend and it was rock solid.  GB was a consistent 11/12 with very little falsing even at max sensitivity.  I dug an Iphone over a foot down in the wet sand and it was a good solid signal.  The Apex is in my view is a salt water beach sleeper that offers excellent performance for a very attractive price point.  There were eight guys hunting when I was there and they all had a certain brand of machine that pretty much owns the beach these days.  In comparing finds with them the Apex held its own.  I have used that certain brand of machine since it came out and can tell you that you don't lose much, if anything, with the Apex.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 10:06 PM, Bill (S. CA) said:

... The Apex is in my view is a salt water beach sleeper that offers excellent performance for a very attractive price point.  There were eight guys hunting when I was there and they all had a certain brand of machine that pretty much owns the beach these days.  In comparing finds with them the Apex held its own.  I have used that certain brand of machine since it came out and can tell you that you don't lose much, if anything, with the Apex.

I am currently testing the Apex inland but I have a very experienced friend who has tested it at the beach on the French west coast ( Bretagne ) and he said that the Apex goes deep and is a very good beach detector.  

From my standpoint I am not a beach hunter but I have a static test at home (a box filled with sand + salt water ) with a 2 euros coin at 10 inches depth , and I noticed that the Apex goes deep in the salt sand and hits the coin with both the Viper and the Ripper coil ...   I have the 1.28 update

DSC02626.JPG

DSC02700.JPG

• Like 4