Is There A Trick To Open The Dxf / Xlt Display Pod Without Breaking The Plastic?

You might try emailing Todd Marshall at centrevilleelectronicsnw@gmail.com. I think Todd was the lead repair technician at White's and now does warranty and repair work on White's detectors. He has answered my questions in the past. He also has an online store with some White's parts. The website is https://centrevilleelectronicsnw.com/

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GeoBill said:

You might try emailing Todd Marshall at centrevilleelectronicsnw@gmail.com. I think Todd was the lead repair technician at White's and now does warranty and repair work on White's detectors. He has answered my questions in the past. He also has an online store with some White's parts. The website is https://centrevilleelectronicsnw.com/

Cheers

Bill

Thanks for your reply, Bill. I'll give it a try.

Thank you, Steve. Think I'll start with the two bottom tabs where the foam rubber sticks to. In the past I had bad luck doing so, this time I'll do some heating first with an air gun so the plastic will be more flexible. I have two old display pods for some training. Next sunday seems good...

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 11:03 AM, locator said:

Thank you, Steve. Think I'll start with the two bottom tabs where the foam rubber sticks to. In the past I had bad luck doing so, this time I'll do some heating first with an air gun so the plastic will be more flexible. I have two old display pods for some training. Next sunday seems good...

I think you’ve got the right idea. Looks like the top tab is the “levering tab” that gets placed first, then push lower half together to snap together? Would make sense also as prying on the bottom half would tend to hide any minor damage from prying.

• Thanks 1

Today I managed the LCD-change on the DFX. As I mentioned I had some bad luck in the past while opening those display pods just by prying the tabs of the display cover. The upper tab, right above the White’s Spectrum DFX logo, is very fragile and always broke as one of the lower tabs did also.

1967859969_SpectrumDFX1_1.thumb.JPG.582c269216c273b617b0657c35eda188.JPG

This time I first heated the plastic with an adjustable heat gun. 80°C was not warm enough so I used 100°C and with the opening tool used on the two bottom tabs it opened up very easily. It just needed a little pry to the upper tab and it was over the hump.

2094537084_OpeningTool.thumb.jpg.65b45ea39c78f4b147982a602b1b18a7.jpg

Now disconnecting the wires, changing the LCD, reconnect all contacts and closing the display pod was done in a breeze.

The new LCD works as it should.

2115493042_SpectrumDFXnd.thumb.jpg.86be58e683f5c590932e1b2151bb7e29.jpg

1791834692_SpectrumDFXnd_2.thumb.jpg.f4cc6f8b0b64da14bea4ee1c19148a67.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help, Steve.👍

BTW, till now I got no response from centrevilleelectronicsnw. But what else would they recommend?😁

If anyone will use this tips be aware to damage your detector. What worked here for me in my contitions may not work for you on different conditions. Doing some pictures of the connections may help to reassemble all. Remember, all you do to your gear is done at your own risk.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work. Where did you get the tools?

Jim

Many thanks! Looks like a couple of tools I should have around.

Jim