Backcountry Navigator

Hey all you mapping people--- i am having a hard time with my Back Country Navigator PRO Application (BN)---- I can't seem to find the layers i want such as- downloading the areas i am interested in with Public Land Survey System (PLSS)  overlay????

What I expect a mapping program to be able to do is change layers -----

Like (Clay Diggings) Footprints -----or (Geocommunicator or whats left of it) LR2000---

I would like to see a program that has a library that holds all pertinent layers that prospectors would  readily use accessible with a click, (this would be customizable by the individual ---- mines, adits, gravel pits, lode claims, placer claims, sections 1/4 section, roads, trails, lakes , creeks, intermittent wet areas, creek channels, old creek channels, benches, etc...

Is it just me or is Google Earth becoming more user friendly for prospectors than BN (Back Country Navigator PRO)---

Maybe i need to spend more time with FP's  (Footprints) ...and better learn the layers they have available---

And on the other hand i could just use the tracker I put in SS's (Sourdough Scott's)  FIC (Fried Ice Cream) at (LDH) Los Dos Hermanos...

carry on....

Edited for my pal Merton ..... ;)

• Like 2

Paul, your extensive use of acronyms has left me feeling as if I am navigating in a dense fog. Sorry I can not be of help. You know how it always makes my day if I can school you on ANY topic. LOL  Hopefully one of our high tech wizards that frequent these environs will endow you with the knowledge you desire.

• Like 1

We have a man of science on mapping who frequents this site Paul. I'm sure he'll give you some good advice when he sees your post.

A lot of folks on here have much more experience with the new mapping hard and software than myself.

I'll be interested in the feedback as well.

Good luck,

Mike

You can install Google Earth on your phone too.

I don't think anyone offers claims layers as a map layer though. You could make it yourself but its a lot of work and you have to keep it updated. I'm not sure if Land Matters would be willing to provide a WMS access point to their claims maps or something like a KMZ file to download them, otherwise a guy would have to make them his self if not since the BLM does not provide them either.

It takes some work to do and is not for a computer novice. I wrote a script to automate it 4 years ago when I created Virtual Prospector but then I stopped doing anything with it after Google deprecated their Earth Web Plugin, living in the field with nothing but phone internet and a 6 year old laptop precluded it. Maybe sometime in the future I can provide a KMZ for people to download and use if someone else doesn't do it by then since I need to do it for myself anyways.

PLSS data is available as a WMS link from the BLM, but I can't remember offhand if in BCN you can use WMS layers or you have to create your own map layer out of them.

The mines layer that those old pay programs used were usually directly from the USGS MRDS database and is free online.

Things like creek channels, etc are all available from the gov for free too, you just have to search. Topo maps are better though IMO and there are free topo layers.

I think for Google Earth one of the most useful is the real time NOAA snowpack map, for us guys that live where such things are a factor at least. No need to guess if you spot has snow or spend 4 hours driving to see if it's melted off yet!

• Like 1

Barry,

Can I get my Footprints over to my new tablet?? I have a dual OS on it... Android and Windows 10---- so I was hoping i could use it more effectively in the field, but i haven't tried to download FP on my tablet yet...maybe i will do that this evening...

Thanks,

paul

On 1/26/2016 at 0:30 PM, vanursepaul said:

Barry,

Can I get my Footprints over to my new tablet?? I have a dual OS on it... Android and Windows 10---- so I was hoping i could use it more effectively in the field, but i haven't tried to download FP on my tablet yet...maybe i will do that this evening...

Thanks,

paul

I doubt your FootPrints will run there Prickly. The OS for Windows 10 on Android is Windows Mobile. We've got a lot of FootPrints users on Windows 10 for PC but the Android Mobile version is only related to the other Windows in appearance.

The Android runs on ARM architecture not on Intel like Windows computers. FootPrints doesn't have a bit of Java or Cordova in it so it's kind of like trying to mate a donkey with a pigeon. The donkey may be smart enough and the Pigeon may be willing but the result is unlikely to be anything you would want to clean up after.

If you do decide to try the install I want pictures. Never seen a donkeyette with a beak and feathers.

Barry

I don't like the limits to my bcn on my phone either Paul. I think land matters, minecache and a website called the diggings are the only ones with mining claim info. There is a website called onxmaps that I think offers many layers. I know they have one layer that shows land ownership for all 50 states. And they update it often. I guess you can purchase it for pc or mobile device.

Good luck

• Like 1

My tablet says Windows 10-PC.....

But I don't know any more than that..

I will keep trying..

I guess what i was asking for is mainly already in format on Landmatters---i went to the site and downloaded NV maps, geology maps, claIM MAPS, PLSS overlay..... so i am happy----

Now i am going to figure out how to save that date and still be able to use layers while in the field..(Barry???)