Out detecting with mates and took the opportunity to have a play with the new GPX 6000, and matched it against the older GPX 5000. Not a like for like comparison as the 5000 had a 12 x 8" Evo coil on it, but the results were interesting anyway....

A bit of a 'non-scientific' test of the two machines, to see how the new GPX 6000 performs. Done using two small nuggets and a sliding rod.. bit of fun!

• Like 1
  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to Video GPX 5000 Vs GPX 6000 Vs GPZ 7000

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Out detecting with mates and took the opportunity to have a play with the new GPX 6000, and matched it against the older GPX 5000. Not a like for like comparison as the 5000 had a 12 x 8" Evo coil on it, but the results were interesting anyway....

A bit of a 'non-scientific' test of the two machines, to see how the new GPX 6000 performs. Done using two small nuggets and a sliding rod.. bit of fun!

Amazing thanks for sharing! 

Mike C----- Thinking of keeping the 5000 now

Me too mate!!!!! 🤠

Go the 5000 !!!! 

Time will tell-- i wanna see a 6000 in action right behind me and my 5000 on a real patch with real targets--

I wonder if that nugget ( bullet)  on the other end of the stick  is being picked up?

Anyhooos... thanks for the video mates

cheers

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

I wonder if that nugget ( bullet)  on the other end of the stick  is being picked up?

cheers

I was wondering the same thing :ph34r:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vanursepaul said:

Mike C----- Thinking of keeping the 5000 now

Me too mate!!!!! 🤠

Go the 5000 !!!! 

Time will tell-- i wanna see a 6000 in action right behind me and my 5000 on a real patch with real targets--

Anyhooos... thanks for the video mates

cheers

Paul, believe or not the 5000 was a top machine in its day but is way behind the ball now. The Z knocked it down the 6000 has buried it. You seen the Z come up with the goods, with I suspect the biggest piece in your OZ experience in one of the most flogged patches in FNQ OZ. Believe or not your option but I know. 

• Like 2

I personally don't put any stock into reports like that.

He says they had no experience with the GPX6000 (but still look to discredit it?) & also don't mention any settings on any of the detectors at all. Was it comparing apples to apples? 

In my minimal experience with the GPX6000 I have picked up bits much smaller than 0.6 grams at depths that would meet or exceed 15cm.

Comparing a 21" aftermarket Concentric Coil to a stock 11" mono certainly isn't comparing apples with apples. A better test would have been the NF 12" vs the GPX11 at depth on the 80oz? Maybe a fairer (but still not equal) test for the 21" CC would be when the GPX17 becomes available?

Did they test the GPX6000 over the 0.58 bit found while it was in situ? Probably not.

Hermann's been around long enough to know this.

• Like 4

“Then we stuffed an 80oz lump of gold in a hole on the side of a creek bank, it was 90cm from the surface and the 6000 did not pick it up. My 5000 with a Nexus 21" CC coil picked it up loud & clear.”

Yeah, 11” mono versus 21” concentric. Sorry, I long ago pointed out a 5000 with an extra large coil will hit a large lump deeper. Not only is it to be expected, but so obvious that the statement is idiotic, and completely discredits the post. Or maybe I’m misreading sarcasm.

Not all videos are by people who know what they are doing either. Some of these teach you what not to do. Who can tell the difference? :smile:

I admit it helps to know what the machine actually can do when watching videos. Most people have no idea, whereas people with a lot of hours on the 6000 see what is up with videos in fairly short order.

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Rob Allison
      Hey Guys,
          I figured we can stir the pot just a little while we wait out the release of the Minelab GPX 6000, right?  
      That being said, Minelab still claims the GPZ 7000 can get "up to 40% more depth" over previous GPX detectors.  We can all question, does the GPX 6000 still fit in this category, as Minelab stated GPX detectors.  The upcoming Minelab GPX 6000 is still a GPX series detector, but primarily using GeoSense Technology.  I don't see where GeoSense really talks about any more depth ability over the previous GPX 5000, but it does mention about better ground response/clarity, maybe allowing you to hear something in higher mineralized ground over previous GPX series.  
      I don't claim to be an expert electronic prospector, but my specialty is in detecting for gold nuggets with the best detectors available.  We call all talk about how much gold we found, years of experience, regions we hunted and such ..... 
      The bottom line is I still feel the Minelab GPZ 7000 is the KING of detectors when it comes to depth.  Many Australian, African and US prospecting friends still feel the same.  I personally have found many large gold nuggets and specimens at max depth where I doubt any detector with a similar sized searchcoil would have found.  I also know that probably 1% or less of those large gold nuggets/specimens are out there still and the ones at max depth range of the current detector technology.  
      Does this justify the purchase of a Minelab GPZ 7000 over the upcoming GPX 6000, or should GPZ 7000 owners dump their units now?  These are questions I personally can't advise anyone on, but it's something to consider when you make a purchase of a metal detector in the thousands of dollar range.  
      What I can leave you with is my personal experience over the last 25 years chasing gold nuggets .... If you are in areas where there has been historically large gold nuggets, overburden to bedrock/paylayer/caliche/false bedrock that can be several feet and deeper in depth, you might seriously consider either holding your current GPZ 7000 or consider a purchase of one at some point.  
      I personally will not be parting with my trusty GPZ 7000, we have a 5+ year personal relationship.  We have been through tough times, bad weather, I even yelled at her and dropped her a few times!  Like Steve mentioned before, you could actually fall in love with your detector. 
      Wishing you all much success with whatever detector(s) you swing. 
      P.S.  Below is a recent GPZ 7000 find, max depth, just a break in the threshold (yes the GPZ 7000 has one). Nearly a pound in weight (uncleaned in picture) 
      Rob 

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I've read a few posts from those who have both and their input is pretty much what I expected.
      Having fun (especially with others) is the majority of why I enjoy detecting.  Only a select few actually do it for a living and do well.  The rest of us (me included), enjoy the hunt, adventures, comradery with like minded friends, and getting some gold on occasion. It's looking like the GPX-6000 is getting the majority of gold better than the GPZ-7000.  So, is the extra weight worth the rare occasional big nugget?  Lets go a step farther.  Say the ZED hits a 4 ounce nugget at 34".  Will the 6000 hit that same nugget at 30", 32" 33" or 34".  Say it's 2" less and only gets the chunk at 32".  It's still near 3' deep which is deeper than most folks enjoy digging and or most other detectors out there.  
      So the reality for most folks, the GPX-6000 at a cost savings of $2000 and over 2 pounds lighter, better ergonomics, no more tethered into a harness, more user friendly, real wireless Bluetooth phones, is the best option for most.
      Like I said in another post.  There should be a convoy of GPZ users heading down the highway to get the new GPX-6000 and having more fun, more gold more often.  I can help make that smile happen.
      Anyone have a point I am missing or totally off, please chime in.
      Pic of the nugget will probably only be a few inches in depth difference between the 6 and 7.  But the majority of us would probably hear if with both machines at 30 or more.

• By Purplehays69
      I totally understand that our Aussie brother's n sisters always get the jumpstart on the newest Minelab gold detector but our wait in the USA is getting totally ridiculous......
    • By Condor
      My personal observations only, quick testing with no appreciable methodology.  Make no conclusions based on my limited time with the machine.
      I had Steve's 6000 for a couple hours this morning.  At sunup I detected up a swale where Jason had found a couple nuggets yesterday.  I gridded a section 6 ft wide and about 25 yds long.  I marked 7 undug targets, 4 definite dig me signals and 3 iffy threshold warbles with the 6000 and 11" coil.  I then covered the same ground with my 7000 and 15x10 Xcoil.  The 7000 had no trouble with any of the 4 dig me targets and found no new targets.  Nothing but Ground and Salt noise over the questionable targets.  I dug the clear targets, first 2 were micro nuggets in the .2 gram range.  Third was a shallow hot rock and the 4th was surface trash.  I ran the 6000 back over the questionable targets and couldn't get anything repeatable.  
      I wish I had known JP's thing about the speaker/EMI because I was noise cancelling often, especially if I set the machine down for any length of time.
      Jason's summary from yesterday sums up our limited joint testing quite well.  My feeling after this limited time is that if I were 5 years younger, I would stick to the 7000 with the array of X-Coils to suit the conditions.  But, I'll turn 67 years young next month and my detecting shoulder has been nagging me for several years.  I have fashioned a hipstick that transfers the detector weight into the frame of an archery fanny pack with shoulder straps.  I thought it was great until I swung the 6000 with 11" coil.  Regrettably, I decided to run the 6000 with the 17" coil with no bungee this morning.  45 minutes and I was done, hence my abbreviated time on the 6000.  I'm  gonna want a bungee for the 14" DD or the 17" coils.  
      N. Nevada at this time of year is tough to hunt.  The weather is great, but the ground has enough moisture to make the salt darn near unbearable in many places.  The 6000 with 11" coil tames it some, but there's no magic absent the DD coil.  Hot rocks are about the same as the 7000, although I found the Auto + with nearly silent threshold chops the tailing edge of a hotrock signal.  You'd still have to dig them, but without enthusiasm.  
      Am I buying one, probably.  But I'm not rich and doubt I can justify $13k worth of detectors.  I'm going to need to make an either or decision.  
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Has Minelab not given dealers a price list yet? What are the accessory prices for the 6K? They are delivering around the world (except the U.S.) so somebody must have accessory pricing. Or it’s out there and I’ve been too busy to find it. A lot of people are not going to buy until after they know the accessory pricing,  and decide it’s acceptable.
    • By Skozzy99
      Still very new to the gpx. I go through the routine of EMI reduction and then GB, but even when absolutely motion less, every 5 seconds I get a warbling sound that lasts for about a second or so. When I start to swing a bit, it still does that warbling at the same interval. This is with the 11 commander DD. I haven’t tried this with the mono yet. I do have a single phase 7200V line about 200’ away. All settings are at factory presets. I have tried adjusting RX gain and stabilizer without success. The only thing that smooths it out is the cancel switch. Is this a common occurrence? I’ve searched 25 pages of Minelab forum pages (here) to root out the answer, but no luck yet.
      Thank you