Looking For Advice On Detector...

You know, I was contacted a few years ago by a gentleman that was telling me a story about a robbery in Great Falls, MT from the Anaconda Copper Company in Black Eagle. I was told by this old gentleman that some workers plotted to steel some of the gold by-product from the smelter in Black Eagle along the Missouri River. This guy was telling me that 2-4 guys loaded up an old truck (this happening in the 20's-30's) and was driving out of the lower smelter facility and that the gold was too heavy for the truck and it went off the road rolled down the embankment and into the Missouri River. This guy discribed where the truck entered the river and I said that puts the truck entering the river about 200-500 yards above Black Eagle Dam. He said exactly, that is correct. He wanted me to drive to Great Falls and get into the Missouri River with my detector. It is deep and swift at this point. I told him how do you plan on searching for and retrieving the gold bars without being seenĀ  by law enforcement, Dam personel or anyone caretaking the copper company land without being seen? This sounds exactly like the story I am now seeing posted on here now. Except for the body of water. If this is the same guy looking for a way to get to the gold bars, then it is a major river, not a creek. I will get a photo of this location and post it here. Too funny šŸ˜‚.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

According to legend, in a creek not too far from home, there are two gold bars from a stage robbery.

What happens when/if you recover the gold bars? Do you get to keep them? Or do you have to hand them back to the original owners? Is there a time period after which the 'finders keepers' rule applies? Just asking because I face this dilemma every time I find valuable jewellery orĀ rings on the beach, whether to turn them in at the police station in case someone has reported them lost or to hang on to them and keeping quiet..Ā Ā 

Here are the photos of the location. Somewhere in the zone of the yellow line is where the truck couldn't stop and ended up in the river because there was way too much weight on the truck to be able to stop to make the turn on the road. Also gold bars of that size would have toĀ  be produced by a very large smelting company and a large smelting company will need alot of power to operate. Not something that a creek will be able to provide. But a large river, sure thing. The bare dirt ground in the upper part of the photo is where the smoke stake was situated. It was blown up I think in 1983-1984. I sat across the river and watched them blow it up with dynamite šŸ§Ø. I am from this town.Ā  Gold bars that heavyĀ  and that many would not be able to be transported on a stage. They would have to leave from where they were made by a much more robust means of transportation. The railroad goes right along the grounds of the smelter company to load copper and other metals onto a train car to be shipped out.

Screenshot_20210504-152736_copy_180x380.png

Screenshot_20210504-152814_copy_180x380.png

Screenshot_20210504-152814_copy_180x380.png

1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

What happens when/if you recover the gold bars? Do you get to keep them? Or do you have to hand them back to the original owners? Is there a time period after which the 'finders keepers' rule applies? Just asking because I face this dilemma every time I find valuable jewellery orĀ rings on the beach, whether to turn them in at the police station in case someone has reported them lost or to hang on to them and keeping quiet..Ā Ā 

I'll tell you one thing. if I find one of them, no one will ever know about it...LOL As George Patton said "all glory is fleeting".

Jim

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Here are the photos of the location. Somewhere in the zone of the yellow line is where the truck couldn't stop and ended up in the river because there was way too much weight on the truck to be able to stop to make the turn on the road. Also gold bars of that size would have toĀ  be produced by a very large smelting company and a large smelting company will need alot of power to operate. Not something that a creek will be able to provide. But a large river, sure thing. The bare dirt ground in the upper part of the photo is where the smoke stake was situated. It was blown up I think in 1983-1984. I sat across the river and watched them blow it up with dynamite šŸ§Ø. I am from this town.Ā  Gold bars that heavyĀ  and that many would not be able to be transported on a stage. They would have to leave from where they were made by a much more robust means of transportation. The railroad goes right along the grounds of the smelter company to load copper and other metals onto a train car to be shipped out.

Wells Fargo shipped these large bars to prevent theft. This theft had nothing to do with Great Falls. The gold probably originated at Bannack, MT., or maybe Virginia City/Alder Gulch and was headed to Utah.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

Quickie air test between my Mars Tiger 10x13 and Nel Big 17x15 with a 2 lb lead ingot. Tone breaks from high to low 19" on the Tiger and 24" on the Big. Tone carries to to medium then nothing not much further.

I do have a lot of emi so guessing in the water you may get better performance than that and if on the Max much more depth.

The Nel Big can also double up as an anchor in case you wanted to have lunch out in the river and not lose your place.

I'd probably get WAY better simply be cause of the bar size. The lead bar I have is about 8 x 16 x 3 and weighs roughly 50lbs. Looks like I'm going to have to do some testing with my TM808, and if that isn't going to work I'll have to shop, for an AT Max.

Jim

• Like 1

How deep is the creek that you are talking about. What is the name of it? Alot of these adventure detectors have a underwater depth limit of 10 feet. Most creeks won't be a problem but there are some over that depth in Montana.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

How deep is the creek that you are talking about. What is the name of it? Alot of these adventure detectors have a underwater depth limit of 10 feet. Most creeks won't be a problem but there are some over that depth in Montana.

LOL...I'dĀ  as soon not give out the name, thank you.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Might consider a Gemini 3 or TM-808 in a raft with no metal for the main hunt. A two box will ignore small targets and only get the biggies, might be just what you need.

Ya know, Steve, when I think more on this, I could probably figure out how high to set the sensitivity to preclude seeing most of the iron targets. I'm starting to think the TM808 might be just the ticket for this. Should be able to come up with some sort of cover to keep the water off, too. I appreciate the help.

Jim

• Like 2