I Know I'm New Here But......

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This particular forum is comprised of people who use metal detectors to find gold nuggets. There are some heavy hitters here from around the world. It’s like a prospectors convention.

I’m not a prospector, but I read this section of DP often....maybe I will expand my horizons (after over 35 years of coin/jewelry/beach/turf th’ing)....I do own a PI machine (Whites TDI Pro for beach detecting).   I really like what Steve has done with this sub forum, providing a “fireside chat” feel where top experts in prospecting from around the world can express their opinions on the latest/greatest of prospecting machines.  Don’t need to change a thing here! It’s up to Steve anyway to share/lay out his vision of DP, and it’s one of the best....it’s the only forum on the Net that I’m regularly contributing to theses days.(after being a  member of 5 different forums in the past 14 years).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm new here as of today but I came here knowing what to expect.  Even though I have only detected for gold once, I really enjoy reading about detectors, gold and prospecting.  As for Steve and his forums, I was on his forum when he was up in Alaska.  I even responded to one of his posts when he detected on the island of Kauai.  This is his forum.  He knows what the people who come here want.  His posters here know what they want and stay here because Steve delivers.  I'm 77 years old and the likelihood of detecting for gold is quickly disappearing for me.  I hope to still be able to read the posts on this site and enjoy them for many years to come. 

PS - I own a GPX4800 which I use in Culpeper Virginia, an Infinium and an f75.  Recently sold my CTX3030 and Fisher 1280X.  And I live in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just have to add my two cents worth. 🙂  I strongly support the way Steve has designed, developed and supports this forum.    I have been on this forum for less than a year and must complement the many contributors and their knowledge.  It is from these contributions that I have gained much knowledge in the arena of nugget hunting.  As others have observed this is like an evening chat around a campfire.   As I learn more about nugget hunting I try to contribute a little to the conversation when ever possible and appropriate.  I have also learned that when entering a conversation it is often best to just sit quietly and listen.  It is amazing how  much a person can learn from just listening to the conversation.  The same is true here.  A specific thread may be about a specific detector and it's function, characteristics, etc.  but there will also often be little tidbits lurking within the text.  These tidbits will be about technique, approach, philosophy, location information among other "nuggets" of information.   Collecting these little "nuggets" of information is akin to collecting 'fly speck" gold with a VLF metal detector, after a while the total adds up to something significant.   Although I am focused on gold prospecting, I also frequent the other parts of this forum in search of those prized "nuggets" of information.   A single comment in a jewelry hunting thread or coin hunting thread can lead to a surprising amount of discovered knowledge if one is willing to do a little research.  It is not uncommon for me to find a single comment (not specifically gold prospecting related) on one of the threads that will lead to several hours of on-line and or library research.  Almost always this research leads to new knowledge for me.  So I say THANK YOU to all of you that continue to contribute to this forum and thus to my knowledge base.   I have found at least 20 metal detector and metal detector/prospector related forums on the internet (there are probably many more) and of this group, this is the most active forum.  

Steve, this is your forum to operate as you choose, and I for one like it in it's present format. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1