Makro Gold Racer Tiny Gold Chain Test

13 hours ago, kac said:

I bought my Gold Racer not too long ago and ended up using it for coin/relic hunting in the woods. You can play with the ID filter which trims out targets below from sounding off and tone break to control the iron audio so it can essentially be a 1 or 2 tone machine. Running the Tone break at the same as the ID filter makes it a single tone vco machine. I use disc 2 for that and keep disc 1 as stock for referencing back. Can make cherry picking copper and silver from parks fairly easy.

Recently snagged the concentric coil which puts bottle caps into the 50's and flat iron in general low on the scale. Handy around places that have a lot of bottle caps but unfortunately being just in the 50's you can risk losing small jewelry.

Small thin chains are tough on any machine so skimming the ground is almost a must.

You may want to keep tracking off when using disc modes and ground balance manually more often. I noticed that if you keep the machine just at the brink of being noisy you can hear if ground balance starts to go off. If it chatters it's getting hot and if it gets quiet it's running too cold. Just do a ground grab every once in a while and you should be good to go.

Thanks again KAC!!

This is the thread I've been needing! GREAT info. I have the concentric. I never thought the coil type would change the ID. I have the large coil as well for the beach. I noticed on that coil the quarters show up 5 points higher into the 90s. I didnt think about the concentric. 

So, since the big coil moves the coing numbers higher, I think I need to check all my coils and get familiar with the difference between each.

I read about the tracking. I keep it off in disc. But, changing the tone break to make it single tone is a nice tip. I kept having to check my numbers when I heard a low tone.     

Sometimes all I'm looking for is silver or quarters. So I set it to disc out zinc pennys. It works perfectly on that for coins. Except for the nickles. Single tone would be nice then!

I also have the tiny sniper coil. Now that coil really hits this tiny chain. But, it would be frustrating on the beach. The big coil does hit this chain an inch away, amazingly. So, scrubbing is a must. 

Yes, thanks again. This detector is good for micro hunting AND coins! 

Now I'm thinking about your tip on making a single tone VCO. I prefer the sound in disc over the AM. Would Disc be the same as AM when set to 0? I could put tone break to zero as well and have the perfect solution. I suppose if hot rocks were an issue in a particular spot, some here are about a 3 on the ID I could use tone break for them. At least I would hear them and decide if I want to dig. Using any disc seems to affect small gold so, this would really help my hearing of the signal in hot rocks or just in general! What do you think?

• Like 1

Concnetrics only efffect the numbers on flat iron, the rest of the id's should be pretty much the same as a dd.

I actually like the dd bit better on the Gold Racer. Nel and Cors make a 12x11 (superfly and butterfly) coil for the Gold Racer but none of the dealers in the USA sell them and won't even order them for ya. I had asked and even offered to pay upfront but they decline. Would be nice if Nel and Cors just sell direct in that case on Amazon or have an online store of their own. One thing I don't like are lazy dealers.

Ok, I see, flat iron. I was talking to a dealer about the different coils. He had the opinion that the manufacturers coils seem to work best on most detectors. I haven't had any experience with after market coils. I think the big coil is all I can handle. It gets a bit tiring after a while swinging it on the beach. It is deeper by an inch or 2. I like that it really covers ground. Mostly, I'm really glad it hits the tiny chain at an inch. I feel that I still have a good chance at micro stuff even with this big of a coil. Amazing to me.

• Like 1

I've had good luck with 3rd party coils but only have used Nel and Mars. They fill a niche where stock coils may not have the size you want. The Superfly is 12w X 11 and 420g. Would think it would work well on the Gold Racer. I have one on my Multi Kruzer and really like it. For hunting in the woods I will go back to the stock coil as it is more robust.

I know the Gold Racer isn't that popular but still don't know why when a dealer is ordering stock why they can't request a particular coil even when they have it paid in advanced. Got me stumped on that one.

I see, that could be an option if I have an issue with a coil like I did once. I got another. That big coil is nice but, it would be nice to have a slightly smaller one. That's for another day when I have money to burn! Or, need a replacement. 

I think the GR is excellent. However, it probably is niche. It works great for me!

So, I wanted to ask this again. Will the Disc 2 be just as deep and sensitive as all metal when the ID mask is set to 0? I was not sure. Is the all metal circuitry different? Is there still something reducing sensitivity in Disc 2 even at 0? Because, I sure can hear responses better in Disc mode. I tend to get frustrated with the muted sound of all metal.

If I don't get a response, I may do a test myself. Which I should do anyway. Maybe NotMac is reading this and can reply. 

Why would the disc channels have such great signal sound compared to all metal? So crisp and distinct! I don't know much about the circuitry to understand.

I mean, the Gold Racer is built off of the Racer technology. This is some kind of hybred detector. It has the all metal circutry, with a whole new way of adding features to a Gold/micro jewelery Detector. Nothing has been made like this before.  

I have successfully used the tone break and ID filter set to 0 to find a tiny bit of brass in a pile of trash in a roadside pull out. I was just experimenting with using only tone break as a discriminator. I could hear one high tone. One tiny high tone. And I recovered it too. Do that on all metal.

Maybe I just set up my next experiment. I have a tiny bit of gold glued to a zip tie. I'm going to set it somewhere on the river and do this same thing to see if I can figure out the settings... 

To be continued...

On 5/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, Tahoegold said:

Here's my question. To you that have found small earings, tiny rings and chains etc. Do you just dig it all? I'm thinking that's the only way to even know for sure. I finding myself ok with that if that is how this works. 

From my point of view, I surely payed the excess of discrimination in the past.

I hunted for years with a "supertuned" Ctx for a gold exclusive search, bored and tired many times, to discover finally that a well tuned all metal with a gentle treshold can do the job better in most of the sposts.

Useless treshold on a machine like that, but extremely efficient on an Excalibur.

My 2 cents are: forget about trash elimination by your machine and learn as much as You can to recognize environment's conditions.

Go for the weight index, instead of type.Move towards the targets are more prone to be coin or sinker like weighted..Be Happy to dig trash cause this only means to better know the area and how far you're from Gold.

The beach Is for me the most similar place to the hell.

There's other few places on the earth where to begin crazy without a real cause.

• Haha 1

If you follow the progression, the Gold Racer and Gold Kruzer are actually the AU Gold Finder circuit stuffed in different packages with little tweaks to make them different.  The Gold Racer is the AU Gold Finder stuffed in a Gold Racer Package.  Makro wanted one too, so they took the AU Gold Finder and stuffed it in the Kruzer package.

But they are all basically the same detector so you can expect the same performance from all three.  

Want knobs.....AU Gold Finder.

Want a display and like the Racer package....Gold Racer.

Want want a display and like the Kruzer package....Gold Kruzer.

I just wish the Gold Kruzer had the same aftermarket coil selection availability that the Gold Racer enjoys.

HH
Mike

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

From my point of view, I surely payed the excess of discrimination in the past.

I hunted for years with a "supertuned" Ctx for a gold exclusive search, bored and tired many times, to discover finally that a well tuned all metal with a gentle treshold can do the job better in most of the sposts.

Useless treshold on a machine like that, but extremely efficient on an Excalibur.

My 2 cents are: forget about trash elimination by your machine and learn as much as You can to recognize environment's conditions.

Go for the weight index, instead of type.Move towards the targets are more prone to be coin or sinker like weighted..Be Happy to dig trash cause this only means to better know the area and how far you're from Gold.

The beach Is for me the most similar place to the hell.

There's other few places on the earth where to begin crazy without a real cause.

This EXACTLY!! I like to cherry pick at first, grab what I can of the easy stuff and then set up for the tiny stuff when I find a spot where it seems people had been.

This is where I was trying to find jewelry. I then cherry pick with disc 2 in 10, tone break at 30. I know now I was not tuned because of my test chain results. Now I'll set to 0 on Disc 2 and 0 on tone break. Single tone all metal and go for the tiny stuff. I seem to be hearing the high tone better. My mind is set to be alerted to that tone. 

The GR takes a lot of confusion out of the beach crazy using it's tool set. Going through the process to all metal, helps me mentally to enjoy. Then, the process in all metal is a hunt to find the tiny stuff, so, tiny sounds are the target. Which, in itself, is a type of discrimination. So, I feel like it's a process of elimination the GR does with precision. It's too bad I wasn't set up correctly until now. But, I'm really looking forward to using it now!

In All metal, the issue for me is the echo it gives on targets. It gives a signal, the signal recedes, and then theres a prolonged hum which settles down to threshold level. I have a hard time with that. I have been able to find tiny stuff doing that. I did give it my all, working in all metal. However, the Disc response doesnt have the echo. It gives a report, then, silence. That works so much better. Even when I change the iSAT in all metal to mimic the same retune speed, I cant get the all metal to work as clearly as Disc 2 in all metal. The signal in AM sounds so vague comparatively. Am I missing out by not using AM? Or, am I really doing better in Disc 2 set to 0 on ID filter AND tone break? Or, do I need to experiment to find out. Am I the first to look into this?

1 hour ago, Mike_Hillis said:

If you follow the progression, the Gold Racer and Gold Kruzer are actually the AU Gold Finder circuit stuffed in different packages with little tweaks to make them different.  The Gold Racer is the AU Gold Finder stuffed in a Gold Racer Package.  Makro wanted one too, so they took the AU Gold Finder and stuffed it in the Kruzer package.

But they are all basically the same detector so you can expect the same performance from all three.  

Want knobs.....AU Gold Finder.

Want a display and like the Racer package....Gold Racer.

Want want a display and like the Kruzer package....Gold Kruzer.

I just wish the Gold Kruzer had the same aftermarket coil selection availability that the Gold Racer enjoys.

HH
Mike

Thanks for the history on this! Now I'm really glad I have the racer.

I was tempted to try a Mars coil. But, the sales rep that sees returns on coils said the manufacturers coils were usually designed with better specs. However, now I'm thinking, if I ever need a replacement, there's some interesting options in sizes. Mars coils may be more rugged. I'm not sure. But, that woud be my reasoning to try another brand. At least I have options!