Hot Dirt Relic Hunting And The Unvarnished Truth Regarding VLF Induction Balance Detectors (and Other Opinionated Musings By Chase)

• The title was changed to Hot Dirt Relic Hunting And The Unvarnished Truth Regarding VLF Induction Balance Detectors

Great presentation Chase. I know I'm a long way from real experience, but I've been reading lots of the real-results posts regarding all detectors for some time now, and I was afraid to remark that the GPX is a real monster when it comes to locating the good stuff. Other posters like @schoolofhardNox always come back with the haul of the day.

Right now the Equinox is doing great for me.

Maybe someday I'll be worthy of one! 😀

• Like 3

Excellent post, really puts a reality to what people think about vlf's in tough ground. Average or mild ground I assume the Nox and Deus hold their own and are better vs trash than the GPX. I say that because everyone thinks their dirt is tough, here in New England we get patches that are bad but for the most part majority of the dirt here is mild.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Hot Dirt Relic Hunting And The Unvarnished Truth Regarding VLF Induction Balance Detectors (and Other Opinionated Musings By Chase)
1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Great presentation Chase. I know I'm a long way from real experience, but I've been reading lots of the real-results posts regarding all detectors for some time now, and I was afraid to remark that the GPX is a real monster when it comes to locating the good stuff. Other posters like @schoolofhardNox always come back with the haul of the day.

Right now the Equinox is doing great for me.

Maybe someday I'll be worthy of one! 😀

In your situation, not sure the GPX really is a good value - your dirt is really mild and the Equinox kills it there.  Really all you need other than a backup detector.  The Tarsacci might actually be an interesting machine to test out in your brackish water.  Might drop mine off for you to try out in that situation now that relic season is on hiatus for me until late summer/early fall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

In your situation, not sure the GPX really is a good value - your dirt is really mild and the Equinox kills it there.  Really all you need other than a backup detector.  The Tarsacci might actually be an interesting machine to test out in your brackish water.  Might drop mine off for you to try out in that situation now that relic season is on hiatus for me until late summer/early fall.

That would be interesting! The Nokta worked great here, haven't tried it on the water, but I dug some buttons and wheats. Isn't the Tarsacci sound kind of "bitty" like the Simplex?

When the tide is low there's a lot of "beach", you're welcome anytime that I'm not camping 😀 Some of it is kinda hard to get to but the water is getting warm. Almost walked across the river to that curved spit, but that's when I found the flintlock buttplate.

Been thinking of a backup, maybe the Apex?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

That would be interesting! The Nokta worked great here, haven't tried it on the water, but I dug some buttons and wheats. Isn't the Tarsacci sound kind of "bitty" like the Simplex?

The audio is pretty unique on the Tarsacci, actually.  Not like any I have heard on another detector.  Mixed mode is pretty cool when you have applied ferrous or ferrous + notch discrimination.  Salt balancing is a little tricky.

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

When the tide is low there's a lot of "beach", you're welcome anytime that I'm not camping 😀 Some of it is kinda hard to get to but the water is getting warm. Almost walked across the river to that curved spit, but that's when I found the flintlock buttplate.

I'll definitely be down for a few visits between now and fall, if nothing else than to just enjoy the scenery and some of your coffee :smile: and perhaps some drone video flyovers to plan for next fall. 

That Brown Bess butt plate was a fantastic find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Been thinking of a backup, maybe the Apex?

Perhaps.  Looks like Garrett has made some good improvements with the latest updates - it is a solid, capable detector with good value, especially when you consider it is the least expensive multiple selectable frequency detector you can buy right now and has has 20 khz single frequency which is missing on your 600.  600 +  Apex covers a lot of bases with good value.  Might also want to see what Nokta comes up with this year.  Orx, though not inexpensive, might be something to think about if you have to pick your way through thick iron patches.  Alternatively, you might want to consider getting that 10X5 Coiltek accessory coil for your Equinox.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Perhaps.  Looks like Garrett has made some good improvements with the latest updates - it is a solid, capable detector with good value, especially when you consider it is the least expensive multiple selectable frequency detector you can buy right now and has has 20 khz single frequency which is missing on your 600.  600 +  Apex covers a lot of bases with good value.  Might also want to see what Nokta comes up with this year.  Orx, though not inexpensive, might be something to think about if you have to pick your way through thick iron patches.  Alternatively, you might want to consider getting that 10X5 Coiltek accessory coil for your Equinox.

All great suggestions. Nokta does seem to be a rising star. I'd want waterproof which is why I'm reluctant with the Apex. The Equinox is doing just fine, and lots of people are giving me great tips.

The Coiltek 10x5 has been preordered, got on Gerry's list.

• Like 1

Great write up and great series of hunts Chase. Thanks for the honest write up on some of the machines I do not own. I've heard similar opinions on them from other people as well. The most impressive thing you wrote is finding that bit, that deep in hot dirt with the cancel mode on. I'm also assuming it was a Minelab coil and not an after market coil. One thing for sure, you will not make any new friends from the VLF guys at the hunt 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great write up and great series of hunts Chase. Thanks for the honest write up on some of the machines I do not own. I've heard similar opinions on them from other people as well. The most impressive thing you wrote is finding that bit, that deep in hot dirt with the cancel mode on. I'm also assuming it was a Minelab coil and not an after market coil. One thing for sure, you will not make any new friends from the VLF guys at the hunt 😄

Thanks.  The reactions at the post hunt get together were a combination of awe and [good natured] resentment.  I knew from previous experience there would be a post hunt prize for most minies dug, so it sort of became an obsession/test of will - otherwise I probably would have moved on after digging 10 or so.  Lol.

And yes, that bit boss was dug with a ML Commander coil, modified the caption accordingly.

• Like 3