Help With ID Of Old Silver

I found this coin years ago in an old park in NY. It is just a bit larger than a dime and just a bit smaller than a penny. It is silver... any ideas? Thanks Bob 

oldcoin1.jpeg

oldcoin1a.jpeg

oldcoin1aa.jpeg

oldcoin1aaa.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, okara gold said:

I found this coin years ago in an old park in NY. It is just a bit larger than a dime and just a bit smaller than a penny. It is silver... any ideas? Thanks Bob 

oldcoin1.jpeg

oldcoin1a.jpeg

oldcoin1aa.jpeg

oldcoin1aaa.jpeg

William 1 silver penny from 1066-87:

https://anglosaxoncoins.homestead.com/William1and11.html

Worth a few bucks if it's real.

My guess is a Saint Benedict medal. Maybe an older one. They were made in and around 1740

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I cant believe you found it so fast! It certainly looks like the William 1 silver penny. The 10th picture in the link you sent is dead on. Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

If that's the accurate ID, then .... must be a souvenir pocket piece modern loss.   I doubt it's a period piece.

Hey, a guy in Monterey, CA , during an old-town demolition scrape project, found a Roman coin that he got dated to something like 100 AD.   He assumed it was probably brought back to the USA, as a souvenir, by a returning soldier.   Believe it or not, coin-collecting (and the habit of picking up souvenirs) is not a new trait.   People have gathered nostalgic nicknacks, since time immortal.  As as odd as it sounds, it's possible that they then get lost at some fumblefingers location somewhere else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, okara gold said:

I cant believe you found it so fast! It certainly looks like the William 1 silver penny. The 10th picture in the link you sent is dead on. Thanks! 

11th picture is what I should have typed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, okara gold said:

Reverse image search. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it produces bupkus. 🤪

You posted a great photo so you got great results! I've used it a few times to identify stuff. Google Lens. Runs out of the Google app on my phone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Reverse image search. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it produces bupkus. 🤪

You posted a great photo so you got great results! I've used it a few times to identify stuff. Google Lens. Runs out of the Google app on my phone.

I just tried the google lens and after a couple of attempts it worked great. Better on the reverse side.  I guess my next step is to get it authenticated. It's been thrown in a box with other finds of mine. Found it back in the late 70's early 80's. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

If that's the accurate ID, then .... must be a souvenir pocket piece modern loss.   I doubt it's a period piece.

Hey, a guy in Monterey, CA , during an old-town demolition scrape project, found a Roman coin that he got dated to something like 100 AD.   He assumed it was probably brought back to the USA, as a souvenir, by a returning soldier.   Believe it or not, coin-collecting (and the habit of picking up souvenirs) is not a new trait.   People have gathered nostalgic nicknacks, since time immortal.  As as odd as it sounds, it's possible that they then get lost at some fumblefingers location somewhere else.

That is my thought as well on it, Tom. I can only hope it is real, but it would take a museum assay to prove it. However, Okara found it it in NY, anything is possible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, okara gold said:

I just tried the google lens and after a couple of attempts it worked great. Better on the reverse side.  I guess my next step is to get it authenticated. It's been thrown in a box with other finds of mine. Found it back in the late 70's early 80's. 

Be careful, my only advice. 🙂 They seem to auction for upwards of $1,000, so if it's real you just paid for something! Best of luck to ya.

• Like 1