River Hunt 3 - Coins, Relics, Surprise

On 5/2/2021 at 7:23 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

Great finds.  Always nice to see old gun parts. Silver seems to hide well sometimes. Interested to know if you were going rather slow and did you ever try digging very iffy, repeatable signals. Sometimes the deep stuff does not come in as a solid hit and a lot of times if it's on the fringe of what the machines can do, it may read as iron. I would dig any tight, small signal for a while and see what turns up.  The ground conditions there may limit you to 8" for solid sounding signals.

I agree on all, Kool targets and spot! Looks like a lot of history...

And I Love what Schoolofhardnoxs said on the deep stuff. Digging one ways, iffy faints and targets that null or jumping ID can be prime targets. ..  

On 5/1/2021 at 9:14 PM, F350Platinum said:

Even the old V8 engine block was out of the water today.

I love sunken markers, Gives me a gauge on where I am at and the water level.

Tides were low up in the northern part of the Bay also, so we must not be to far a part, Since I am not hunting yet someone send me a "Look what you missed picture" :sad: Low here was 3pm..Neg 1 foot.

180412791_2996917230543731_2071599799112675243_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I agree on all, Kool targets and spot! Looks like a lot of history...

And I Love what Schoolofhardnoxs said on the deep stuff. Digging one ways, iffy faints and targets that null or jumping ID can be prime targets. ..  

I love sunken markers, Gives me a gauge on where I am at and the water level.

Tides were low up in the northern part of the Bay also, so we must not be to far a part, Since I am not hunting yet someone send me a "Look what you missed picture" :sad: Low here was 3pm..Neg 1 foot.

180412791_2996917230543731_2071599799112675243_n.jpg

Thanks Joe.

We're definitely not too far apart if you have a boat! I have to laugh when someone tells me on the phone, "your nearest branch is in California Maryland" 😀 it would be almost a 3 hour drive unless I can cross the Potomac in a boat and get a cab. 

I'm way up one of the rivers here, the area was settled in the 1600s by folks that left Maryland under Lord Baltimore.

The engraving on the flintlock buttplate tells me it was a "trade" Brown Bess, not military. I'm going to go back to that spot and dig iron to see if I can get any other parts, but iron doesn't do well here, nor does copper. That buttplate had been in the river for over 200 years though!

It was too dangerous to go out today, a tornado tore up a neighborhood not too far away.

• Like 2