I Know I'm New Here But......

Almost all I've read here for several months now is about one detector brand vs the same brand model questions, comparisons,  personal reviews and such.

I thought most of these should be on that brand forum(which I follow religiously) and this was a forum about showing finds and and talking about new areas, how to and so on.....

Sorry If I'm wrong.....please say so and I'll fade away.

When you're hot , you're hot  , except when you're not.

I see activity on Most OF the other brand Forums here on DP in last ..18 hrs.

Many here own other brands . Just DP is home to some "heavy hitters" on the MineLab team.

Yes , the hot threads are on MineLabs latest . Just what everybody wants to learn about...IMO , You'll probably see the same post by brand ratio elsewhere ?

Try posting a question on a different brand of your choice ,(I didn't see one in your Sig line) ? 

Here's just one new post example 

How many finds have you posted?

Yup, you are new here. You are looking around, and I guess you don’t like what you see. Next move is up to you, because the discussion is what it is. You can participate or not. What’s not going to happen is the entire membership change what they are doing just because you showed up, and decided how and what people should post about.

The forum veers off into whatever is the hot topic of the day. That often is the latest and greatest of any brand. One brand dominates... whose fault is that? There have been times this forum would be discussing other brands more, but if they are not delivering the goods, shame on them.

The bottom line is this is a prospectors campfire, the discussion goes where it goes, and you can participate or not, leave or stay, but something tells me people are going to continue to post about what they want, not what you think they should post about. I did not make you post what you did, and it’s not about detecting either, less so than others. It would have been more appropriate to PM the mod with that sort of thing. How dare you! :laugh:

Seriously, this used to be the only forum here, and ALL discussion took place here. Everything. Now it’s been largely divided up... after the fact. I made the divisions, and moved the content. Everything before a few years ago all originated on this one forum, and much still does. After six pages, I still move content to other forums, like Minelab posts to Minelab forum. They did not all get made there. Start reading after page ten, and you’ll see a forum more like you crave, because I’ve moved everything by then. Page six is my cutoff for scanning and moving.

So basically you do not know the forum, or it’s history, but think you know how it SHOULD be run, and what content SHOULD be here. Thanks, I guess. Let’s see if everyone toes the line. Judging by my recent posts I’d say I’m a direct target of your thread, so good luck with that. :smile:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 2

Let me put that another way. This particular forum is comprised of people who use metal detectors to find gold nuggets. There are some heavy hitters here from around the world. It’s like a prospectors convention. This is what we are talking about. Stay? Leave? That sums it up.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The bottom line is this is a prospectors campfire, the discussion goes where it goes,

Nice analogy  👍

• Like 2

Steve and Mike, I totally agree 100% with Steve with what he created with his forum. This is Steve's forum! It is his discision as to how this forum should be. Steve is right in the fact that this is much like sitting around a camp fire after a long day nugget hunting. The discussion flows as water flows where ever the power of interest takes everyone. It is your choice to join in or not. It is not for you or anyone else who doesn't like it- even me to try and change it. If you don't like the conversation topics, just wait a while, it will change, and perhaps you will like the next topic. I am sick and tired of people coming in from the outside and trying to change something that works very well, just because they don't like it. I am sure everyone who likes this camp fire, as Steve puts it, likes this safe space, comfortable space, just the way it is. There are other forums out there, and if you are the type that feels you have to socially change something good then go to those! Leave this one alone. We all like it!

• Like 3

The forum has grown some...picture your trying to write a book and keep it organized by having a table of contents and an index...hard enough to do this when it's all your own material and thoughts...now try doing it when there are 100's of other people adding to your book  on a minute by minute basis....it becomes a bit of a challenge...

strick 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mike(swWash) said:

Almost all I've read here for several months now is about one detector brand vs the same brand model questions, comparisons,  personal reviews and such.

I thought most of these should be on that brand forum(which I follow religiously) and this was a forum about showing finds and and talking about new areas, how to and so on.....

Sorry If I'm wrong.....please say so and I'll fade away.

Welcome to this amazing forum.

Right now, Minelab is the king, queen and all the prince and princesses of the gold prospecting pulse induction detector world. There are only a few other distant contenders for a place at the table. They are welcome to take a seat too if they are worthy. Whether they are worthy or not gets discussed here along with how Minelab pulse induction/ZVT detectors are doing out in the field with plenty of comparisons within the Minelab brand. 

Then there is the VLF detector gold prospecting category which is once again, dominated by Minelab, with First Texas, Nokta Makro, XP and Garrett/Whites having a good share of the conversation currently.

Giving out obvious, exact information on places to gold prospect with a detector...........that information may or may not be found here (probably not for good reasons.....). The same goes for exact settings which sometimes are not just site specific but are also individual target specific.

The other brand locations do sometimes have prospecting carryovers that are eventually moved here. If you are a Minelab person, you will find Minelab detector information in all of the categories that are not brand specific. Then there will be plenty under Minelab detectors for sure. 

Sometimes there are some topics on prospecting without a detector that are included here too.

• Like 2