River Hunt Experience Ends Well

19 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Waders are inherently dangerous so I use a Mustang auto/manual CO2 type II PFD from my boating days.

Could you go into more detail?  I ask because I sometimes wear waders in a creek here and if there's something I need to be aware of I'd like to know now.

The nickel is and was a 9/10. 🙂 It's about as thin as those reales I dug! Weighs 2.5g. It looks just like it did when I scooped it.

Ah, maybe the loss of thickness is the reason.  High conductors (like copper) aren't as vulnerable to dTID droop caused by thinning, I think, because the penetration depth of the eddy currents is shallow -- i.e. more of a surface effect.  (Could be way off-base on that, though.)  Interesting datapoint.

...A large Rockfish pulled me out into another river.

Wow and yikes!  I caught a rockfish off the California coast (pretty tasty, IMO, even though the locals think of it as nothing special) but maybe that is a different specie.  It was a couple pounds, nothing that could pull a person off a boat.  😲 😬

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Could you go into more detail?  I ask because I sometimes wear waders in a creek here and if there's something I need to be aware of I'd like to know now.

Ah, maybe the loss of thickness is the reason.  High conductors (like copper) aren't as vulnerable to dTID droop caused by thinning, I think, because the penetration depth of the eddy currents is shallow -- i.e. more of a surface effect.  (Could be way off-base on that, though.)  Interesting datapoint.

Wow and yikes!  I caught a rockfish off the California coast (pretty tasty, IMO, even though the locals think of it as nothing special) but maybe that is a different specie.  It was a couple pounds, nothing that could pull a person off a boat.  😲 😬

I have heard from my duck hunting buddies when I told them I was going to river hunt that if you slip or fall into the deep water, the waders can fill up and drag you down if you can't get out of them easily. There is a shelf in this place where I'm hunting. If you wear a tight belt over them you do get some buoyancy, but it might not be the buoyancy you want... The other problem of course is water temperature, the colder it is the more it will affect you quickly. The PFD should keep my head up. It's only about 15-20 feet deep in this branch, but some places are deeper.

My waders are chest high and heavily insulated, I thought I would be out in the river when it was colder. The boots have a steel shank and are heavy. I used my scoop to check some of the softer exposed areas, and one step took my foot 6". Pulled it out and backed off! It's all sand on top with sticky/stinky black muck underneath that will stain your hand.

Currents run pretty fast here, I was kayaking once and got caught on a creek when tide was going out and had the same tree as my goal for almost 45 minutes of paddling. I traded my fishing kayak for some construction work. 😀

The rockfish was about 30" long and weighed about 20 pounds. When I got it to the kayak I cut it loose because I had nowhere to put it. 😀 Later on my boat I got a 42" that weighed 32 pounds. It was like rescuing someone from the river!

They don't pull you off the kayak, they take you for what kayak fishermen call "The Sleigh Ride". You use your anchor to stop that so you can reel it in. If you don't have one and don't cut the line you may get caught in a current you have to fight, or end up a long way away!

• Like 2

I saw a vid once of a guy that caught a swordfish fishing from a kayak.

Talk about a sleigh ride !

It was a long day for him ....... 

He called some friends with a boat to come out to bring him back to shore.

They had to help him with bringing the fish in too , he was beat ! 

Can't remember exactly but think it was in Costa Rica?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

I saw a vid once of a guy that caught a swordfish fishing from a kayak.

Talk about a sleigh ride !

It was a long day for him ....... 

He called some friends with a boat to come out to bring him back to shore.

They had to help him with bringing the fish in too , he was beat ! 

Can't remember exactly but think it was in Costa Rica?

Kayak fishing was a lot of fun. I think I'm too old for it now. I've seen some ridiculously huge catches myself. Got a lot of Atlantic Croakers and Catfish.

I got into it before anyone really made an affordable fishing kayak, I took a Sit on Top and tricked it out, thus no place for a large fish. Used to tow them back on a stringer.

I'm probably over the top on safety here. It made sense to me to be careful, got some warnings about this area. 

• Like 2

Can't be too careful!

Read what happened to JoeOBN; if you haven't already! That was a dry suit, but same applies!👍👍

• Like 1

Yup yup tow 'on the stringer fer sure in a kayak!

I have a fishkin' buddy that had a 16' Whaler that he wanted to mount one of those overhead tow rigs for a skiier. 

SO we didn't have to try pulling the really big ones over the side ! Some of them have really sharp teeth !!! and others were just bad for the back musckles....

Two old pirates ,,,, sad  !  skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Long story short , he traded the boat for a camper and now I'm trying to get him hooked of detecting .....we can still fish from shore ,,, and IT's working!  Bwa ha ha ha.,,,I mean ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ! 

• Haha 1