Coil choice depends on the type of detecting you plan on doing. If your looking for micro jewelry and bit of coin shooting the stock dd and/or stock concentric should do the trick.  I had looked into a slightly larger coil for relic hunting but still sticking with stock dd here for the most part. Stock dd hits a 2 gram gold pendant at 14" and a silver dime at 10" so no complaints. In the field obviously those numbers are less depending on ground conditions.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:17 PM, Tahoegold said:

Am I missing out by not using AM? Or, am I really doing better in Disc 2 set to 0 on ID filter AND tone break? Or, do I need to experiment to find out. Am I the first to look into this?

If You're in trouble with the audio response of your machine in AM, then try with Disc mode, but with the least effective setting against iron.I don't know properly your machine, but generally, I use zero discrimination with a dedicated tone for iron.This means to Hear It,don't dig It, but not making mute the machine over It too...You might want a clear signal if some iron Is accidentally near the good target, so eliminating the iron cut can help in some way...Hope this is clear in my way to explain It...

• Like 2

All Metal has an advantage where you can hear the variations in the ground yet clearly hear a target and be able to better judge it's size/depth. The VDI on the Gold Racer is really good and will id a 10" clad dime with stock dd in low/moderate ground.

The only time I will switch to a disc mode is when there are just too many targets to follow and my brain can't keep up. Overall in moderate/low trash areas the Gold Racer is a fun small jewelry and coin shooter on top of being a prospecting machine but you can easily get overwhelmed in high trash areas. The discriminator is limited as you can only disc out from a set point and below and audio is limited to 2 tones (flat iron signal and vco) based on audio break. I sometimes set my audio break to or below the disc level and run it as a single vco signal machine if I start getting into trash.

Last bit, being a gold machine you have a wider range of iron 0-40 with iron nails breaking at the 19-low 20's range. This leaves a wide mid range for gold and aluminum 40-70 and only leaving a small range for the rest.

Hunting in high aluminum trash areas can be the big downside to this gold machine and probably true for other machines in it's class is that you really have to pay attention to the signals that aluminum give and their jumpy numbers to identify them vs gold. Can slaw and foil will be the trickiest to identify as they have the most variation.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, kac said:

All Metal has an advantage where you can hear the variations in the ground yet clearly hear a target and be able to better judge it's size/depth. The VDI on the Gold Racer is really good and will id a 10" clad dime with stock dd in low/moderate ground.

The only time I will switch to a disc mode is when there are just too many targets to follow and my brain can't keep up. Overall in moderate/low trash areas the Gold Racer is a fun small jewelry and coin shooter on top of being a prospecting machine but you can easily get overwhelmed in high trash areas. The discriminator is limited as you can only disc out from a set point and below and audio is limited to 2 tones (flat iron signal and vco) based on audio break. I sometimes set my audio break to or below the disc level and run it as a single vco signal machine if I start getting into trash.

Last bit, being a gold machine you have a wider range of iron 0-40 with iron nails breaking at the 19-low 20's range. This leaves a wide mid range for gold and aluminum 40-70 and only leaving a small range for the rest.

Hunting in high aluminum trash areas can be the big downside to this gold machine and probably true for other machines in it's class is that you really have to pay attention to the signals that aluminum give and their jumpy numbers to identify them vs gold. Can slaw and foil will be the trickiest to identify as they have the most variation.

OK, This is the best explanation in my mind, of the difference in the AM vs Disc. The ground variation is the big difference. Which helps decide the size and depth. OK, AM is best in areas with low trash. I'll buy that. I used AM a few times and recovered tiny bits of lead in sand, so I know I can use it. 

I know what you mean about Aluminum. It hits well on that. I didn't know about the numbers and the spread for Iron and gold areas. That seems like a good thing to me. Coins are all up in the high numbers. Now I have a much better grasp of this detector. Great info, Thanks!

• Like 1

Took the Gold Racer to a field I hit that has been picked through by a lot of people. Pretty much used all metal until I hit some trashier spots that had a lot of old iron bits and coal. Disc1 with default settings and gain around 90 worked well. Disc 2 I had nearly identical settings except with imask on 0 and id filter on 2.

Got s solid 90 so knew I had something in the silver range and it turned out to be 2 clad silver dollars in the same hole about 4" down. Thinking others skipped it because it could be mistaken for trash like a can etc.

Other was a fairly deep clad quarter bout 8" down, small broken very old locket thinking late 1800 that came in the 50's that was about 8" down and some kiddie bling that looked really good until I saw the rinestones 🙂

Fun coin relic machine in moderate low trash and tough grounds. The imask seems to do well keeping coal bits down. Coal kills me on my Tejon when I hunt deep and always end up diging way down for chunk.

IMG_1520.JPG

• Like 1