Second Day In The River, Odd Relics, Coins

Nothing special today but still productive. I'm thinking the steamboat unloaded passengers on one side (the high pilings), and cargo on the other (ramp).20210429_122434.thumb.jpg.8627e654216133e7905a096faebcf5ec.jpg

Hacked around the "passenger" side but didn't go too far out. The sand got kinda loose, and once gave way. There was a 26 ID object in the pilings, dug out out with my pinpointer and trusty composite shovel, when I got it out it ID'd a 31, it's on the left in the trash photo:20210429_130003.thumb.jpg.f7f63160200677e0b59f2e195974e542.jpg

It's just some sort of aggregate rock, haven't done anything with it yet. The license plate was a 36, again I thought I'd hit the jackpot. 😵 Even the Comet can lid was a solid 22 😀

The finds:20210429_173215.thumb.jpg.678977e454f99a10dbea28f40572e0d9.jpg

Odd brass object, some kinda strainer or lamp thing? Here's the back:20210429_173453.thumb.jpg.8d79d852ec46baa4a81f42ca6ac14277.jpg

1892 IHP, it was totally encrusted, but carefully peeling away the black brought forth what was left. Unidentifiable wheat penny, no date. Came out as is. IHP was a 19/20, wheat was a 21/22.

There is a small area all these coins are all coming from, I'll keep hitting it. I think it may be where people were swimming. Might rake or dig it down a bit to see if there are any silvers there. 

• Like 9

A place on the river like that will have a little of everything from years of use, including some nice surprises . One you will not like is quicksand. Be mindful of soft ground underfoot. I know from experience. Check for targets a bit down stream also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JCR said:

A place on the river like that will have a little of everything from years of use, including some nice surprises . One you will not like is quicksand. Be mindful of soft ground underfoot. I know from experience. Check for targets a bit down stream also.

Thanks. Some places I stand I start to sink in, and yes others immediately go down to about 6" when I test them with one foot. Glad I have the long scoop handle, and I keep moving.

This is much more difficult than farm or beach hunting. I think I should always wear waders or some kind of steel shank boot. There is a lot of glass and metal in the area.

• Like 1

That odd thing is part a lantern where the wick comes out. My reasoning for calling it a lantern is I don’t see the metal arms that come up to hold a glass that a lamp has .

Chuck 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That soft mud is a problem, reminds me of the river I hit here and unless there is some recent erosion from a heavy rain the stuff sits deep. Couple issues I have here is the soft mud often has a ton of new debris layers like leaves and more often than not has aluminum mixed it.

If there are any bends to the river try poking around the lead side of the inside of the bank. You should see some stones and even hit gravel at some point. The gravel bed is probably where stuff will settle down to.

Much of the low lying areas on the river here have bog iron so your depth from the machine will go from easy 10-12 to 2-4. If you see bog iron which usually looks like a rusty algae looking layer, switch to all metal mode and just listen for anything then give the area a scrape or light scoop and the target should start to reveal itself. Good to have iron audio on in those parts to keep track what is going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kac said:

That soft mud is a problem, reminds me of the river I hit here and unless there is some recent erosion from a heavy rain the stuff sits deep. Couple issues I have here is the soft mud often has a ton of new debris layers like leaves and more often than not has aluminum mixed it.

If there are any bends to the river try poking around the lead side of the inside of the bank. You should see some stones and even hit gravel at some point. The gravel bed is probably where stuff will settle down to.

Much of the low lying areas on the river here have bog iron so your depth from the machine will go from easy 10-12 to 2-4. If you see bog iron which usually looks like a rusty algae looking layer, switch to all metal mode and just listen for anything then give the area a scrape or light scoop and the target should start to reveal itself. Good to have iron audio on in those parts to keep track what is going on.

I've been thinking of asking about just that, thanks. I want to get the most depth I can as I know heavier coins are out there.

I always run the detector in all metal, I had sensitivity at 22, Beach 2 for the salt and black muck that makes my carrot unusable, although it does work in some places. Should I go higher?

Beach 2 is totally quiet, no interference or stray tones as high as 24 sensitivity. 

I almost wish there was some gravel, there are virtually no stones anywhere in the river here. It would make for more stable footing.

• Like 2

You have a great spot to hunt. Unfortunate for the soft sand. Don't step in any quick sand.

A scoop can come in very helpful. I was hunting in a lake and one spot had a big hole. One time I stepped into it by mistake. I used my scoop to help pull me across it and I didn't go under.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen some other posts regarding running the Equinox underwater. I'll stick my neck out and say that I've read that I should be using tracking ground balance.

Can the Equinox be ground balanced in situ, in the water? Seemed to work but I'm afraid to tweak too much from default.

Or, should I just switch to tracking? I'd like to get as much depth as I can, I'm sure there are heavier coins deep in the silt.

There is another thread that had a lot of useful recommendations regarding beach hunting, but this isn't a beach 😀 there is enough of something to render my Garrett Carrot unusable for the most part, I was successful in finding and extracting a target from a piling but everywhere else it goes nuts when I simply touch it to the water.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

You have a great spot to hunt. Unfortunate for the soft sand. Don't step in any quick sand.

A scoop can come in very helpful. I was hunting in a lake and one spot had a big hole. One time I stepped into it by mistake. I used my scoop to help pull me across it and I didn't go under.

Long handle is a great tool, I built mine similar to a popular YouTube bunch that does a lot of river hunting north of me. I need to remember to bring my sling for the detector so I can use two hands on the scoop. 😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

There was a 26 ID object in the pilings, dug out out with my pinpointer and trusty composite shovel, when I got it out it ID'd a 31, it's on the left in the trash photo... It's just some sort of aggregate rock, haven't done anything with it yet.

Something that size with a dTID of 31 on the Equinox is not likely a rock.  I posted something similar here a month or so ago that turned out to be aluminum.  Yours appears too small to be aluminum with such a high dTID.  Silver?  A careful specfic gravity test will shed some light.

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

1892 IHP, it was totally encrusted, but carefully peeling away the black brought forth what was left. Unidentifiable wheat penny, no date. Came out as is. IHP was a 19/20, wheat was a 21/22.

Thanks for posting your dTID's.  Those numbers are consistent with my similar finds.  I'm still wanting to do more testing of dated but non-detector-finds pennies to see if I can find a pattern in the variation of the dTID's.

BTW, maybe you've said this but have you searched the shore there by that pier?  If it was a swimming and/or fishing spot there might well be some good finds where it's dry and not so dangerous.  Further, the corrosion probably won't be as bad  where items have been kept dry.  But maybe that area is too overgrown right now...?

• Like 1