Modified My Apex Pick

Nice wings! 

When my pick point wore out I cold cut a Cat D4 grouser plate to shape, cut the old blunt tip off and stick welded the replacement on using low hydrogen rods. Note the chevron shaped cut for maximum strength. 

That was some years ago and the point still remains sharp many hundreds of holes later  :)

5LDJaPe.jpg

• Like 5

I use a small pick most of the time. I do not have access to welding equipment but when my pick got too short I went to a car muffler shop and got the guy to tig weld a a small handy man jackhammer changeable tip to my pick. It was a great mod. I noted that a super magnet is attached to the pick. I moldered some epoxy putty around the magnet so no edges  are on the back of the pick which allows me to remove all steel and hot rocks with one swipe of the hand. 

• Like 3

There’s some serious Aussie digging tools if you need a deep hole just check and see what’s being used there, seems lately most of my targets are 5” down or shallow surface trash the reason I quit carrying the large apex most of the time. I’ll have to remember that Chevron weld technique, 👍.

1 hour ago, Swegin said:

I think you need a bigger magnet. LOL   Nice job on the wings.

it gets serious if I walk to close to my Jeep, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1