Tarsacci 10x5 Coil

I know myself over the years liked to hunt with a small coil but you had the option of a round coil and really was it 

Now days you can get them in about any variation one would want.

I’d like to hear from others if you see the need for a smaller coil like the one I started this post with.

Up front I want everyone know I think the beast 12” coil is great and I don’t have trouble swinging it. For myself I see the need of having a small coil would be a advantage to me when not a BeachHunter .

The main advantage to a small coil to start with is you can get it in places that 12” won’t fit.

As always the Best To all!

Chuck 

I can see where a certain type of detectorist would want the small coil.  That is a niche type of hunting and equipment for it would be ideal.  

The question from a Research and Development and then costs to create that coil would be the question.  Would the number of coils sold be enough to turn a profit after the costs, Research and Development.  

Some love 6” round coils for hunting in playgrounds and around certain objects.  I have tried 6” coils in the past but I do not have the patience for them in my style of detecting.  

Hopefully they will work on something in the future.  Technology is constantly evolving and no telling what is on the horizon for this company or machine 

Chuck, well there is the original 11x8.5 coil, at least - with a good balance between coverage, separation, and weight.  Better than what ML offered for the Equinox, ironically (had to step way down to the 6" hockey puck if you wanted anything smaller than the stock coil).  Tarsacci is a company with few resources and a single detector model so cranking out accessory coils is a big deal.  It took a lot of cajoling to get Dimitar to develop the 12" coil and it appears to be very popular amongst the Tarsacci faithful.  Doubt you are going to see him invest in another coil design any time soon.

• Thanks 1

Chase  

Thanks for your input and just maybe I do need to take a look at the stock coil.

I don’t believe anyone is going to make a coil specifically for me but I’d like to hear the opinion of others.

As always talk is cheap.

Chuck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase  

Thanks for your input and just maybe I do need to take a look at the stock coil.

I don’t believe anyone is going to make a coil specifically for me but I’d like to hear the opinion of others.

As always talk is cheap.

Chuck 

Never hurts to ask.  That's how the 12" coil got going, many were clamoring for one.

• Like 1

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.   A lot will depend on how many he sells to dirt diggers, just like the changes made, i think, to waterproofing it for the beach guys.  Changes cost money..... do them to quickly and you can end up with a lot of repairs as well.  One of the great advantages we have is Demitar is an avid hunter as well.  Even as a dirt hunter i found those tiny coils didnt give me a huge advantage if the standard coil (a lot of times 10") could be adjusted .... like lowering the sensitivity to work an area.  Target separation has come a longgggg way as well and we went digital which keeps improving.  The next question is HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILL TO PAY.   In most cases.... we have a second machine that works as well or better in those difficult areas that already has a small coil.  Notice also we got the 12" without a coil cover, that you will have to buy otherwise we might not still have gotten the coil.  Difficult times with a lot of stuff coming from China.

• Like 3

Like I always told my kids it doesn’t hurt to ask because the most I can say is No . Sometimes I did say yes.

Chuck 

2 hours ago, JimT said:

Doubtful.  You really need a custom fit coil cover to ensure a snug design.  I believe The Beast coil assembly overfills the epoxy so it actually protrudes beyond the coil mold channels a bit which has to be considered in the cover design and there is a lot of variability in coils that fall in the 12” class based on the fact that rarely are the dimensions of the coils exactly at 12” with actual molds ranging from 11.5 to 12.5 inches from model to model while all are called 12” coils,  they also may not be perfectly round, and then there are small manufacturing tolerance variabilities associated within specific coil models.  You are rolling the dice by simply grabbing a “generic” 12-inch cover without having it in hand to test the fit before you actually purchase it.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

You are rolling the dice by simply grabbing a “generic” 12-inch cover without having it in hand to test the fit before you actually purchase it.

Yep, and thus the advantage of having a brick-and-mortar store within reach.  I know of one which is only 1100 miles from me (Gold n Detectors in Golden, Colorado) but luckily I'm headed that way in a month with two coils I need covers for.  They have an entire aisle of coil covers spanning, I don't know, the last 30-40 years!  I don't mind a cover that's a bit oversize so I think even if they don't have the factory cover I should be able to find a close-enough match.  🤞

Those days are fading fast, unfortunately.

• Like 1