Any Questions About The GPX 6000?

Steve - When collapsed down could you give the width and height dimensions too?  Like you mentioned I am looking for a storage case to put this in so that I can throw it in my RZR. (Shock, water and dust proof)  I am not there yet like Lucky Lundy and just put it in a gun rack. 😁

• Haha 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was on the team, as were Nenad and JP. Any others here? In any case, if you have specific questions about the GPX 6000, ask away, and get straight answers. If it violates our NDA expect to be told s

All my testing was northern Nevada and northern Sierras, worst locations. The 6000 handled everything I could toss at it as well or better than GPZ. It lacks disc outside of the hi and lo tone thing,

I pushed hard to have it made for you (us) so may as well enjoy.  A reminder that this takes two seconds to stow away, and I swear it feels like a feather. It weirdly feels way less heavy than 4.6 lbs

Posted Images

I’ll add the extra measurements, but I just ordered the 36” version of this $80 case, and will let you know in a couple days how it fits in a new thread.

136D6C9A-B3F5-472C-9286-CAC4D7343F28.jpeg

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

The key is to get the bulk GB right then get the super fine close to ground GB accurate within the saturation zone to refine the GB even further allowing the detector to smooth right out.

Follow up for JP and Steve if you both have time. A few of the places I detect are right on a serpentine/greenstone contact. The gold is specimen and tends to be right on this contact or close to it.

Even with carefully "quarantining" my detecting to each side of the contact there are pockets of different ground intermixed, and this wide variability causes issues with GB. Does the 6k's GeoSense help smooth out some of this variability better/worse/similar to the Zed and 5k? How quick would you say it tracks, and does this effect small target recovery? How does the 6k deal with the ground signal change after excavation (since sometimes digging a hole changes the ground response)?

I've learned to keep my coil on or close to the ground, even when digging, to keep the tracking locked in, but I'm curious about the speed of the 6k's tracking for the variable ground conditions I've seen in the Klamath Mtns.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Can you carry your cell phone, GPS, PLB like an inReach, or a hand held radio on when using it?  I know that cell phones messed with the GPZ. 

Every EMI source is to be avoided. Does not mean you won’t carry them, and that it will not work, but it all adds up. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Calmark said:

I'd like to know around what date the extra batteries and 17" mono coil will be available in the USA.  I realize knowing that exact info is probably as accurate as placing random dates on a dartboard and tossing a dart at them blindfolded to choose.  😁

I also wonder what the cost of those accessories will be.  GPX 6000 with 11" mono, 14DD and 1 battery for the USA market for $6000.  Add in another battery and 17" mono and what's the total cost?

Maybe one of the ML dealers can answer Calmark's questions for us along with when will the GPX 6000 be available in the USA? We're already sold on the GPX 6000, thanks to Steve H. and all the excellent posts on the DP forum.

Bill

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, cobill said:

Maybe one of the ML dealers can answer Calmark's questions for us along with when will the GPX 6000 be available in the USA? We're already sold on the GPX 6000, thanks to Steve H. and all the excellent posts on the DP forum.

Bill

Like I said, Minelab USA is not telling dealers anything except "before end of year." I like my "any day now" better. :smile:

• Like 1

Whenever Minelab fills dealers in, it'd be good if a dealer could ask them if repair parts are being sent with the 6k's or if there will be a shortage/wait time on them too.

Just curious since between my 45 and Z I had to replace skid plates, 2 shafts (I broke my 45, the original Z shaft wouldn't grip the other shaft properly and needed replaced), and a battery. My 45 also needed a main board replacement not long after initial purchase. So, these things do happen even with new machines and would be good to know whenever ML fills dealers in with more info if possible.

• Like 2

Do you still absolutely need metal free boots for the 6000? For the GPZ I strictly use metal-free shoes, but when I go hiking with the SDC in rough terrain I wear my favorite hiking boots that have a very small amount of metal in them (like all real hiking boots have, but composite toe protection). Works just fine with the SDC without any problems. But for the GPZ this is an absolute no. Just wondering how the 6000/11/14 would compare? Obviously, metal free is always better. But I just have not found any pure plastic boots that earn the title "hiking boots".  And I have tried at least a half dozen different ones. I know there is a different thread on boots, but just curious if the 6000 is as sensitive as the 7000, even if you keep the coil away as far as possible from your boots while swinging. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      ....... is that they lack any Geosense!  Sorry, could not resist, just having too much fun with this.

• By 1515Art
      If this has been posted here already I missed it, sorry.
      But, wow... 

• By mn90403
      Get a GPX 6000 to use on your old patches before someone else does!  You will be glad you did.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      More on coils. The tops are just to shed debris and attach to detector.
      GPX11 mono, exactly 11" diameter, 562 grams coil and cable only (no scuff cover or coil bolt)

Minelab GPX11 mono coil underside
      GPX14 DD, exactly 14" diameter, 892 grams coil and cable only

Minelab GPX14 coil underside
      GPX17 mono, exactly 17" x 13", 802 grams coil and cable only

Minelab GPX17 coil underside
      GPX 6000 lower rod
      21.5" long, 17.7 mm (0.70 in) diameter tube, 1 mm wall thickness, end 0.90 in width, round washer part# 4005-0117

I've suggested to steveg that a 24" rod would be a nice option. Have to take care of the tall people! 
      Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews
      Minelab GPX 6000 Accessories and Spare Parts
      Minelab GPX 6000 Owner’s Manual
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I was on the development team for both the Minelab GPZ 7000 and GPX 6000 detectors. I’m also a well traveled detectorist, familiar with the type of gold and ground conditions commonly encountered in the U.S. There are questions about how these two detectors compare, and I think I am ready to make some recommendations for U.S. prospectors. I make zero claims about these opinions applying to Australia or anywhere else. This is just my take on the current situation on the ground in the U.S. as regards these two metal detectors. This commentary is aimed specifically at a person considering both models, never having owned either one. You want to step up from what you have, to either the Minelab GPX 6000 for US$5999, or the GPZ 7000 for US$7999. What do you get for the extra $2000, and is it worth it?
      Famed detectorist Lunk was in the area, and gave me a yell a few days ago. We met for a couple days of GPX and GPZ hunting. I’ve never hunted with Lunk, and wanted to, as I admire his detecting skills. He of course wanted to see the 6000, so we got together to do a little testing, and to compare thoughts.
      The reality of nugget detecting in the U.S. is that we are on the tail end of the electronic gold rush. We never had the quantities of very large nuggets that Australia had, and many locations are nothing but small gold. People do not like to hear it, but the bigger the gold, the easier it is to find. The larger it is, the faster it goes away. Each nugget detected is one less to find, and anyone who has worked the goldfields for many years knows the patches are playing out. The determined detectorist can always find gold, but finding large nuggets, or large quantities of gold, is an ever more difficult task.
      The technology is mature, with gains there hard won, and usually only on a certain class of gold, like specimen gold. The technology to find large, solid lumps of gold, is not improving as fast as the nuggets are depleting. Ultimately the geology rules, and the U.S. has many shallow placers that do not extend to depth. In the areas I hunt, gold is found down to, and on top of the caliche layer. The old timers and more recently bulldozer scrapes show that more often than not, gold does not extend at depth. A deeper detecting machine offers no real benefit in the expectation of super deep, large nuggets.
      In my opinion, straight out of the box, the GPX 6000 is the better choice for most people in the U.S. who are considering the two detectors. The GPX 6000 simply does a better job without modification, on bread and butter, 2 gram and smaller gold. On larger stuff, the GPX 6000 will almost always hit the same gold the GPZ 7000 will find. I no longer recommend the GPZ 7000 to anyone but the most committed power users. Literally, the people who must have the most power obtainable. To actually make this happen, you will need not just a GPZ 7000, but some aftermarket coils for it to really get the full potential out of the machine. If you are that person, budgeting $10K for a GPZ 7000 and a couple accessory coils is not crazy, or out of the question. If you want to get the most power you can buy, go GPZ 7000. If you are convinced large multi ounce nuggets teams in at depth, and you want to get them, a GPZ with some aftermarket coils is probably your best bet.

0.037 gram bit, decent signal, not surface
      I argue however that for anyone else, anyone else but the most committed power users, that the GPX 6000 is the better choice. I’ve said I have no issue hunting with GPZ owners as a 6000 user. I’ll now go a step farther, and say that as far as I am concerned, stock detector to stock detector.... I think I have the edge on the GPZ user for finding gold in the U.S.
      The GPX 6000 out of box will clearly and easily hit small gold targets the GPZ 7000 misses entirely, with performance more like GPZ users experience when running a small aftermarket coil. The GPZ can match or exceed the 6000 on small gold with the use of the aftermarket coils, but you have to invest even deeper than the already large $2000 differential. The GPX 6000 with the 11” mono is close to Gold Monster sensitivity, though a smaller coil is needed to really make that obvious.
      Further, the 6000, even without the DD coil, handles salt ground better than the GPZ 7000. Finally, the 17” mono can be added to the 6000 and still be under the price of the GPZ 7000, so you have a three coil machine for less than the single coil GPZ costs. The 17” mono is almost as hot on small gold as the 11” mono, while giving excellent depth on the larger stuff. It's light weight, and small gold capability, make this a near perfect patch hunting coil.
      To sum up, if dropped on random locations in the United States, and I have to go with one of these machines, and my buddy gets the one I do not choose... he can have the stock 7000, I’ll take the 6000. I honestly think it’s my better choice for getting the most gold signals out of the majority U.S. ground.
      Just my opinion, and feel free to argue otherwise. But from what I saw the last couple days, I have nothing to fear from going head to head with GPZ operators in U.S. ground. If anything, I think I have the edge. Toss in aftermarket coils and that changes, but stick to stock, I’ll choose GPX 6000 every time, not just for ergonomics, but for actual performance. If the gold in the photo below is your bread and butter, the GPX 6000 is a great way to go.
      GPX 6000 Initial Report
      Full manual sensitivity with threshold, low mineral setting, external speaker employed (no headphones):

5.68 grams added to 6000 running total, 27.26 grams
      Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews
      Minelab GPX 6000 Accessories and Spare Parts
      Minelab GPX 6000 Owner’s Manual