Jump to content

Hot Dirt Relic Hunting And The Unvarnished Truth Regarding VLF Induction Balance Detectors (and Other Opinionated Musings By Chase)


Recommended Posts

  • Chase Goldman changed the title to Hot Dirt Relic Hunting And The Unvarnished Truth Regarding VLF Induction Balance Detectors

Great presentation Chase. I know I'm a long way from real experience, but I've been reading lots of the real-results posts regarding all detectors for some time now, and I was afraid to remark that the GPX is a real monster when it comes to locating the good stuff. Other posters like @schoolofhardNox always come back with the haul of the day.

Right now the Equinox is doing great for me.

Maybe someday I'll be worthy of one! 😀

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent post, really puts a reality to what people think about vlf's in tough ground. Average or mild ground I assume the Nox and Deus hold their own and are better vs trash than the GPX. I say that because everyone thinks their dirt is tough, here in New England we get patches that are bad but for the most part majority of the dirt here is mild.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Chase Goldman changed the title to Hot Dirt Relic Hunting And The Unvarnished Truth Regarding VLF Induction Balance Detectors (and Other Opinionated Musings By Chase)
1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Great presentation Chase. I know I'm a long way from real experience, but I've been reading lots of the real-results posts regarding all detectors for some time now, and I was afraid to remark that the GPX is a real monster when it comes to locating the good stuff. Other posters like @schoolofhardNox always come back with the haul of the day.

Right now the Equinox is doing great for me.

Maybe someday I'll be worthy of one! 😀

In your situation, not sure the GPX really is a good value - your dirt is really mild and the Equinox kills it there.  Really all you need other than a backup detector.  The Tarsacci might actually be an interesting machine to test out in your brackish water.  Might drop mine off for you to try out in that situation now that relic season is on hiatus for me until late summer/early fall.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

In your situation, not sure the GPX really is a good value - your dirt is really mild and the Equinox kills it there.  Really all you need other than a backup detector.  The Tarsacci might actually be an interesting machine to test out in your brackish water.  Might drop mine off for you to try out in that situation now that relic season is on hiatus for me until late summer/early fall.

That would be interesting! The Nokta worked great here, haven't tried it on the water, but I dug some buttons and wheats. Isn't the Tarsacci sound kind of "bitty" like the Simplex?

When the tide is low there's a lot of "beach", you're welcome anytime that I'm not camping 😀 Some of it is kinda hard to get to but the water is getting warm. Almost walked across the river to that curved spit, but that's when I found the flintlock buttplate.

Been thinking of a backup, maybe the Apex?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

That would be interesting! The Nokta worked great here, haven't tried it on the water, but I dug some buttons and wheats. Isn't the Tarsacci sound kind of "bitty" like the Simplex?

The audio is pretty unique on the Tarsacci, actually.  Not like any I have heard on another detector.  Mixed mode is pretty cool when you have applied ferrous or ferrous + notch discrimination.  Salt balancing is a little tricky.

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

When the tide is low there's a lot of "beach", you're welcome anytime that I'm not camping 😀 Some of it is kinda hard to get to but the water is getting warm. Almost walked across the river to that curved spit, but that's when I found the flintlock buttplate.

I'll definitely be down for a few visits between now and fall, if nothing else than to just enjoy the scenery and some of your coffee :smile: and perhaps some drone video flyovers to plan for next fall. 

That Brown Bess butt plate was a fantastic find.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Been thinking of a backup, maybe the Apex?

Perhaps.  Looks like Garrett has made some good improvements with the latest updates - it is a solid, capable detector with good value, especially when you consider it is the least expensive multiple selectable frequency detector you can buy right now and has has 20 khz single frequency which is missing on your 600.  600 +  Apex covers a lot of bases with good value.  Might also want to see what Nokta comes up with this year.  Orx, though not inexpensive, might be something to think about if you have to pick your way through thick iron patches.  Alternatively, you might want to consider getting that 10X5 Coiltek accessory coil for your Equinox.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Perhaps.  Looks like Garrett has made some good improvements with the latest updates - it is a solid, capable detector with good value, especially when you consider it is the least expensive multiple selectable frequency detector you can buy right now and has has 20 khz single frequency which is missing on your 600.  600 +  Apex covers a lot of bases with good value.  Might also want to see what Nokta comes up with this year.  Orx, though not inexpensive, might be something to think about if you have to pick your way through thick iron patches.  Alternatively, you might want to consider getting that 10X5 Coiltek accessory coil for your Equinox.

All great suggestions. Nokta does seem to be a rising star. I'd want waterproof which is why I'm reluctant with the Apex. The Equinox is doing just fine, and lots of people are giving me great tips.

The Coiltek 10x5 has been preordered, got on Gerry's list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great write up and great series of hunts Chase. Thanks for the honest write up on some of the machines I do not own. I've heard similar opinions on them from other people as well. The most impressive thing you wrote is finding that bit, that deep in hot dirt with the cancel mode on. I'm also assuming it was a Minelab coil and not an after market coil. One thing for sure, you will not make any new friends from the VLF guys at the hunt 😄

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great write up and great series of hunts Chase. Thanks for the honest write up on some of the machines I do not own. I've heard similar opinions on them from other people as well. The most impressive thing you wrote is finding that bit, that deep in hot dirt with the cancel mode on. I'm also assuming it was a Minelab coil and not an after market coil. One thing for sure, you will not make any new friends from the VLF guys at the hunt 😄

Thanks.  The reactions at the post hunt get together were a combination of awe and [good natured] resentment.  I knew from previous experience there would be a post hunt prize for most minies dug, so it sort of became an obsession/test of will - otherwise I probably would have moved on after digging 10 or so.  Lol.

And yes, that bit boss was dug with a ML Commander coil, modified the caption accordingly.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By CVISChris
      Second day on the small flat but this time with the DEUS..   It pulled a few good targets using Fast with the XY screen.  The Mexican Real and the pistol tool were maybe an inch apart and the DEUS heard them both.  The more I use the Deus the more I like it.  Cool two piece button in 3 pieces was just under the grass.  I am having trouble reading the date on the coin so maybe somebody can see better than me?  





    • By abenson
      Spent 4 days in Nevada last week and hit 4 different places that consisted of a Military Fort and 3 ghost towns all on private property. Found a nice assortment of stuff. Coins are pretty crusty but should clean up OK. The holed looking coin turn out to be a ration token that has been counter stamped a bunch of time. It reads U.S, Subsistence Department on the one side and had One ration on the other.

       
    • By F350Platinum
      I'm camping in NC this week, a new campground that is on a remote island in the Currituck area. It's really an old campground that got a facelift from a big company. Did a ton of research (history, maps, aerials) before coming, they implied on the phone that metal detecting was ok here.
      Talked to some folks after scouting the place, it's over 400 acres of woods, marsh and shoreline that really doesn't have a beach except for about 50 feet at the end of a bulkhead. Got permission to pretty much do what I want from the management, really nice people. They pointed me to where an old farmhouse once stood:
      I brought my less intimidating shovel and promised to show them what I found. This place has been hunted by some YouTube personalities, I'm going to find their video if I can. The ground is similar to my landing back home and cuts like butter.
      Got pretty much skunked at the farmhouse in the 2 hours I was there, had to put on 100% Deet to keep the deer flies, mosquitoes, black flies and midges off me. The not so smelly stuff wasn't working.
      My trash was what I expected for the most part, can slaw, some brass, steel and other aluminum bits. Strange was the lack of much iron here. Everything was coming up in the 10-36 range! I was in all metal. Maybe I was just ignoring the iron.
      Got an "O" from either a Ford or Oldsmobile.
      Managed to dig 3 Zincolns, all 70s from when they said the house was pulled down. Odd too that they were all ID'ing from 22-26!
      Going to hunt the "beach" and may go in the water along the bulkhead. I'll probably go back to the farmhouse area if it gets a bit cooler.
    • By Goldpick
      I have been progressively working a Victorian era house site over the last week or so with the Deus and 9" HF coil, previously it had been detected with my Explorer SE Pro several years back, though obviously not thoroughly enough.  The oldest coin so far off the site was from 1862, though more desirable are the dog registration tags which are considered quite rare and fetch a decent price (not that I would ever sell them).  So far only one silver, an 1884 threepence.
      The soil here is also very sandy and drains well, leaving many of the finds in very good condition - some of the dog tags look like they were dropped yesterday and you can achieve some pretty good depths even with the 9" coil fitted.  Hope you enjoy the pics.
       












×
×
  • Create New...