Equinox Dive Configuration?

Airtimesa --

For what it's worth, I've built one-piece carbon-fiber dive shafts for folks before, so if your idea proves to be a bit too long, I can hook you up with a one-piece carbon-fiber one, built to whatever length you prefer...

(or, it could be a two-piece with a short upper and very short lower, just enough to allow a small amount -- a few inches or whatever -- of adjustability in terms of length...)

I can do whatever you like -- as I'm always happy to do custom builds...

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 5

I have tried that configuration for diving and it worked pretty well. Admittedly, I am new to the diving + detecting combination so I have nothing to compare it to. But the length was manageable. 

Thanks Steveg and GKman! I'm going to test it in this config. It's a little longer than what I expected, but I think it should work. 

Steveg, special thanks for your help. For the moment I'm going just to test it, because I own an Excal, but if I feel that the Nox is better than Excal underwater, I might ask you for help. 

Thanks! 

My only comment is that the Nox appears to be built merely to survive in the event it gets temporarily intentionally or unintentionally submerged.  It does not appear to be robustly designed for the combined hydrodynamic forces AND static pressure head forces that would occur if it is used even in chest deep water.  Certainly not designed even for dive work at the “rated” submergence depth.  I would really take that 3 meter submergence depth rating with a grain of salt.  People have reported water intrusion failures on initial water submersion, during bathtub proof testing, and even while rinsing off the Nox using a beach shower.  Diving with the Nox is really pushing your luck even though ML is likely to cover the repair under warranty.

• Like 5

Airtemisa -- sounds good, thanks!

Just FYI, I could build you a dive shaft for your Excal, as well; particularly if you hip-mount the Excal, a custom dive shaft would be easily do-able, for an Excal.  My guess is that you already have a dive shaft for it, but just thought I'd toss that out there...

Thanks!

Steve

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 2:17 PM, Airtemisa said:

Hi, does anyone tried this config for diving with the Nox?

Is just the original stem only with the lower part of the rod. Is a little bit long, but I think it should work! 

PXL_20210502_183830008.jpg

For what it is worth. The Equinox is not sold as a dive machine. With all the failures is barely a wading machine. 

Finally 3 days diving with the Nox with the config I'm posting now, maximum depth 3 meters. 

LS Pelso headphones, 6 inch coil, 2 tones config... lot of fun, and good findings. 

Equinox 800 is the most versatile detector to the date. It's incredible. 3 years with it and seems to be everlasting. 

IMG_20210718_124948.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Equinox Dive Configuration?