24 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Could you point it downwards if you put it on the brim of a hat or on your head?

I haven't explored it that closely, but flipping it over would likely cover up the speaker ports causing the loudspeaker audio to be muted.

• 1 year later...

For those considering getting a Torus I would hold off and see if they can fix the issues they've got with it, mine are just new and the latest version with the latest firmware and I've noticed crackling and popping sounds on the GPX 6000 when connected using aptX low latency.   I then connected with my Mpow atpX low latency transmitter on my GPZ and used them with it and noticed the same crackling and popping sounds, they were happening every few minutes, sometimes worse than others.  The sound quality on them is excellent, at first I was putting the crackling noises down to detecting near power lines and getting interference on the Bluetooth frequency but Ive since ruled that out by using them in a remote location away from any major source of EMI and the problem is exactly the same.

I'm very fussy with audio so others with them may not have noticed or just don't care, but I do, I hate any audio problems like hissing, crackling or popping sounds, they drive me crazy.

I contacted Avantee about the issue which they acknowledged exists with the Torus.  See our chat transcript below

Visitor 15895070

May 29, 2022, 18:31 PDT

Chat started: 2022-05-30 01:15 AM UTC

(01:15:34 AM) Visitor 15895070: Hello
(01:15:35 AM) Avantree Support Desk: Welcome to Avantree! Let me find an available agent for you... May we have your name and email please?
(01:15:37 AM) *** Avantree - Sara joined the chat ***
(01:15:45 AM) Visitor 15895070: Simon is my name
(01:15:45 AM) Avantree - Sara: Hello
(01:15:55 AM) Visitor 15895070 is now known as Simon.
(01:16:06 AM) Avantree - Sara: Hi Simon, what can we help please?
(01:16:23 AM) Simon: I have just bought some Torus wearable speaker from Amazon and when I connect with atpX low Latency to them I get regular popping clicking sort of static sounds, connecting without aptX I don't get this problem
(01:16:52 AM) Avantree - Sara: May i know which device you pair with the Torus?
(01:17:20 AM) Simon: I have tried two things, a Mpow atpX transmitter and also a Minelab GPX 6000 aptx Low latency metal detector
(01:17:35 AM) Simon: both cause the cracking popping sound that happens every few minutes
(01:20:26 AM) Avantree - Sara: we have noticed that there is some pop noise in LL codec. And the only way to fix it is getting them paired with aptx codec
(01:20:30 AM) Simon: the problem only occurs when using aptX low latency
(01:20:58 AM) Simon: if I use other atpx low latency headphones I do not have the problem
(01:21:39 AM) Simon: I have noticed there is possibly a firmware upgrade, it is possible to try this to resolve the problem?
(01:22:04 AM) Avantree - Sara: https://avantree.com/product-support/BTSP-NB05-BLK#nb05-troubleshooting-poor-call-quality-low-mic-volume-dfu
(01:22:06 AM) Avantree - Sara: do you mean this one?
(01:22:47 AM) Avantree - Sara: May i know the Lot NO. of your Torus please?
(01:23:15 AM) Simon: 21F1
(01:24:38 AM) Avantree - Sara: The one you have should be with the latest firmware already
(01:24:44 AM) Simon: Ok
(01:25:10 AM) Simon: so there is no solution to the problem, other bluetooth low latency headphones work but the torus will make crackling sounds?
(01:27:16 AM) Avantree - Sara: our engineers are still working on this. the only way now is letting them pair with aptx codec:(
(01:27:37 AM) Simon: Ok thank you.
(01:28:01 AM) Simon: I will return them to Amazon
(01:28:23 AM) Avantree - Sara: may i know your email address? We will contact you once there is a solution
(01:28:34 AM) Simon: my email is simon@##############

(01:28:42 AM) Simon: if you think you'll find a solution I will keep them.
(01:30:44 AM) Avantree - Sara: we will email you within one or two weeks and let you know the result. And you still could return them to amazon if we still can't find a solution then.
(01:31:13 AM) Simon: Ok, thank you very much, I appreciate your help.
(01:31:25 AM) Avantree - Sara: You are welcome. Bye for now
(01:31:29 AM) Simon: bye
(01:31:37 AM) *** Avantree - Sara left the chat ***

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I've noticed crackling and popping sounds on the GPX 6000 when connected using aptX low latency. 

I am sorry to hear. Mine works just fine. Thanks also for the customer care info. Interesting.

GC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gold Catcher said:

I am sorry to hear. Mine works just fine. Thanks also for the customer care info. Interesting.

GC

Must just be my GPX 6000 luck coming through again 🙂 Out of interest what lot number are your Torus, it says on them on the left hand side.  The problem might just be with the current revision and not older ones, the support person didn't indicate that the problem is only with new build numbers though.   Seeing mine have the latest firmware I guess I'll be waiting a couple of weeks to see if they resolve the problem and if they do it will just mean flashing on a new firmware I guess.

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

Out of interest what lot number are your Torus

21H1. I bought it around 3 weeks ago from amz.

GC

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

21H1. I bought it around 3 weeks ago from amz.

GC

Mine are 21F1, both of ours are made in 2021, there are lots made in 2022 but we both have older stock, either way they're both models running the latest firmware but if yours doesn't have the problem it might be something with my lot number and not yours and the support person just didn't want to acknowledge it, part shortage and substituting parts maybe.  I'll see what they come back with in a couple of weeks then return them if it all goes badly.

• Like 1

I have to admit though that I have only used it a couple of times. So the problem might not have manifested itself yet, but I will keep an eye on it and let you know in case the problem appears.

GC

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I have to admit though that I have only used it a couple of times. So the problem might not have manifested itself yet, but I will keep an eye on it and let you know in case the problem appears.

GC

(BTW, I got my first 6k error today. The warning sign was lit and there was a constant tone. Power button did not respond, so I had to pull the battery out, that fixed it. But I don't want to be off topic.)

The first time I used my Torus I don't think I had the problem at all I came away super happy with them so I really don't think I'd not notice it that time, it showed on the second use and has remained ever since.    Sorry to hear about your 6000 issue.

After doing some research it seems the popping problem with aptX low latency is something that is not unusual, they've had it with their bluetooth speaker too,
https://avantree.com/knowledge-base/orbittc580-firmware-patch-v2-fix-crackling-noise-on-aptx-low-latency-headphones/

Their solution was a firmware upgrade to disable aptx LL on the speaker though 😞

Note: The cracking noise was only happen under aptX LL mode, pls note that this DFU fixes the problem by prioritizing FastStream or aptX codec than aptX LL. Which means when you completed this upgrade, they will not work under aptX LL codec. If you mind this, pls DO NOT upgrade.

I do wonder how many people wouldn't even notice it on the GPX 6000 as it's so noisy anyway so whats a few little pops and crackles in among the threshold, if you plug it into a computer with a Bluetooth low latency transmitter and play some music you'll notice it a lot more than a noisy metal detector.  The pops and crackles are a lesser volume than the threshold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

Thanks also for the customer care info.

Just on that.   I've only had 1 dealing with Avantree support (via email) and they were excellent.  Polite, helpful, informative.  

• Thanks 1

My Torus are Lot 20J1 and as you know they are on their second season, no troubles at all touch wood, but no noises other than gold are all I concentrate on, but I will listen during next mission starting end of this week but not be influenced by extraneous noises. I got over that hurdle many years back getting gold with noisy VLFs that were the bees knees at that time.

Trust GC your 6K troubles are small, suggest a light wipe with a wee methylated spirit on battery conxs. now and again , even the Z requires this on occasions but not as often (GPS, Hand-held radios etc also) remember the SDC C cells, dust being the culprit I suspect.

• Thanks 1