Not So Old Presidential Token

Haven't posted anything in a while, messed my back up so my detecting is limited. Figured I would hit the beach and use my scoop so I don't have to bend over. Used the Multi Kruzer because I was just hitting the damp and dry sand. Picked up bit of clad, some trash and got a faint signal no numbers until I took a scoop then numbers came up, another half scoop down I got this Grant presidential coin. Date on it is 1877 but don't know when it was minted. Not bad shape for being at the beach.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

• Like 8

Cool find.

It's a brass presidential commemorative token for U.S. Grant.  1869 - 1877 were the years he served as President.   Appears to be manufactured by the Scovill button company as a commemorative collection piece in the mid 1900's. More info here: 

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1382674

Saw someone offering one in good, like new condition for about $7 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1869-1877-Ulysses-S-Grant-18th-President-The-American-Caesar-Coin-/133627292937?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Like 5

I think 'coin' is a stretch.  More like a token.  I remember back in the 60's these types of tokens were made and distibuted by various manufacturers and merchants as advertising collectibles.  Gasoline companies, grocery store chains, even bottling companies got into the act.  Assemble a full set and cash in for a premium/prize, etc.

Interesting find, probably dropped ~50 years ago would be my guess.

• Like 3

The mint made some $1 ones but those are newer I think.

Thanks Chase good find on research.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kac said:

The mint made some $1 ones but those are newer I think.

Thanks Chase good find on research.

The mint made collector's $1 gold pieces and silver 50 cent pieces commemorating the centennial of Grant's birth in 1922.  There are varieties with and without an added star the mint added to juice the number of collectable varieties.  The stars were not originally intended to be added to the 50 cent pieces which significantly drove the collectable value of mint condition 50 cent pieces above that of the Gold dollars.

There is also a 2011 Manganese-Brass (same composition as the Sacagawea dollar coin)  commemorative Presidential dollar coin featuring Grant as part of the Presidential dollar coin program series 2007 - 2016.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Not So Old Presidential Token