Posted (edited)

Haven't posted anything in a while, messed my back up so my detecting is limited. Figured I would hit the beach and use my scoop so I don't have to bend over. Used the Multi Kruzer because I was just hitting the damp and dry sand. Picked up bit of clad, some trash and got a faint signal no numbers until I took a scoop then numbers came up, another half scoop down I got this Grant presidential coin. Date on it is 1877 but don't know when it was minted. Not bad shape for being at the beach.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

Edited by kac
Corrected coin to token for GB :)
  • Like 8

Cool find.

It's a brass presidential commemorative token for U.S. Grant.  1869 - 1877 were the years he served as President.   Appears to be manufactured by the Scovill button company as a commemorative collection piece in the mid 1900's. More info here: 

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1382674

Saw someone offering one in good, like new condition for about $7 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1869-1877-Ulysses-S-Grant-18th-President-The-American-Caesar-Coin-/133627292937?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Like 5

I think 'coin' is a stretch.  More like a token.  I remember back in the 60's these types of tokens were made and distibuted by various manufacturers and merchants as advertising collectibles.  Gasoline companies, grocery store chains, even bottling companies got into the act.  Assemble a full set and cash in for a premium/prize, etc.

Interesting find, probably dropped ~50 years ago would be my guess.

• Like 3

The mint made some $1 ones but those are newer I think.

Thanks Chase good find on research.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, kac said:

The mint made some $1 ones but those are newer I think.

Thanks Chase good find on research.

The mint made collector's $1 gold pieces and silver 50 cent pieces commemorating the centennial of Grant's birth in 1922.  There are varieties with and without an added star the mint added to juice the number of collectable varieties.  The stars were not originally intended to be added to the 50 cent pieces which significantly drove the collectable value of mint condition 50 cent pieces above that of the Gold dollars.

There is also a 2011 Manganese-Brass (same composition as the Sacagawea dollar coin)  commemorative Presidential dollar coin featuring Grant as part of the Presidential dollar coin program series 2007 - 2016.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Interesting find, probably dropped ~50 years ago would be my guess.

Sounds about right based on the info in the Smithsonian American History Museum link above.

• Like 1
  • kac changed the title to Not So Old Presidential Token

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By F350Platinum
      Got permission to hunt a new campground, they tell me no one has ever asked. 😈 Talked to the Assistant GM and he got permission from the boss. Carte Blanche again!! 🥳
      This place is huge, a lake, lots of playgrounds, volleyball, you name it. Over 1,000 campsites. I feel honored.
      Spent 10 minutes around the lake and volleyball court, got coins. Relics came from a huge farm that they are about to convert to new campsites. I was there about 2 hours.
      The small silver-ish jewelry fragment may be gold, I have to clean it up a bit more to see if it has a mark. It was a 5/6, and was about 8" deep. It has brown shiny jewels on it. The small ornate fragment looks to be copper, it was a 21 and says "KLD" on the back. What looks like an odd salt shaker top rounds out the relics. Other than that I found a lot of bullets and shotgun shell ends from the 1800s. Aluminum trash is non-existent in the farm. The lake is EMI city.
      Oldest coin is a 1970 penny. Going in the lake tomorrow.
    • By F350Platinum
      Went out for a couple of hours this morning. I find that the 2nd day after a big rain (we got 8"+ in two days) is better than the day after. It was a nice day, pretty cool and the deer flies are finally on the decline. I loaded up with Cutter and headed out to the steamboat landing, I have been mowing small portions of it for access to the river and to hunt the dirt as well. Can't do the whole thing, it's quite a few acres.
      I cleared this ~30x40' space that I think was where a small building was, there is brick and lots of iron. It's a challenge to find anything so I went for deep iffy signals that were for the most part repeatable.

I wasn't disappointed, great conduction today. Got the usual junk:
      Lamp parts, what might be gun parts, and shotgun shell ends. A couple nails. The round disc appears to be the back of a wristwatch, there are no markings.
      Dug a couple of wheats, a 1918 and one with no discernible date. The latter was 8" down under a root. Some chrome plated object, probably recent.
      The buckles were the most interesting things, first is a suspender buckle similar to one Chase found here, with a patent date:
      Second is what I think is from the 1700s, not sure whether it is for a shoe or knee:
      Unfortunately the rounded plate is twisted, I don't dare try to fix it.
      Last is another of the clip type buckles, this makes #3 and is the most spectacular of them all. I have the other half. This one is the most ornate:
      Got new headphones I'm going to try out there tomorrow.
    • By Dug2gld
      Had an invite to detect near Culpeper VA yesterday in the red dirt.  The tarsacci found this awesome Eagle button.  Have a couple hunts coming up near Culpeper in the next few months, I feel comfortable swinging the detector in the difficult soil. Will also be doing water hunts this summer.  

• By F350Platinum
      Thought I'd be wrapping up the RV park today, we decided to stay one more day. Been digging lots of stuff here, it's either been hit or there just isn't any silver. With all the techniques I've tried you'd think I'd find one silver coin. Still could be me... 🤔 But I have found silver (reales, US coins) so It's hard to believe it.
      The take today was just fun:

70s memorials, a 1916 wheat, an 1892 IHP. Box key lock plate, live .40 S&W hollowpoint, .380 FMJ. The snap is there to keep the bullets from rolling into my favorite find today:
      This 1920s brass advertising medallion for an obscure soda brand. Looks like it had a loop on top for keys or something. Info here:
      http://www.tazewell-orange.com/wascott.html
      Fun thing to find. Didn't see one in any collection so I may offer it up.
      Later I saw some people playing volleyball in a sand court. 😈 Hit that this evening, only got halfway through before the sun went down and my pinpointer died.
      Well there's one more day.
      There were some "gold" signals but I would be obligated to turn that stuff into the office I think. The gold would have sunk deeper than the modern coins IMHO, and it would be in the hard pan under the sand unless lost recently. I did get the '78 quarter there. Going to tell the maintenance guy to hit it when he gets his metal detector. 😀 He's hooked!
      It was a great day.
    • By F350Platinum
      I got better... 😀
      Went to the farmhouse yesterday and today. I feel like I'm at a beach, and it's ironic that it's Memorial Day weekend and I'm finding lots of memorials. 🇺🇸 The campground is full of Veterans, flags everywhere honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedom we have.
      Yesterday I dug the oldest coin so far, a wheat from the 40s, along with .46 in other newer coins:

Trash was minimal. Got a big brass spline bushing, and a few bits of molten aluminum and other junk, a couple of sinkers. The best finds of the day:

Copper or brass duck medallions and a copper electric lineman's loop nut. A Power company guy called it out as I dug it. The ducks may have been either prizes or on dog collars. Or something... 🤔
      The ground here is easy to dig except for roots, but it's sandy loam that feels like talc. Very fine dust.
      Today's finds were off the charts for me:

An old Lesney Matchbox Mercedes Trailer toy ca. 1967-69, a small octagonal compact, an aluminum token of some kind so encrusted it's unreadable, and 61 cents in modern coins.

I tried all suggestions and found @rod-pa's to be the most productive. Using my usual program with all metal off and going really slow allowed me to retrieve the dime in a hole full of nails. I only turned all metal on to verify that iron was present, but something better was also. I want to thank everyone yet again for all their guidance.

Those thunderstorms ended the day.

• By F350Platinum
      Only got about an hour and a half in at the farmhouse here in NC today. I found that the house is still on Google maps, so I had an actual photo to use with GPS and was able to identify exactly where the house was, and where I was in relation to it. Apparently it was taken down within the last 10 years.
      First and second hits were coins, a real Zincoln and a 1974 penny. The Zincoln was about 6" deep. The older one was about the same.
      There has to be some silver here! I took @rod-pa's suggestion and switched all metal off, looking for only deep high tones (15 up, my choice) that were repeatable, skipping the surface stuff (2-4") that I'm sure was can slaw. I think that since I don't have a lot of time I need to get busy and stick with the "good" stuff. There isn't a tremendous amount of iron here but it is significantly more than I thought. Dealing with iron cancelled out is easier, but kinda scary. I just never trusted it before.
      Got at least one real relic, a really nice brass rein guide complete with the attaching nut. It was a 30/31. Some copper tubing, some old gears (30-32 ID), bullet, and a shotgun shell. Only one piece of iron got me. I found some wire but dropped it off in a trash can.
      The Howard Jones tune played in my head so hence the title.