Optimizing Ground Coverage

10 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I had to go back and search all of Doc's content.  I thought the name of it was 'Gold is Not where you find it' but the search engine didn't pop it up for me.  I've had training from Doc and this approach of his is excellent.

That’s a great post from Doc, thanks for sharing it!  I really liked his quote about maximizing sampling: “Our secret is we spend our time processing dirt that is more likely to have gold, than other dirt.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I say gold is where you look for it and the most successful are those that look for it more right places than wrong.

100% agree. In fact, IMO knowing where to look based on extensive research and knowledge about the location is perhaps 80% of what it takes to find gold. The detector, and how to operate it properly, contributes to perhaps 20% or even less. Many do this wrong and barely find anything. This was my mistake when I started years back. Not that now I find fistfuls every time I go out, but at least consistently, albeit mostly small stuff. I am sure I won't beat Steve though, nor will I ever. 😉

• Thanks 1

The truth of the matter is that I know more correct places to look for gold on a beach than I do in the desert!  Part of that are the difficulties of extraction from the desert vs a beach.  My imagination for gold in the desert is limited.  When you know sources of gold and then imagine weathering patterns (alluvial flows, glaciers, reefs, pay layers, etc.) then you don't waste time in new rock and you go for the old rock where gold is being held.  Most areas have pay layers and most of those are out of the reach of detectors.  Placers are a good thing to find!  haha

Now it would be a good discussion to have about the types of gold.  Those definitions give clues about where to find it and the coverage needed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Most areas have pay layers and most of those are out of the reach of detectors.  Placers are a good thing to find

That's why I tend to always go back to places where I found gold before. I know this is not always a smart thing to do, but in the desert finding areas that consistently make your jar rattle are not easy to find. When I get adventurous I often get skunked...

• Like 1

This search produced an interesting site!  It brings a few things together for when I am out in the field.

https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/classification-of-gold-deposits-auriferous 

The 911 Metallurgist link is a good source.  The U.S. Geological Survey has also conducted research on a variety of gold deposit models.  This link provides information on some of their more recent work.

New Mineral Deposit Models for Gold, Phosphate Rare Earth Elements, and Placer Rare Earth Element-Titanium Resources (usgs.gov)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

100% agree. In fact, IMO knowing where to look based on extensive research and knowledge about the location is perhaps 80% of what it takes to find gold. The detector, and how to operate it properly, contributes to perhaps 20% or even less. Many do this wrong and barely find anything. This was my mistake when I started years back. Not that now I find fistfuls every time I go out, but at least consistently, albeit mostly small stuff. I am sure I won't beat Steve though, nor will I ever. 😉

We know this but yet we spend 80+% of our time on detector techniques!

• Like 1

You never know what's in front of you …Its the luck of the step.

• Like 1