Norvics 6000 Initial Impression

3 hours ago, Norvic said:

Does it compete with my ZX combos...... no way it complements it.

As I said yesterday on another post, it’s a great weapon to add to a good prospector’s arsenal. 
I was impressed with it in the very small amount of time I got to see it and cannot wait to get my hands on one.

Lookout gullies and creeks!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Norvic said:

Ok have spent 12 hours behind the 6000, on old patches (our wet will not let me go further) Like all ML detectors the 6000 is Magic, but then I say that about any detector or coil that puts weight in my pocket, thus I give my review because history is in the past and we are looking forward if you don`t agree stop reading and bug off. 

At this early stage I list the great features, tis light, no menu just a simple matter to press a button say go from normal to difficult, to change sensitivity, to switch from no threshold to threshold, to change operation channel etc  top time saving features. Does it get gold? You bet it does, remarkable sensitivity/depth on "micrograms"  and stability and it has found its first patch, in amongst the high grass  on a 45deg slope on the bank of a small wash. Am I impressed..... you bet but that is normal for each ML new detector for me since year dot. Only thing at this early stage I miss is no manual GB to give the final cleanup of patches. Does it compete with my ZX combos...... no way it complements it.

Thanks mate. You have seen many generations of detectors and such positive words from someone seasoned like you weigh heavily. Of course, the question that GPZ owners will have is whether or not the 6000 would add significant value for those who use X-coils on their GPZ. Since I am not in that camp (yet) my answer is definitely yes! And I can't wait to finally have mine. But if I had a smaller X-coil already, would I want to spend 6k US? The weight difference alone might not justify such an investment, and the ergonomics of the Z is pretty good already. And unless Geosense would see things the Zed/X can't, what would be the striking argument? 

• Like 1

Sheppo that lightweight mono allows easy scanning of the immediate rugged banks of those creeks and gullies. 

GC you`ve nailed it, something is different in the way the 6000 handles variable ground, maybe Geosense is more than just a marketing word. I know as I was working grassed wet ground and the sun was rising I had to hit that noise cancel button often to keep that coil working.

Beatup, tis easy to like. Gerry`s training has been shortened up but he`ll have plenty of users to offset and keep him busy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Sheppo that lightweight mono allows easy scanning of the immediate rugged banks of those creeks and gullies. 

GC you`ve nailed it, something is different in the way the 6000 handles variable ground, maybe Geosense is more than just a marketing word. I know as I was working grassed wet ground and the sun was rising I had to hit that noise cancel button often to keep that coil working.

Beatup, tis easy to like. Gerry`s training has been shortened up but he`ll have plenty of users to offset and keep him busy.

Glad you like the little blue beastie Norvic. 😃 Couple of things about the 6000, one is it is a little more prone to EMI especially if you tilt the coil out of level plane, this is because the timings are a really wide bandwidth. Obviously in the terrain your working titling the coil is the go-to mode so like the 5000 up in your country you just need to learn to live with it. Secondly I am not a fan of the inbuilt speaker so advise serious operators to look into a low latency Bluetooth receiver arrangement and go wireless. Avantree low latency APTX receiver

I have tested the Avantree unit and it performs extremely well on the 6000, you can then go from the receiver to a booster like the B&Z or Steelphase then out to a single or dual speaker or just plug in your favourite headphones like the wired Bose Noise Cancelling buds (most Bose BT buds are not APTX BTW). Basically you treat the Receiver unit like the WM12 for the GPZ.

The 6000 also takes a little while to settle down after turn-on and performing its noise cancel so be patient as the threshold starts to settle, you will notice the threshold sounds extremely dominant after first turning on and there will be a fair few spurious false signals as you sweep the coil. After a noise cancel the threshold will also sound very dominant then slowly settle down. My usual method is to turn the unit on with the coil 100mm up and held flat and let the detector stabilise then I go and lean it against a tree as I get my gear organised this way it’s slowly settling down/warming up as you prepare.

When I’m ready to go detecting I’ll check the threshold with the coil held flat and maybe perform another noise cancel if its a little unstable then walk off as it settles down. 

Hope this helps

JP

• Like 8

Tis some help there I have an Avantree receiver/transmitter combo and I `ll try the receiver but wires hanging around turn out to be a hindrance rather than a bonus around foliage, so basically I`m on the hunt or will construct a clip on shoulder rechargeable speaker with a BT module enclosed..

The EMI I speak of is natural from the sun I suspect as we are going through some pretty heavy current sun atmospheric layer ionization and its effect is similar to distant thunderstorms on both detectors and transceivers, I have found as a HAM/detectorist but I don`t wish to complicate a simple to use detector but very capable detector going any further there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Norvic said:

Tis some help there I have an Avantree receiver/transmitter combo and I `ll try the receiver but wires hanging around turn out to be a hindrance rather than a bonus around foliage, so basically I`m on the hunt or will construct a clip on shoulder rechargeable speaker with a BT module enclosed..

The EMI I speak of is natural from the sun I suspect as we are going through some pretty heavy current sun atmospheric layer ionization and its effect is similar to distant thunderstorms on both detectors and transceivers, I have found as a HAM/detectorist but I don`t wish to complicate a simple to use detector but very capable detector going any further there. 

I think Lunk had a speaker already picked out in one of the threads, but you will have to search for it.  I remember it looking pretty slick as it just attached around your neck with a speaker on both sides so they would be under your ears.

• Like 1

With the BT though, do you adjust the volume at the headphones or is it the same volume buttons on control panel like for the rear speaker?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

With the BT though, do you adjust the volume at the headphones or is it the same volume buttons on control panel like for the rear speaker?

AFN, I don`t know as have not tried the H/ps,  H/ps hanging off ears in foliage are destroyed regularly, although without cable may prove OK,  get back to you later today on that one. I do know the built in speaker has plenty of volume when turned right up but discerning those subtle T/H changes is somewhat difficult. Will check out Lunks recent posts.