Makro Gold Racer Tiny Gold Chain Test

Coil choice depends on the type of detecting you plan on doing. If your looking for micro jewelry and bit of coin shooting the stock dd and/or stock concentric should do the trick.  I had looked into a slightly larger coil for relic hunting but still sticking with stock dd here for the most part. Stock dd hits a 2 gram gold pendant at 14" and a silver dime at 10" so no complaints. In the field obviously those numbers are less depending on ground conditions.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:17 PM, Tahoegold said:

Am I missing out by not using AM? Or, am I really doing better in Disc 2 set to 0 on ID filter AND tone break? Or, do I need to experiment to find out. Am I the first to look into this?

If You're in trouble with the audio response of your machine in AM, then try with Disc mode, but with the least effective setting against iron.I don't know properly your machine, but generally, I use zero discrimination with a dedicated tone for iron.This means to Hear It,don't dig It, but not making mute the machine over It too...You might want a clear signal if some iron Is accidentally near the good target, so eliminating the iron cut can help in some way...Hope this is clear in my way to explain It...

• Like 2

All Metal has an advantage where you can hear the variations in the ground yet clearly hear a target and be able to better judge it's size/depth. The VDI on the Gold Racer is really good and will id a 10" clad dime with stock dd in low/moderate ground.

The only time I will switch to a disc mode is when there are just too many targets to follow and my brain can't keep up. Overall in moderate/low trash areas the Gold Racer is a fun small jewelry and coin shooter on top of being a prospecting machine but you can easily get overwhelmed in high trash areas. The discriminator is limited as you can only disc out from a set point and below and audio is limited to 2 tones (flat iron signal and vco) based on audio break. I sometimes set my audio break to or below the disc level and run it as a single vco signal machine if I start getting into trash.

Last bit, being a gold machine you have a wider range of iron 0-40 with iron nails breaking at the 19-low 20's range. This leaves a wide mid range for gold and aluminum 40-70 and only leaving a small range for the rest.

Hunting in high aluminum trash areas can be the big downside to this gold machine and probably true for other machines in it's class is that you really have to pay attention to the signals that aluminum give and their jumpy numbers to identify them vs gold. Can slaw and foil will be the trickiest to identify as they have the most variation.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kac said:

All Metal has an advantage where you can hear the variations in the ground yet clearly hear a target and be able to better judge it's size/depth. The VDI on the Gold Racer is really good and will id a 10" clad dime with stock dd in low/moderate ground.

The only time I will switch to a disc mode is when there are just too many targets to follow and my brain can't keep up. Overall in moderate/low trash areas the Gold Racer is a fun small jewelry and coin shooter on top of being a prospecting machine but you can easily get overwhelmed in high trash areas. The discriminator is limited as you can only disc out from a set point and below and audio is limited to 2 tones (flat iron signal and vco) based on audio break. I sometimes set my audio break to or below the disc level and run it as a single vco signal machine if I start getting into trash.

Last bit, being a gold machine you have a wider range of iron 0-40 with iron nails breaking at the 19-low 20's range. This leaves a wide mid range for gold and aluminum 40-70 and only leaving a small range for the rest.

Hunting in high aluminum trash areas can be the big downside to this gold machine and probably true for other machines in it's class is that you really have to pay attention to the signals that aluminum give and their jumpy numbers to identify them vs gold. Can slaw and foil will be the trickiest to identify as they have the most variation.

OK, This is the best explanation in my mind, of the difference in the AM vs Disc. The ground variation is the big difference. Which helps decide the size and depth. OK, AM is best in areas with low trash. I'll buy that. I used AM a few times and recovered tiny bits of lead in sand, so I know I can use it. 

I know what you mean about Aluminum. It hits well on that. I didn't know about the numbers and the spread for Iron and gold areas. That seems like a good thing to me. Coins are all up in the high numbers. Now I have a much better grasp of this detector. Great info, Thanks!

• Like 1

Took the Gold Racer to a field I hit that has been picked through by a lot of people. Pretty much used all metal until I hit some trashier spots that had a lot of old iron bits and coal. Disc1 with default settings and gain around 90 worked well. Disc 2 I had nearly identical settings except with imask on 0 and id filter on 2.

Got s solid 90 so knew I had something in the silver range and it turned out to be 2 clad silver dollars in the same hole about 4" down. Thinking others skipped it because it could be mistaken for trash like a can etc.

Other was a fairly deep clad quarter bout 8" down, small broken very old locket thinking late 1800 that came in the 50's that was about 8" down and some kiddie bling that looked really good until I saw the rinestones 🙂

Fun coin relic machine in moderate low trash and tough grounds. The imask seems to do well keeping coal bits down. Coal kills me on my Tejon when I hunt deep and always end up diging way down for chunk.

IMG_1520.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice find. You use a good way to go through steps with the GR. I see, all metal has it's place in open non trashy areas. If you're trying to find a place where an old site exists. I found one recently by accident. Just taking a chance and walking through the woods. I didn't use all metal. That would have been the way to go though. Then start bringing more disc and tone break to cherry pick. Etc..

I'm learn about how to do these processes, there is a method. Thanks, good stuff!

However, I'm really surprised at how little disc it takes to knock out micro jewelry. Since I started using the tone break as an audible kind of discrimination, I find tonebreak to be more effective at actually reporting micro jewelry through the trash. The Gold Racer has a hi freq. so it gets to hear the tiny bits. And, with tone break, it gives a way to actually use that hi frequency to ferrit out the good signals. 

I understand now that all metal has it's place in finding anything at first. Or, in the case of gold prospecting, I want to have the whole power of it's capability at use if possible. 

Good to know about how l can work with just a tiny bit of id filter like 1 or 2 and that even makes a difference. Then rely on tone break to identify good targets. This has been very informative. Love my GR, nice learn it's tools and tricks!

• Like 1

Like other machines there is a cross over where one metal type when thin and small enough will be in the range of another, gold can fall in the iron range, thin small copper or brass in the aluminum even thin silver like trimes that fall below ring pulls. The All Metal mode on the Gold Racer is really nice and very dependable compared to the Multi Kruzer that the id's fall off pretty quickly and my Tejon that has a very slow recover speed. Only times I have had trouble running the Gold Racer is in heavy aluminum trash area that have can slaw and very wet dark mineralized soil with high ground phase in the high 80's low 90's where high frequency machines get too noisy and you lose depth to calm it down.

I think if I had a wish list for that machine it would be all metal mode for pin point trigger and a 3 tone option instead of disc 2.

• Like 1

I agree with ya on the wish list. 3 tones would be nice. I'd like to make hot rocks the low tones at about 3, iron the mid at around 20 and high tones for the rest. 

I have the worst conditions that you mentioned. Mineralization at about 82, aluminium wrappers and tiny bits all over. The GR really likes aluminium. But, it sounds of on gold the most. I am amazed how it can really pick it up. If it's electrum, it doesn't pick it up as well. But, the real gold, yes, it does. 

You have a couple of detectors that you are comparing. Those are nice machines. Thanks for the comparisons. The fact that I can set up the recovery speed, is really nice. It really helps smooth out the ground noise. I don't notice that function changing the sensitivity to tiny bits, so I have it at 8 a lot of times in this soil here. Otherwise, I have a wierd kind of delayed echo on all metal. I get a signal, then a brief silence, then a fading signal. The bigger the target the more pronounced the echo. I have used this to find tiny targets. Mayby this is normal on all metal machines. I haven't owned anything else except a compadre.