GPX 5000 - Having Trouble Smoothing.... Threshold?

Still very new to the gpx. I go through the routine of EMI reduction and then GB, but even when absolutely motion less, every 5 seconds I get a warbling sound that lasts for about a second or so. When I start to swing a bit, it still does that warbling at the same interval. This is with the 11 commander DD. I haven’t tried this with the mono yet. I do have a single phase 7200V line about 200’ away. All settings are at factory presets. I have tried adjusting RX gain and stabilizer without success. The only thing that smooths it out is the cancel switch. Is this a common occurrence? I’ve searched 25 pages of Minelab forum pages (here) to root out the answer, but no luck yet.

Thank you

Sounds like you have successfully diagnosed the problem yourself 👍

EMI is just about guaranteed to be the problem. Have you tried moving further away from the power source because if the problem is gone then you know for sure that EMI is the culprit. With the mono coil then the problem should be significantly worse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skozzy99 said:

Still very new to the gpx. I go through the routine of EMI reduction and then GB, but even when absolutely motion less, every 5 seconds I get a warbling sound that lasts for about a second or so. When I start to swing a bit, it still does that warbling at the same interval. This is with the 11 commander DD. I haven’t tried this with the mono yet. I do have a single phase 7200V line about 200’ away. All settings are at factory presets. I have tried adjusting RX gain and stabilizer without success. The only thing that smooths it out is the cancel switch. Is this a common occurrence? I’ve searched 25 pages of Minelab forum pages (here) to root out the answer, but no luck yet.

Thank you

If you change your manual noise cancel settings  (up or down) the warbling should go faster or slower. I have to run my noise cancel at 209 on my beach. If I change the number, the warbling can quicken (worsen). That Is how I know that even thought there is a lot of frequencies that the noise cancel can go through, there are some areas that the best the noise cancel can do is warble less. In those case, with a DD coil, you may have to use cancel mode which should quiet your machine right down. But you loose some depth for sure. Your situation is normal, at least from my experience.

• Like 1

It did turn out to be EMI interference after all. I went up a logging road to get clear of any power lines. First tried the DD then the mono with no issues. Nice smooth threshold hum. Now just have to learn which hits to dig. I know....dig em all. Lol

• Like 2

• The title was changed to GPX 5000 - Having Trouble Smoothing.... Threshold?