Testing The Garrett Apex + Ripper 5x8 Coil In A Thick Iron Trashed Area

Very nice report. Please continue updating us with your evaluations. Thanks.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Testing The Garrett Apex + Ripper 5X8 Coil In a thick Iron Trashed Area :
  • The title was changed to Testing The Garrett Apex + Ripper 5x8 Coil In A Thick Iron Trashed Area

Excellent report! There were teething pains with Apex, and this combined with ten minute test experts made for a rough introduction. I wish people would actually make good faith attempts to really use detectors before rushing to YouTube to trash them, but getting eyeballs is more important than accuracy apparently. I’ve found the machine to be better than some early reports, and it’s nice to see confirmation from you. I’ve got a new Ripper coil, but have not had it out yet. Maybe tomorrow.

The Iron Audio is not identical to the all metal option offered on other models. I wish it was. It has some odd quirks that I’ve been meaning to write up. Best bet is to use the all metal mode if you want all metals, as activating iron audio in some other modes does not just switch to all metal. It’s more complicated than that, but no time to go over it now.

I’m fine with the rod. It’s not a Deus rod, true, but compared to say, Equinox, it’s great. The thing you mentioned as a negative that most caught my eye was the lack of display as to what frequency mode a person is in. You have to go into settings to confirm what should be on screen.

• Like 6

Thanks for the report, Palzynski. A few days back I decided, if my Whites MF detectors break (DFX / VX3) the Apex will definitely be the next one. (or if they become to heavy...😪)

And congrats on those nice coins.👍 WTG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Iron Audio is not identical to the all metal option offered on other models. I wish it was. It has some very odd quirks that I’ve been meaning to write up. Best bet is to use the all metal mode if you want all metals, as activating iron audio in some other modes does not just switch to all metal. It’s more complicated than that, but no time to go over it now.

Actually I found that the Apex manual is not very clear about this "Iron Audio" function . I just discovered in the field that pressing the Iron Audio allows to hear the low ferrous tones and that works well for me at the moment ... I will try to understand the Iron Audio details when I have some time  available... 

I have never tried the all metal ZERO mode yet, yes may be an interesting mode I will try it.

On the other hand yes I have had teething pains 🙂 last year with my Apex because of this faulty Viper coil . The reason why my first reports were so negative ...  I hope that Garrett has solved this quality issue now ...  

Anyway I have a totally different machine compared to the one I had last year and I enjoy it  now  ... 🙂

• Like 3

Alain ... Congratulations on finding nice old coins ,, you did a really good job with Apex ... and I'm glad that Apex brings you good luck ...👍:smile:
Finally, I still stop the opinion that the right coil .. really can optimize the work of the detector on the given terrain ... or in terms of separation, or depth of detection ..

As for the Iron audio in the garrett - so I'm glad it's a definite setting of the detector in all metal with a strongly amplified iron bias - which can distinguish well Ferromagnetic targets ...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Iron Audio is not identical to the all metal option offered on other models. I wish it was. It has some odd quirks that I’ve been meaning to write up. Best bet is to use the all metal mode if you want all metals, as activating iron audio in some other modes does not just switch to all metal. It’s more complicated than that, but no time to go over it now.

Yes.  This has always confused me because it is dependent on the disc setting.  Weird.

22 hours ago, palzynski said:

So I confirm that the Apex is a very good detector in iron trash. It outperforms the ML multifreqs
in iron trash to my opinion.

This is a very powerful claim.  You are changing my perspective on Apex.  Would like to see some reviews by folks using it in hot ground. 

Andy Benson (abenson on the forum) was not a big fan of Apex and I respect his opinion because we have very similar detecting philosophies and detector knowledge.  I wonder whether his opinion would change with this coil and with the latest firmware update similar to how you turned around on this machine.   

Still not a fan of Garrett audio in general and the mediocre recovery really bothers me, but there is no other multiple selectable frequency machines at this price point.  Single frequency is a key feature missing from Vanquish IMO (along with adjustable ground balance).  If I was faced with a decision between Vanquish and Apex - no brainer I would select Apex sight unseen. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Alain ... Congratulations on finding nice old coins ,, you did a really good job with Apex ... and I'm glad that Apex brings you good luck ...👍:smile:
Finally, I still stop the opinion that the right coil .. really can optimize the work of the detector on the given terrain ... or in terms of separation, or depth of detection ..

As for the Iron audio in the garrett - so I'm glad it's a definite setting of the detector in all metal with a strongly amplified iron bias - which can distinguish well Ferromagnetic targets ...

Thanks Slavomir , yes the Ripper coil is the right coil for hunting small areas littered with iron trash and I like it .  I have tested a little the Viper since I received the new one from the Garett support ,  this coil also works very well  ; excellent iron filtering and reactivity on targets.  The Viper will be the right coil for open areas like open fields , beaches etc I think ...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

This is a very powerful claim.  You are changing my perspective on Apex.  Would like to see some reviews by folks using it in hot ground. 

Andy Benson (abenson on the forum) was not a big fan of Apex and I respect his opinion because we have very similar detecting philosophies and detector knowledge.  I wonder whether his opinion would change with this coil and with the latest firmware update similar to how you turned around on this machine.   

Still not a fan of Garrett audio in general and the mediocre recovery really bothers me, but there is no other multiple selectable frequency machines at this price point.  Single frequency is a key feature missing from Vanquish IMO (along with adjustable ground balance).  If I was faced with a decision between Vanquish and Apex - no brainer I would select Apex sight unseen. 

It's possible I had a bad machine/coil I even said that once, so maybe the Apex didn't get a fair shake from me. But that's Garrett's problem, don't put out a machine until you got all the issues worked out. And there were clearly issues with a lot of Apexs. Based on the machine I had it wasn't evident that it had issues. But who really knows as I sold it. 

Some people love the Apex and its performance. I truly loved the feel and features of the Apex. But performance in IMO was not up snuff with other detectors in the same price range. I won't name brands since it's a Garrett forum.

I think for someone with a budget the Apex is a fine choice for modern coin and jewelry hunting.  But for me it ends there. I'm a relic, beach and gold nugget hunter. So the question I have to ask myself is; would I reach first for an Apex at any of my current sites? And the answer is no.

Will i ever own another Apex? Maybe, once it's clear Garrett has all the issues worked out. Sounds like the latest update is a step in the right direction. At least they saw all the video's people were putting out and are making steps to improve. I think the dumbest thing a detector company can do is put their products in the hands of users and then not listen to criticism.

I look forward to seeing what Garrett does with an AT series Apex.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, abenson said:

So the question I have to ask myself is; would I reach first for an Apex at any of my current sites? And the answer is no.

Sometimes I think you guys think we are trying to sell you on detectors when we are merely discussing them. Apex is not my first choice in a detector, as I still consider it a mid-range product. That does not mean there is not a place for the detector, or people who would not love it. But in general you guys striving for absolute best splitting hairs performance, just take a pass and quit worrying about it.

I keep struggling to find a way to discuss detectors that nobody claims are the absolute best, without it turning into “it’s not the best so it’s no good”. These forums tend to be very elitist, when in the real world lots of people sport mid range and even entry level detectors and do quite well. Garrett is a very popular brand in the U.S., but you’d never know it here as we let Garrett folks know their machines will never be as good as OUR machines. 

The basic idea seems to be each manufacturer should just make their best detector, and drop the rest. Because there is not a bit of room on the market for anything but the best.

• Like 7