Great Day With An Unusual Coin In The Bag

21 hours ago, dogodog said:

...This was no ordinary 1832 this has an over stamp with a cross and the initials FZ. It seems that it was stamped early in its life.

Katherine Jeager's A Guide Book of United States Tokens and Medals has a section titled Tooled and Altered Coins with several (short) chapters and different variations.  I think yours is classifed Countermarked Coin.

You've obviously found a good detecting spot.  I hope you get more time there before the fences go up and bulldozers take over.  The Barber Quarter doesn't qualify as a semi-key but seems to carry a bit extra value compared to others with similar mintage.  Your Merc wasn't in circulation terribly long -- such a piece of art!

• Like 2

Thanks GB, I can always count on you to give me the coin info. I'll pick up the guide book. I never thought that one was available. My two favorite coins are the merc's and the indian head penny's, they are just works of art. I wish you lived closer I would have you out for a run on some of these places. I wish you the best of luck the next time out!!!!

• Like 2