21 hours ago, dogodog said:

...This was no ordinary 1832 this has an over stamp with a cross and the initials FZ. It seems that it was stamped early in its life.

Katherine Jeager's A Guide Book of United States Tokens and Medals has a section titled Tooled and Altered Coins with several (short) chapters and different variations.  I think yours is classifed Countermarked Coin.

You've obviously found a good detecting spot.  I hope you get more time there before the fences go up and bulldozers take over.  The Barber Quarter doesn't qualify as a semi-key but seems to carry a bit extra value compared to others with similar mintage.  Your Merc wasn't in circulation terribly long -- such a piece of art!

• Like 2

Thanks GB, I can always count on you to give me the coin info. I'll pick up the guide book. I never thought that one was available. My two favorite coins are the merc's and the indian head penny's, they are just works of art. I wish you lived closer I would have you out for a run on some of these places. I wish you the best of luck the next time out!!!!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By F350Platinum
      Went out for a couple of hours this morning. I find that the 2nd day after a big rain (we got 8"+ in two days) is better than the day after. It was a nice day, pretty cool and the deer flies are finally on the decline. I loaded up with Cutter and headed out to the steamboat landing, I have been mowing small portions of it for access to the river and to hunt the dirt as well. Can't do the whole thing, it's quite a few acres.
      I cleared this ~30x40' space that I think was where a small building was, there is brick and lots of iron. It's a challenge to find anything so I went for deep iffy signals that were for the most part repeatable.

I wasn't disappointed, great conduction today. Got the usual junk:
      Lamp parts, what might be gun parts, and shotgun shell ends. A couple nails. The round disc appears to be the back of a wristwatch, there are no markings.
      Dug a couple of wheats, a 1918 and one with no discernible date. The latter was 8" down under a root. Some chrome plated object, probably recent.
      The buckles were the most interesting things, first is a suspender buckle similar to one Chase found here, with a patent date:
      Second is what I think is from the 1700s, not sure whether it is for a shoe or knee:
      Unfortunately the rounded plate is twisted, I don't dare try to fix it.
      Last is another of the clip type buckles, this makes #3 and is the most spectacular of them all. I have the other half. This one is the most ornate:
      Got new headphones I'm going to try out there tomorrow.
    • By Kelpike
      I've been hunting the yard of a house we have been working on for a few weeks. The house is the first or second house built in that town and has some decent history. So far I have only found 3 old horseshoes, a completely shot rusted pocket watch, a few pieces of lead pipe, a few newer coins, many rusted cans, and a ton of rusted chunks of steel. I was about to leave the job today and decided to search for a half hour or so. I was about to leave and decided to dig another signal that sounded decent. It ended up being an Indian Head Penny. I was pretty excited to finally find an old coin on that property. After rechecking the hole I ended up finding 8 more IHP in a space about the size of a table place mat. I searched all around that area and found on more less than two feet away from the first hole. They are in pretty rough shape. After only rinsing under the faucet, the top 2 show dates of 1891 and 1883. The bottom 2 are unrecognizable. Hopefully with some cleaning I can get a few more dates off of them. 

• By CVISChris
      Found these today up stream from my normal digs.  Look like game pieces too me.  
      They are stamped on both sides.   

• By Rick N. MI
      I was hoping it was piece of a meteorite but it isn't. 
      I was using the Equinox 800 and this piece hit hard. It is very light. It's not magnetic. The ID is 1. Could it be a piece of coal?

• By Kris0072000
      can anyone help me in identification?

• By Erik Oostra
      Some folk believe that their prayers are rewarded, others claim that if you ask the Universe for anything it’ll respond.. But when you need a new battery for your Foxy Noxy, these methods don't work anywhere near as good as keeping an eye out on Ebay..
      Since that awful day last month when the battery on my Nox 800 stopped charging I’ve considered many options, including an external power-pack (expensive), soldering the plug-in cable to other lithium batteries (deadly), and to keep on swapping with the battery from my Nox 600 (pain in ass)..
      This afternoon I searched on Ebay and scored two new Equinox batteries for just $50 (plus $10 postage).. That’s a new battery for Foxy Noxy and a spare for the unlikely event I ever need another one! Gotta love them win/win days..