Does anyone know a way to dip in grass without the grass dying. When digging in my yard, I try to not kill the grass. But the circle of grass in dig always turns brown/yellow. I was wondering if there was a way to prevent this, or is this something that just happens. Thanks!

Yes.  Instead of cutting a complete circular plug, cut a flap plug, that leaves part of the root system intact and lessens the chance of the flap yellowing.  Alternatively, if the targets are relatively shallow, you can use a probe or screwdriver to find the target and then flip it out without actually cutting a plug.  This is the preferred method in parks and well manicured lawns.

• Like 2

If the ground is really dry I have put water in the holes if it's in a nicer yard. Some water in the hole has kept any grass from dying. I also make 3 cuts and lift the sod and roll it back in when I'm done.

• Like 4

What Chase and Rick said. 

Depending on conditions, there really is no way to reliably cut plugs to prevent at least some grass from dying. The only real way from what I've read to to avoid digging at bad times (hot and dry season).

When I dig in an area where I'm concerned about killing grass, I will either only do it when it's not too hot and there's been a recent rain (or rain is forecasted within the next day or two) or I will carry water with me to pour over the plug after I've replaced it.

The basic rule - only hunt turf when it is moist. If a plug has moisture, it will grow back, If it is bone dry, probably not. I reserve my groomed park coin detecting for the rainy season, or parks with good watering systems.

Golf courses deal with this daily, and still look good. The proper digging methods really help, but ultimately it is a moisture thing.

IMG_0038.PNG