Norvics 6000 Initial Impression

Norvic,

This reminds me of the Bose Sunglasses I saw.  I wonder if Avantree makes sunglasses.

I have some Avantree's I use with my Equinox.

I'm glad you like the 6000.  I'm certain that any detector that automatically adjust to the ground will find its place in the nugget world.  A GB2 needs constant manual adjustment.  That becomes automatic to some people.  Some people can't master it.  I've never used a GB2 but I have a GB Pro.

If you take the human out of it and make a computer determine the settings (a little bit of AI) for smoothness to ignore the ground it will do a better job than most of us could ever do.

Mitchel

• Like 2

AFN, the headphones have their own two button volume control.

MN that Al Xter is a bit alright but I`ve found manual GB is a feature that helps especially in benign river and creek sand for depth, also another option for patch clean up along with Bogenes. Which reminds me the no audible threshold (Bogenes) on the 6000 is pretty good, on all  of the positive undisturbed signals I switched to it registered, audio was a little clipped but definite, I used the speaker not the H/ph so I expect on those very slight threshold changes it will not register. 

Those Aventrees that Lunk found are starting to sound like the go, initially I thought you needed to put the ear buds in the ear but not necessarily so apparently MN are they the Avantrees you use with the Equinox?

• Like 2

This may have been answered already, but does the 6000 work with any Bluetooth headset? Let’s say I have a Bose or Sony noise canceling headphones, or even AirPods, would those work with this machine?

I rigged up my GM24K with a Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk headphones/transmitter and it worked pretty well, just a bit kludgy. I’d prefer not to have to install a transmitter, or use specialized headphones if I don’t have to.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I have tested the Avantree unit and it performs extremely well on the 6000, you can then go from the receiver to a booster like the B&Z or Steelphase then out to a single or dual speaker or just plug in your favourite headphones like the wired Bose Noise Cancelling buds (most Bose BT buds are not APTX BTW). Basically you treat the Receiver unit like the WM12 for the GPZ.

Rather then go down the cords on the shoulder track with multi battery charging, I`ve ordered a set of Aventree Torus as per Lunks link but through Aventree Australia, these give the option of using the retractable ear buds or using the speaker function on a band that simply you place around your neck.

Once I`ve field tested them on the 6000 I will post my findings in this thread. Time will tell if this is the go but it does seem a great concept, I thank Lunk & DP for making me aware of such.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Norvic said:

The EMI I speak of is natural from the sun I suspect as we are going through some pretty heavy current sun atmospheric layer ionization and its effect is similar to distant thunderstorms on both detectors and transceivers, I have found as a HAM/detectorist but I don`t wish to complicate a simple to use detector but very capable detector going any further there. 

I can assure all forum readers it is much more stable to use the GPX6000 with the headphones wired or wireless or use a wireless speaker arrangement rather than use the inbuilt speaker.

JP 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

or use a wireless speaker arrangement

If using a Bluetooth receiver of some description (APTX Low Latency of course) do you then need a booster of some description or will the receiver run a speaker directly?  My guess is you need the booster to 'drive' the speaker?  Electronics are not my strong point!  🤪

JP - personally do you use a B&Z/speaker arrangement with the 6000 or just plug in wired headphones?  The B&Z to give extra volume seems redundant as the 6000 has plenty of volume?  OR, as with the GPZ, is there some benefit to running audio controls lower on the 6000 to maintain a stable machine and then boost the audio after it has left the detector?  

Cheers, N.E.  

• Like 3

On 4/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, Norvic said:

Those Aventrees that Lunk found are starting to sound like the go, initially I thought you needed to put the ear buds in the ear but not necessarily so apparently MN are they the Avantrees you use with the Equinox?

Yes.  Avantree uses the LL technology more than most others.  I like them but prefer the Minelab with my Nox.

I sent a message to Avantree.  I asked them if they made any sunglasses with speakers and they do not.  I would prefer them over the shoulder/neck speakers as they would be just a bit closer to the ears.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 2:47 AM, alaska detector said:

This may have been answered already, but does the 6000 work with any Bluetooth headset? Let’s say I have a Bose or Sony noise canceling headphones, or even AirPods, would those work with this machine?

I rigged up my GM24K with a Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk headphones/transmitter and it worked pretty well, just a bit kludgy. I’d prefer not to have to install a transmitter, or use specialized headphones if I don’t have to.

Any Bluetooth headset will work but to get the optimal level of low latency you need Bluetooth with the aptX Low Latency codec.

People also need to be aware there is different aptX codecs also. Not all will give the optimal low latency. 

There is also standard aptX, aptX HD, & aptX Adaptive.

Only aptX Low Latency products will connect with the GPX6000 (or Equinox/Vanquish) with lowest available Bluetooth latency. Need to look for aptX-LL on products.

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=7&aptx_type=3

Transmitters/receivers:

https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=8&aptx_type=3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Northeast said:

If using a Bluetooth receiver of some description (APTX Low Latency of course) do you then need a booster of some description or will the receiver run a speaker directly?  My guess is you need the booster to 'drive' the speaker?  Electronics are not my strong point!  🤪

JP - personally do you use a B&Z/speaker arrangement with the 6000 or just plug in wired headphones?  The B&Z to give extra volume seems redundant as the 6000 has plenty of volume?  OR, as with the GPZ, is there some benefit to running audio controls lower on the 6000 to maintain a stable machine and then boost the audio after it has left the detector?  

Cheers, N.E.  

I use both depending on the weather, during testing I used wired headphones a lot for continuity when making calls on audio ect (full BT operation did not happen till much later in the build/development cycle), but personally prefer a speaker for our climate. 

I now use the Avantree Rx APTX BT unit just like a WM12 dongle, they come supplied with a lead with a 3.5 mm plug each end and I just add a 6.35 mm adapter to go to the booster input socket. Currently I’ve just been putting the booster in my shirt pocket along with the BT Rx unit and then out to a single GME speaker in my other pocket or clipped to the cross over chest strap if I’m wearing my camelback. IMHO there is really no need for two speakers, the audio on the 6000 is pretty powerful as is so a single speaker in the middle of your chest is more than sufficient.

There is a blend of volume required to get the audio sounding nice and crisp, usually this requires the 6000 volume to be about 2 or 3 then adjust the booster volume to a level where you can easily hear the threshold, I then run the coil over a small surface target and confirm its not overloading and back off a touch from there if required. This method also works really well with Zero threshold when in the Auto+ mode. I tend to use Steves insane settings methodology when using Auto+ with Zero threshold and crank the volumes to bang on the tiniest of bits, the threshold breaks pretty regularly and becomes a pseudo threshold but wow does it smash those tiny targets, a really brilliant method in saturable twitchy ground that unsettles the 6000. You need to keep on the Quick-Trak button often in this mode, balancing regularly, an OCD approach to forcing the GB is highly recommended. 😝 

Note: DO NOT USE the Tx module anywhere near the control box of the 6000, insanity will result through the cursed EMI!!

JP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1