River Hunt 3 - Coins, Relics, Surprise

Very nice. I like that plate. Could have been hit hard before. Usually if your finding nickels and pennies and not even a dime then someones picked it before ya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kac said:

Very nice. I like that plate. Could have been hit hard before. Usually if your finding nickels and pennies and not even a dime then someones picked it before ya.

Kinda sad to think about, but probably true. 😕 I'll have to find out how deep the silt and sand go. Haven't dug more than a foot for anything yet, most stuff shows up in the first 8".

29 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

This morning was as windy as yesterday, 30 mph with gusts to 45. It was supposed to settle down and stay kinda cool, so I decided to jump in the waders and hit the river.

Never saw so much beach before! The tide was way out. I knew low tide was after 12 further down the river so going a couple hours earlier would do.20210501_111110.thumb.jpg.d0e85f28f98ef17a6444b370d5ac0f36.jpg

Even the old V8 engine block was out of the water today.20210501_115336.thumb.jpg.c3b569c5dad87e8b5b36d987a5a7a761.jpg

In 5 hours I did pretty good. Got some trash but nothing too trifling, a couple of pull tabs and a beer can or two, some fishing tackle, shotgun shells and some odd bits of lead.20210501_200122.thumb.jpg.6d79d59e1255b757ec37c42a07c0e9dc.jpg

Bronze bead or roller of some sort, it is not hollow. Nice fancy rivet with a sun pattern, even the shank is patterned. Thin brass device holder of some sort, looks like it had an insert, either stone or cloisonne. Not sure what the copper circular object is but it is thick, heavy and appears to have snapped off something.

1918 Buffalo nickel, undated Buffalo, wheat and IHP with no dates. I had to break them out of their encrustation. The Buffalos were 9/10, the pennies both 14.

And the find of the day, I was surprised:20210501_195508.thumb.jpg.0b249edbdf40c6bccacabf6fa1960050.jpg

Solid brass Brown Bess musket buttplate with engraving. At first I thought it was for an Enfield but it's too big. Dates from mid 1700s to mid 1800s.

Either this place was hit hard for silver or I need a PI detector. 😀 Nickels and pennies are everywhere, there's gotta be some silver coins here.

Talk about cool finds!   I like the buttplate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great finds with a lot of history.

Good luck on your next outing.

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Kinda sad to think about, but probably true. 😕 I'll have to find out how deep the silt and sand go. Haven't dug more than a foot for anything yet, most stuff shows up in the first 8".

Great finds.  Always nice to see old gun parts. Silver seems to hide well sometimes. Interested to know if you were going rather slow and did you ever try digging very iffy, repeatable signals. Sometimes the deep stuff does not come in as a solid hit and a lot of times if it's on the fringe of what the machines can do, it may read as iron. I would dig any tight, small signal for a while and see what turns up.  The ground conditions there may limit you to 8" for solid sounding signals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great finds.  Always nice to see old gun parts. Silver seems to hide well sometimes. Interested to know if you were going rather slow and did you ever try digging very iffy, repeatable signals. Sometimes the deep stuff does not come in as a solid hit and a lot of times if it's on the fringe of what the machines can do, it may read as iron. I would dig any tight, small signal for a while and see what turns up.  The ground conditions there may limit you to 8" for solid sounding signals.

Didn't dig too much that was iffy, of you mean tone but no id. Tried one but found nothing. I pretty much avoided iron this time, did chase a 32 from under a piling that turned out to be a big hunk of lead. Had to use the composite trowel. I was going slow and covering areas that my foot prints weren't on.

Learned a lesson from my grid searching, If I want to find stuff in the future I shouldn't do that 🤪

• Like 1

Great finds!  Doesn't sound like a P.I. will do you much good with all that iron there.  It will probably just drive you crazy.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Didn't dig too much that was iffy, of you mean tone but no id. Tried one but found nothing. I pretty much avoided iron this time, did chase a 32 from under a piling that turned out to be a big hunk of lead. Had to use the composite trowel. I was going slow and covering areas that my foot prints weren't on.

Learned a lesson from my grid searching, If I want to find stuff in the future I shouldn't do that 🤪

Yes, actually anything that repeats (mostly) and has some positive numbers flash. Also it has to show that it's deeper than 6" Really anything that is odd sounding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Yes, actually anything that repeats (mostly) and has some positive numbers flash. Also it has to show that it's deeper than 6" Really anything that is odd sounding.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try em. Also going to dig iron near where I found the buttplate, might find the action and barrel.

• Like 1