Help With ID Of Old Silver

3 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

If that's the accurate ID, then .... must be a souvenir pocket piece modern loss.   I doubt it's a period piece.

Can you just clarify what the difference between the above pieces? Is the souvenir pocket piece a replica versus the "authentic" period piece? Thanks

1 minute ago, okara gold said:

Can you just clarify what the difference between the above pieces? Is the souvenir pocket piece a replica versus the "authentic" period piece? Thanks

That would be @Tom_in_CA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Againstmywill said:

I wonder if the price circled is what it sold for. If so, Google converts the amount to over $4,000 US. Have you tried weighing it yet?

Screenshot_20210429-200201.jpg

I just weighed it...3.1 grams. Doesn't sound too authentic if all those shown are only 1.3 to 1.4g.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, okara gold said:

I just weighed it...3.1 grams. Doesn't sound too authentic if all those shown are only 1.3 to 1.4g.

Not a good sign, but minting wasn't as controlled 1000 years ago.  Still you wouldn't expect a factor of 2.  A specific gravity test might add more evidence but those take some intricate fiddling (making a sling out of monofilament thread, requiring a scale accurate to 1 mg, etc.)  The fact that the auction result explicitly states a weight makes me think that is used to distinguish authentic examples from reproductions.

Did you notice if the edge had any signs of it having come out of a mold?  I have a similar item (much larger) that I found which has that feature.  I concuded it wasn't authentic based upon that and a few other pieces of evidence.  (I can take a picture of mine and post it here.  Don't want to hijack your thread, though.  🙂)

Hopefully some of the British and European readers/posters here see this and will comment.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did you notice if the edge had any signs of it having come out of a mold?  I have a similar item (much larger) that I found which has that feature.  I concuded it wasn't authentic based upon that and a few other pieces of evidence.  (I can take a picture of mine and post it here.  

I'd like to see the edge you are talking about. Are theses coins supposed to be hammered? I've never seen the edge of one of those either. Thanks Bob K

3 hours ago, okara gold said:

I'd like to see the edge you are talking about.

Here goes:

coin-repro1.thumb.JPG.b655164c86d9885bd4f3f0265d1d3494.JPG

coin-repro2.thumb.JPG.334129024486ccccd03195a8047ac1cc.JPG

coin-repro_edge.thumb.JPG.eb6d342117a798d7d2dff0b729c1cb9c.JPG

The third picture shows a line of metal centered along the edge.  I interpret this to be a result of metal being poured between two mold halves (obverse and reverse).  I doubt that is how an authentic coin is made nor do I expect an authentic coin to have such a feature, regardless of how it occurred.  I could be (very) wrong in my hyphothesis, though.

A couple more pieces of info/evidence about my coin:

1) I found it in a school yard.  (Always at least a yellow flag.  Game token?)

2) Its dTID on the Eqx was around 33, and I was hoping for a half dollar.  BTW, that's about its size.  I should have included something to show scale.

3) Its nice condition makes me suspcious.  Would a multi-century old coin look this good?  Short of speculating that it has Viking origin, dropped by early visitors to North America or by native Americans who traded with them, it likely wasn't in the ground where I found it for very long.  But it still had to survive centuries if it's original.  That doesn't rule it out as being authentic -- it could have sat in a drawer or other safe place for a long time.  But Occam's Razor is being sharpened.

BTW, if someone wants to run this through that reverse imaging software, I wouldn't mind....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, okara gold said:

If the original coin weight is 1.3 to 1.4g ,and yours 3.1g , then yours is very probably a fake coin. The hammered medieval coins are very thin it is an easy way to recognize them ...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here goes:

coin-repro1.thumb.JPG.b655164c86d9885bd4f3f0265d1d3494.JPG

coin-repro2.thumb.JPG.334129024486ccccd03195a8047ac1cc.JPG

BTW, if someone wants to run this through that reverse imaging software, I wouldn't mind....

Hey GB, 

It's coming up as a 1500s 8 reale cob, but I didn't see anything exactly the same on BOTH sides. There are lots of fakes out there, Atocha wreck and such. I think I bought one when I was in Key West. 😀 

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=214138

• Like 1